A new Saginaw gear box thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a saginaw PS swap on my 40. I have searched and read most of the threads pertaining to Saginaw gear boxes and the issues folks have had with obtaining the right one. I am now in that boat and looking for an update as most of the threads are a few years old now. I have tried the Napa part # that is referenced in @John Smith thread in the FAQ. That box is now a R&R only meaning return and rebuild so I'd have to find a core. I'm just curious if anyone has found a 4 bolt, 4.25 turn box on the shelf or online in the last few months.

Have you tried Rock Auto?

I recently installed an entire kit from Advanced Adapters. The gear box I used came with that kit. They do sell them separately although they are not inexpensive.

Call these guys. They can sell you one or tell you what model and where to get one.
wtor

Last edited:
The one I purchased was from Napa under part# 39-1033. It shows a core charge of about $55 which simply means it will cost you that much more without a core. The core charge would be returned if you return a gear box. I doubt they will check if it's the same box as long as it's another Saginaw box.

Have you tried Rock Auto?

I recently installed an entire kit from Advanced Adapters. The gear box I used came with that kit. They do sell them separately although they are not inexpensive.

I have tried Rock Auto. I have searched the part numbers I have and have also searched by a vehicle application chart that I was given at a local Napa. All of the 4 bolt, 4.25 turn boxes say Return and Rebuild only.

The one I purchased was from Napa under part# 39-1033. It shows a core charge of about $55 which simply means it will cost you that much more without a core. The core charge would be returned if you return a gear box. I doubt they will check if it's the same box as long as it's another Saginaw box.

That one is showing out of stock not available for online purchase. I see it also is listed as a 1.25" input shaft. Is that a misprint? I don't even see an option for a 1.25" steering u-joint anywhere. Most of them are 13/16" 36 spline.

I have tried Rock Auto. I have searched the part numbers I have and have also searched by a vehicle application chart that I was given at a local Napa. All of the 4 bolt, 4.25 turn boxes say Return and Rebuild only.

That one is showing out of stock not available for online purchase. I see it also is listed as a 1.25" input shaft. Is that a misprint? I don't even see an option for a 1.25" steering u-joint anywhere. Most of them are 13/16" 36 spline.
I did not see the not available info as I didn't add to cart. It is misprint as I have my product box in front of me and the PS box is installed and working just fine.

This is quoted from page 2 in my build when I did my sag. I mostly referenced another mudders @RWBeringer4x4 thread for tips.
I got my steering box from Carquest. Also available at AutoZone I believe.
Hope this helps.

My 1980 FJ40 Build

Some research done by @RWBeringer
""In case anyone is looking for confirmation of the other thousand saginaw steering posts, the box I ordered is listed below. I have confirmed that it is indeed 4 1/4 turns lock-to-lock, and has a 32-spline input gear. The store had it listed as 0.80" input gear, which equates to (almost) the same as 13/16." It should work!

1976 Jeep J20 Power Steering Box
Cardone Part #27-6529 (6529 was included in some way in every store/rebuilder I looked)
4 mounting bolts
4-1/4 turns lock to lock
32 spline, 13/16" (0.80") input gear""

J20 boxes have been R&R for some time now.

Jason, have you talked to Georg? I'm sure he's coming to Crawl. He may have something he could bring you.

J20 boxes have been R&R for some time now.

Jason, have you talked to Georg? I'm sure he's coming to Crawl. He may have something he could bring you.

Come to think of it.... I did NOT get my box from either store I previously mentioned (sorry, I've slept since then). I got my box, the mounting plate, firewall anchor and steering shaft from Jim (Downey) . Georg is also a great resource.

Georg @orangefj45 offered to sell me a box when I bought the rest of my PS swap stuff from him. I didn't take him up on it because I figured it wouldn't be any big deal to find one local. After looking around, I'm probably going to reach out to him. I know he has what I need and I won't have to worry about it being the wrong lock to lock ratio. Seems the supply on these boxes is drying up quick!

Wow - that is really too bad - I just did a quick search and it looks like they are "no longer available" from most parts houses. I bought the J20 box from Napa with the part number @TwelveGravity quoted above. Granted this was probably 4 years ago...I believe there was an early 70's or late 60's Chevy Impala part number that worked as well - but that was the one people were having hit-or-miss luck with being 4 turn vs. 3.5

Guess I'm going to have to take good care of the one I've got!

As an alternative, I think @Racer65 sells a pretty slick electric power steering - won't help you if you've already collected the rest of the parts - but if these have gone to R&R, they'll soon be discontinued, and we may all be going electric in a few years!

1. For clarification, In post #8 above, Kevin wrote about a 13/16-32 spline Saginaw input shaft. Saginaw makes a 13/16-36 splined input shaft, then grinds-off 4 splines to create a flat spot, but when counting a spline count you have to count a full 360 degrees of splines (i.e. 36 splines).

2. For those wealthy enough to afford an AGR "dual stage" steering gear box, you might find that the 3 1/2 turn boxes (from stop to stop) provide a much better gear ratio for on road and off road.

3. If I had no choice but the electric power steering conversion, I would definitely go for it, but the electric conversion still leaves too many middle men in the steering equation for my taste- - -still too much slop in the steering, still too many moving parts.

I recently had issues with my Saginaw box. The lack of information, and the amount of bad information on the internet about different Saginaw box specs is extremely surprising and frustrating. I went to 3-4 different auto parts stores locally, and literally opened up their steering gear boxes to try and find what I was looking for. I needed a 4 bolt, 4 turn, flare fitting, 13/16" input. I had no luck finding that combo.

Finally, a light bulb came on and I called @orangefj45 and got a NAPA part # from him. I can't believe I didn't do that earlier! I went that day and picked one up locally. Everything about it was perfect. I can't believe it took me so long to find it, or realize I should have called Georg earlier, but oh well.

Ended up with NAPA part # 39-1079. It was around $120.

Reactions: SMG
Thanks for the mentions and emerald guys, I appreciate it.

We use Napa # 39-1079

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

i just checked the part number as well from napa it's 129.00 but the core is 83.00 more bucks ... hmmm well, at least I know where to go when my box fails

Thanks for the info as well. I'm

Thanks for the input guys. I went with 27-6537 from Summit Racing. $99+$75 core charge. Box came in today and I can verify that it is indeed a 36 spline 13/16 input shaft with flared fittings and 4 mounting holes.

Jason

Is that a 3.5 or 4.25 turn box?

You DO NOT want the 3.5 turn ......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Quit being a sissy Georg. I even used a 2 1/2 turn once. Gotta be careful with it. It can catch you off guard. 4.25 lets you relax more
They don't guarantee a ratio but I got one of each, 3.5 and 4 , the last two I ordered. Personally I'm fine with a 3.5 as long is it's a true 3.5 and not a plugged box. Some of the boxes are plugged with a travel limiter

More Information for BBB / VISION-OE 5030110

If you want to be sure on the 4 turn, this one

More Information for ACDELCO 36G0103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom