Adventuregoat's FJ55 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up my 1969 out of Arizona. Appears to be mostly straight without horrific rust

1.JPG

Something interesting. My '69 came with a 1978 Perkins 4.236 diesel in it. After some research I've found these were popular in tractors and even some Land Rover Defenders. I'd guess it came out of a tractor by the looks of it. Has a turbo added on and some jerry rigged things here and there. Currently working to get her running again but it seems to be getting air in the fuel lines and it seems to have some bad seals at the injection pump.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Stripped the body down. I've definitely learned a lot more ways to take out a bolt in the process :bang: Especially those tailgate hinge bolts. A torch, dremel, chisel and hammer definitely came in handy!

6.JPG

Got my media blast material! I'm going with crushed glass and got a couple bags of glass bead since it's supposedly better for getting rust pitting than the crushed glass. After blasting I'm planning to go over with SPI epoxy primer then go into body work. Hopefully the body ain't too ugly and body work is a breeze :confused:

9.jpg

Welcome to the group and man you got lucky with that 69 body. What's your plan for the Perkins and rest of running gear?

I'd guess it came out of a tractor by the looks of it. Ha

Do you know if you have a (RSV) single acting agricultural governor or a (RQV) dual acting automotive governor in your pump?

Either will work but they act very different under load (think driving up a hill or driveway) and it would be good to know before your first test drive.

Do you know if you have a (RSV) single acting agricultural governor or a (RQV) dual acting automotive governor in your pump?

Either will work but they act very different under load (think driving up a hill or driveway) and it would be good to know before your first test drive.

It's an RSV pump. In your opinion, is this something that I should stick with or is it going to be a pain for driving on road?

In your opinion, is this something that I should stick with or is it going to be a pain for driving on road?
I would give it a try, some guys don't mind them other guys hate them, I don’t personally have any experience to share but I believe it would take some getting used to.

Good luck post more pictures when you get into the engine, I would love to see the inside of that beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom