AC Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get a sniffer and check it that way. That's how I found my leak, it could pick up the freon coming through the vents which turned out to be the evap behind the glove box.

Do you know who rents them? I rented a light from autozone but they don’t have a sniffer.

Update:

Shop did not find leak. I asked them about stop leak recommendations. They told me they would only use a product called Red Angel. Luckily there is a Napa next door and they put some in. I doubt this will work but I don’t want to throw parts at it either.

They didn’t have a sniffer and said they were unreliable. I called another ac shop and told me they use them. I’ll tak it to them if it leaks again.

Sucks....

Not a big fan of 'stop leak' products in an A/C system. If you have a slow leak....just let it leak and recharge periodically (1 a season for example), its not worth chasing down. IF the leak is more severe than that...then find it and FIX it.

I have a 'sniffer' but I agree with the first shop...they are of limited usefulness. I will use mine in the interior of a vehicle but not under the hood.

Thanks guys, i don’t have a lot of confidence in the stop leak either but I’m frustrated and I’ve thrown $300 at it so far and no resolution. I called a shop and they wanted $169 to sniff it out but I’ll wait til it happens again...I need a break. :(

Thanks guys, i don’t have a lot of confidence in the stop leak either but I’m frustrated and I’ve thrown $300 at it so far and no resolution. I called a shop and they wanted $169 to sniff it out but I’ll wait til it happens again...I need a break. :(

^^^^^ Excellent decision.

I have had good luck with an H-10 leak detector but I doubt you will be able to find one at auto zone for rent. Have you tried soap bubbles in a spray bottle?

I have had good luck with an H-10 leak detector but I doubt you will be able to find one at auto zone for rent. Have you tried soap bubbles in a spray bottle?

I have not.The AC shop added dye and did their leak tests and i went front to back with a light kit from autozone and didnt find anything. I also check front evap, but could not check rear as its attached to the AC lines and didnt want to chance braking something screwing around.

Just gonna wait and see. There is a shop that has a sniffer so ill take it their if it happens again. AC is a pain in the A and throwing money at it is very expensive. Im trying to minimize the blood loss :)

I have had leaks in the discharge line that never showed up with the black light. Hopefully you have some warning when it is getting low and it doesn't leave you hot on a long road trip.

Question...

When checking the front evap there was a little bit of water or some type of liquid (didn’t verify type) in there. Is there supposed to be some, as in water build up from condensation?

Question...

When checking the front evap there was a little bit of water or some type of liquid (didn’t verify type) in there. Is there supposed to be some, as in water build up from condensation?

Yes, should be a LOT of water if the ambient conditions are humid. Your A/C system besides removing heat from the air inside the cab also removes water vapor. That is why you will see the stream of water underneath your vehicle. It is coming from the evaporator and going out the drain line. If you live in a very dry climate it will be less.

I had a leak in my system. Added refridge with dye and leak stop and it sealed whatever the small leak was. I found refridg dye where the rear AC lines go up over the frame behind the large muffler at the back of the car. Seems to have sealed it there. Also saw some dye up at the front where the rear AC lines come down the firewall and there is an insulated section that is prone to rusting through.

OK, Check the fluid coming from the drip line in the front.. If the leak is in the evap core inside the cabin, you'll see the dye in the water dripping out.

That's where mine is. All the crap that collects in there through the cowl (oak leaves here in FL and GA are acidic) ate a small hole in the evap coil.

Have you tried Red Angel? My leak SIGNIFICANTLY slowed since I added that. Where i was adding once a month, now I'm adding once every 4 months. And not a lot..

Anyway, check there in the puddle coming from the evap core once you've added the dye. Then you know it's the core. If it's not leaking anywhere else- that's where it's leaking from.

You may want to consider buying a detector. They are not that expensive. I think I paid around $100 for mine (Robinair TIFXP-1A).

Every time something needs fixing, I look at paying myself (buy the tools) or have it fixed. Up to now windshield replacements and tire mounting have been one of the few things I needed to outsource. Not really saving money, but my tool collection is growing....

Thanks guys. I rented a light kit from autozone and did not see anything. I check the front evap and didnt see anything there. I didnt put it back right and its dripping water on the rubber mat. I was thinking of renting it again and checking the water for green dye. Not $100 anymore for that leak detector. But its the same price as the shop with a detector quoted me so i may buy it anyway...

@bucfl Good luck man. When you get low on refrigerant again- just put in a can of Red Angel, followed with some Freon and run for a few days. Today was 96 in Orlando with 100% humidity and it was blowing 45 at the vent in slow traffic.

The Red Angel actually did what it said, though not fully SOLVING the leak- it'll get me through the summer if i just have to add a half can of Freon once every 4-5 months. Seems as more time goes on, the leak gets slower and slower.

This winter I may also replace the Evap/Expansion/Condenser/drier/Compressor/Lines as a project and do it right.

For now, the Red Angel worked for me.

@bucfl Good luck man. When you get low on refrigerant again- just put in a can of Red Angel, followed with some Freon and run for a few days. Today was 96 in Orlando with 100% humidity and it was blowing 45 at the vent in slow traffic.

The Red Angel actually did what it said, though not fully SOLVING the leak- it'll get me through the summer if i just have to add a half can of Freon once every 4-5 months. Seems as more time goes on, the leak gets slower and slower.

This winter I may also replace the Evap/Expansion/Condenser/drier/Compressor/Lines as a project and do it right.

For now, the Red Angel worked for me.

Im glad to hear that Red Angel worked!!! I put some in a week ago. It usually takes like two weeks to to run out so fingers crossed. :)

Worked better than I expected

20180626_152930.jpg

UPDATE:

Past the two week mark and still blowing cold. Not sure if the Red Angel stop leak worked or for how long it will keep working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom