Advice/Help - strange loss of power today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
Any advice or comments welcome.
Today I drove 45 min at highway speed, then parked for 30 minutes.
When I got back n the truck it started and drove fine leaving the parking lot and as soon as I got on the main road it stalled out under throttle. Got back off the road into another parking lot where it continued to sputter any time I added throttle.
Turned the vehicle off, checked for any loose vacuum lines etc and found none.
Restated the vehicle an the condition was gone and dove 45 min home at freeway speed.
Once home I let it sit for 30 min and the condition happened again….bogs down under throttle.
Turned off the engine then restarted, no issue
It threw CEL code 22 which would indicate water temp sensor (though I replaced this sensor less than 10k miles ago)
I also have replaced the FPR and pulsation damper within the last 3,000 miles.
The fuel filter has leas than 5,000 miles on it.
The TPS was replaced and set to spec within the past 5,000 miles

The truck always has to be cranked once, turn key off, crank again and it fires up. Other than that it’s been flawless.

Interested in opinions:
- Fuel pump is about to die?
- I need another new water temp sensor
- It was a warm day and you drove at 65 mph which for some reason made it act weird after sitting for 30 min?
-Other

Last edited:
I'm not a 62 guy so I don't have any experience with the 3F-E, but if you got a CEL code 22 even for a moment, I'd replace that sensor again. It could be a dud.
When the engine is shut down after a good drive, that's when the coolant really heats up. Since the CEL code 22 as you say is a temp sensor malfunction- and the engine is really hot, I'd start there as a first call to action and swap that sucker out

Check your cold start injector. Did you replace with OEM temp sender? If not do OEM.

Yeah that water temp sensor is KEY! Mine bugged out and died on me while I was driving. Also check the wiring to the sensor as well, condition of the connector and terminals?. Wiggle it while the engine is running. Any changes? Wiggle the main harness that runs along the top end, any changes? The wiring on these old rigs are becoming something we should all pay attention to.

While doing a coolant flush on mine a few weeks ago, the old corroded wires on the water temp sensor connector finally broke, which gave me a code 22. The truck ran funky without it, could barely start it or give it any gas...the sensor was fine, just the brittle wiring pulled out of the connector. Check the connector for the water temp sensor first, and confirm the wiring is in place/not frayed or damaged. If it is, you will need to splice in a new connector from the harness side. There's a vendor here on Mud that sells a repair kit for it.

Thanks Guys. I’ll sleep easier tonight.
I’ll check the wiring, connectors and source an OEM temp sensor. I can’t remember what I had put in (OeM, used, aftermarket) since this is one of the first jobs I did back when I purchased it.
It’ll take a bit to get an OEM one but I’ll come back and update the thread once I do.
Cheers and thanks
I'm not a 62 guy so I don't have any experience with the 3F-E, but if you got a CEL code 22 even for a moment, I'd replace that sensor again. It could be a dud.
When the engine is shut down after a good drive, that's when the coolant really heats up. Since the CEL code 22 as you say is a temp sensor malfunction- and the engine is really hot, I'd start there as a first call to action and swap that sucker out

Fuel filter? I'm not a 62 guy either.

Check your cold start injector. Did you replace with OEM temp sender? If not do OEM.

Yeah that water temp sensor is KEY! Mine bugged out and died on me while I was driving. Also check the wiring to the sensor as well, condition of the connector and terminals?. Wiggle it while the engine is running. Any changes? Wiggle the main harness that runs along the top end, any changes? The wiring on these old rigs are becoming something we should all pay attention to.

While doing a coolant flush on mine a few weeks ago, the old corroded wires on the water temp sensor connector finally broke, which gave me a code 22. The truck ran funky without it, could barely start it or give it any gas...the sensor was fine, just the brittle wiring pulled out of the connector. Check the connector for the water temp sensor first, and confirm the wiring is in place/not frayed or damaged. If it is, you will need to splice in a new connector from the harness side. There's a vendor here on Mud that sells a repair kit for it.

After reading your comment again I have a question. While I plan to address the temp sensor (and I did already replace the sender unit as well)….I may end up doing the cold start timer switch as well.
Would a faulty cold start injector timer tell the ECU to continue firing off the cold start injector when the engine is hot which causes it to hesitate/stumble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom