ac fan won't turn on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there,

Was driving around with the AC working fine. Was in store for a bit and after starting back up the fan won't blow air for the AC. The fuse isn't blown, circuit breaker in fuse box hasn't been tripped. Any other fuses to check?

Thanks,
Mike

grounds...connectors behind glove box, terminals that grab studs under the dash, connectors to the blower, switch...fusible links...

a test light on the wires going to the blower to see if you are getting juice to there; if yes, blower is dead; if not, check the connector to the switch to see if power is coming in. if yes, problem is switch or wiring to blower; if no, problem is if fuse or link feeding circuit. test each wire at the blower end of the harness to a body ground. if you find 12 volts, then look for the ground in the connector. if you can't find a ground at a connector terminal, your issue is a bad ground. electrical issues are not easy to track down.

Fan doesn't work with/without ac enabled. I've replaced that relay under the dash as well. Still no go. Guess I have to start eliminating things as Lambcrusher suggests. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

pull the fan from under the dash and open up the motor - they get gunked up over time. try connecting directly to the battery and see if it turns. if not there are three screws hold the fan assy to the dash bottom. unbolt the fan from the motor - motor from the mounting bracket and carefully open the motor. be aware that the brushes are mounted on springs. you may be able to just clean thing up, reassemble and be done. if the brushes are too worn you may have to replace the motor

The resistor is a good, easy place to start. You can order replacements from any auto parts store and they cost something around $25. It's difficult to identify in pictures where that resistor is, but you can access it if you're looking in from the driver door and reach behind your center dash.

You can still get the resistors from Toyota or Amayama, I just ordered mine. Mine's 24v btw so if you're 60 is 12v you will need a different part number.

zKU1k20.jpg

HG4eMsD.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with lambcrusher, disconnect the plug at the blower and probe w/12v tester hooked to a good ground. Also you can energize your blower at the same connection with jumper wires to see if your blower is dead. At least this way you can narrow your search to...wiring/switch/relay/ground problem or bad unit.

Cheers guys, I just bought my 61 so history is bit unclear......but my initial problem was that the fan wouldn't work. I ran a jumper across and it then had power but wouldn't activate. I then removed the rotor and cleaned the brushes which had surprisingly good amount of material remaining but were very dirty. After this, the fan worked fine, but I found I didn't have the two lower fan settings working. I've then had the resistor out and seems it's the last culprit, a genuine replacement resistor should sort me out and hopefully see me through for quite some time. Thanks guys.

Dirty slip rings is a real thing. Check the brushes!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom