Advice on 4.2 liter diesel engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a parts source for original Toyota engine parts.The motor is a 4.2 liter diesel turbo.Its out of a 1991 land cruiser 81 right hand drive.I need a replacement longblock and/or complete rebuild kit.

Check the JDM/Diesel classifieds, I think there's one FS now.

Looking for a parts source for original Toyota engine parts.The motor is a 4.2 liter diesel turbo.Its out of a 1991 land cruiser 81 right hand drive.I need a replacement longblock and/or complete rebuild kit.
Or you could buy my whole turbo diesel hdj81 for 7500$;) lockers and all

these motors are pretty reliable except for the BEB. What's wrong with it?

Pretty much all cylinders
20160627_103909.jpg

This one was over ran and it cracked the head clean through the valve seats and apparently got hot enough it shifted the middle 2 cylinders sideways in the middle...it was sold to me as a rebuild able core...kinda hard to rebuild with significant block distortion.

:slap:
This one was over ran and it cracked the head clean through the valve seats and apparently got hot enough it shifted the middle 2 cylinders sideways in the middle...it was sold to me as a rebuild able core...kinda hard to rebuild with significant block distortion.
Just gotta overbite it a wee bit extra? :slap:

:slap:
Just gotta overbite it a wee bit extra? :slap:
Lol, not so much. The middle two cylinders were literally shifted, the top 2" of the middle 2 cylinders were shifted over an 1/8 inch off center, enough so that pulling the liners was a serious task and that you could see/feel the internal webbing of the block between cylinders. The machine shop told me they could maybe fix it but couldn't guarantee it. They'd have to bore it nearly 1/2" over and press a sleeve into the block and then bore the sleeve and press liners in, and they were worried they would be cutting into coolant jacket if they did it. Long story short, New old stock block was purchased.

One day (hopefully this year but probably next yr with current income) I will get a replacement for the original 1hz diesel donk in my 80. It's up to 614 k km's now! Still runs - still need to do shims, but it's a dependable bugger. Should I retain the motor, I'll be very interested to see the state of the internals. Biggest cause of engine damage is oil abuse in my opinion! Regular oil and filter changes every 5000 km (some people say 10000 km) is the best insurance of longevity, plus regular renewal and attention to the cooling system.

I guess since US 80's never got diesel motors you guys clammer to get any that show up there? Here in Oz where it's the other way around (almost all 80's here are diesel and only a small percentage got the 1fzfe petrol motor) used 1hz's and 1hdt's are all over the place, but to get a properly rebuilt 1hdt (or 1hz rebuild and a turbo kit added) it'll cost A$10k easily. Not many diesel 80's here got the 1hdft but there are some around.

Craig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom