A Very Sad Monday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anyone surprised the air bags did not deploy in this collision? Even if the car is repaired, my wife is now afraid to drive it again.
No. They don’t deploy simply because you’re in an accident. They deploy based on measured acceleration and yaw rates.

Is anyone surprised the air bags did not deploy in this collision? Even if the car is repaired, my wife is now afraid to drive it again.
It sounds like a conversation would help here. Possibly compare what could have happened were she in some sort of micro compact (smart car, etc) comparatively. That will likely give some perspective that may be lacking. Having an accident is scary. Walking away is a blessing.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident and hope there are no latent injuries or any drama with the insurance companies. I am a bit surprised the airbags didn't go off honestly - it certainly appears the deceleration rate and severity of the collision should have been enough to set them off based on other accident photos I've seen. I'm firmly in the camp of pushing to get vehicles totaled after significant damage and completely understand where your wife is coming from. Best of luck with the situation!

Really sad to see this post. I have the same vehicle, a '21 LC HE in Blizzard Pearl. I'd be heartbroken if it got totaled by some idiot running a light. That said, I'm glad no one got hurt. Agree with some of the other posters, if insurance totals it I'd just take the money and be done with it. There are always other vehicles out there.

You are not kidding, that is a very sad Monday. Glad everyone was ok. You can replace the truck. Good luck with the insurance bastards!

Glad you and wife are okay—as that is what matters most.

Did the guy run the red, you started rolling on green, and then you hit the other vehicle driver side?

From the photo orientation I only see damage to your front and damage to the driver side of the other.

NOTE: I take you at your word, but just trying to make sense of the photo.

Last edited:
Glad you and wife are okay—as that is what matters most.

Did the guy run the red, you started rolling on green, and then you hit the other vehicle driver side?

From the photo orientation I only see damage to your front and damage to the driver side of the other.

NOTE: I take you at your word, but I’m just trying to figure out the photo.
It does look unusual, but the other vehicle hit the very right front corner and basically scrapped along the front of our car. Our car was crossing the intersection after the light turned green when the other car clipped the front end.

Glad your wife is fine, I also find it curious the airbags didn't deploy but there's a few variables with that system.

I have a lot of LE friends and they have definitely noticed the uptick in people running lights and stop signs. My oldest son just started driving last October and for the past couple years, I've been telling him to count to "2 Mississippi" once the light turns green before going into the intersection. And definitely slow down if your coming to an intersection at speed where the light has turned green and you don't have a car in front of you.

We've witnessed quite a few near misses, and it seems to be getting worse.

No. They don’t deploy simply because you’re in an accident. They deploy based on measured acceleration and yaw rates.
Yeah, was in a very similar accident in a rental car once. Someone ran the red light and sheared the front bumper, etc. off my front. No airbags deployed- I was rolling slowly into the intersection and the other car hit from a perpendicular direction.

Yeah, was in a very similar accident in a rental car once. Someone ran the red light and sheared the front bumper, etc. off my front. No airbags deployed- I was rolling slowly into the intersection and the other car hit from a perpendicular direction.
Yes I think since the momentum on her body was toward the passenger side of the car, the airbag would not have made a difference anyway. Perhaps if someone was sitting in the passenger seat, their side bag might have deployed.

One other "fortunate" aspect to this crash, a man on a bicycle was in the crosswalk next to our vehicle,
and he probably would have been hit had our car not been there to block him.

I had that same hit on a 4Runner and while they tried to repair it, the frame had a wrinkle in it that would not come out so they had to total it after spending a ton of time on it and ordering all the parts. The frame ahead of the axle is so vulnerable to side hits like that, unfortunately.

airbags are designed to deploy when you hit a stationary and immovable object like a sequoia tree at 18mph of force. So if you hit a vehicle at 25mph but the other vehicle slides as it absorbs some energy they won’t deploy.

Glad your wife is fine, I also find it curious the airbags didn't deploy but there's a few variables with that system.

I have a lot of LE friends and they have definitely noticed the uptick in people running lights and stop signs. My oldest son just started driving last October and for the past couple years, I've been telling him to count to "2 Mississippi" once the light turns green before going into the intersection. And definitely slow down if your coming to an intersection at speed where the light has turned green and you don't have a car in front of you.

We've witnessed quite a few near misses, and it seems to be getting worse.
I see folks run them all the time in DFW. How dare someone have to wait at the light for a few minutes, such an inconvenience!

No.. I was disliking the fact that people run red lights. Guess I should have used :mad: I think our runner was probably distracted.
More than likely although I see plenty of drivers who are just flat out impatient and in a hurry. Whether it’s running a red light, rolling a stop sign, passing me when I’m doing the speed limit or even 5 over. Either way it’s frustrating. Moron drivers piss me off.

Glad you and your wife are ok. Sorry about your cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom