A Zimbos Guide to building an FJ45... TAKE 2!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so, i bought a cheap boost gauge online to keep an eye on my turbo. i wanted to install it along side my tach, and at the same time, clean up the tach installation.

so cut a nice big hole in my dash and made up a panel to mount over it
IMG_1254[1].JPG

then fitted the gauges. got everything wired and plubed in, only to find the boost gauge didnt work.

its a mechanical gauge, didnt cost me too much and i couldnt send it back, so i thought, well, have nothing to lose, so i cut it open at the back so i could poke around and see if i could get it to work.

IMG_1303[1].JPG

and it worked! for some reason it wont read vacuum, but it reads boost alright. and its pretty accurate as well. my 12HT is boosting to just under 0.5 bar at 1600rpm. happy with that.

pics of finished install
IMG_1256[1].JPG

IMG_1257[2].JPG

also bought a new to me 2nd hand set of 31x10.5 R15's and put them on my old set of pro whites. prices here are still nuts, and for less than the price of ONE new Chinese tyre, i got 3 Yokohamas and a BFG, albeit, with slightly less tread than new. still a good deal in my books.

only issue i had with putting them on was the shop who did it. tell them, mount the tyres, put on car, inflate to 1.8 bar. 1.8 bar. i was very specific about that. because thats where i want them, because thats where they work best on our roads.

so what does the shop do? inflate to 2.6 bar. i could have throttled them. made the ride unbearable and my steering felt so light i was afraid of it. lesson learnt, check that the pressures are correct before you leave the shop.

anyways, heres the new look with the pro whites
IMG_1293[1].JPG

End of night 3.

Problems problems problems.

So, I was hopeful that the 12HT with its engine mounts would fit right in. Unfortunately that is not the case...

View attachment 1339973
This pic shows the difference of pitch between the current time 12HT mount and the 2F mount that came out of here.

Calling @watrob and anyone else who can chime in...

What mounts did you use to get your 12HT to fit the 40 series chassis?

At least I got here looking a bit better

View attachment 1339976

Let's hope I can find a solution to the engine mounts as quickly as possible.

Great Build thread, ive just started the same build. 1977 FJ45 (was 2F Petrol) and have a donor 12HT and 5 speed box from a 60 series to install. I have the same issue as you with regards to engine mounts. What solution did you come up with in the end ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom