A better bargain than Wheelskins for leather wrapping your steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '95 has seen a lot of years in the hot Texas sun, and the original leather on the steering wheel was pretty much beat. It had gotten chalky/rough and extremely unpleasant to handle while driving.

I searched the forum looking for replacement options, and saw at the high end some of you were paying $350+ for a company to professionally re-finish the wheel, and at the low end others were using Wheelskins leather wraps. I'm not made of money, so I initially went for the Wheelskins option, and found a kit for around $55 plus tax on Amazon. Just as I was about to check out, I noticed a similar product under "things other people bought after looking at this."

Here it is, for $14.32 as I write this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KA8G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Looks like an off-brand copy of Wheelskins' product. Just in case the link goes dead in the future, this is the title of the item:

Superior 58-0600B Superskin Steering Wheel Cover, Genuine Leather, Size "B", Black

They had a gray and tan version too, and my original wheel is gray, but it's a much darker gray than the one pictured on Amazon. I went for the black, because a lot of the dash trim in my cruiser is black, so why not? I measured my wheel's circumference and it seemed to match Size B on their chart.

This came out to a little over $15 with tax and 2 day shipping (Amazon Prime).

I got it in this afternoon and immediately got it out and went to work on it. Here are photos of what comes in the kit:
2015-06-04 10.57.12.jpg

2015-06-04 10.58.21.jpg

2015-06-04 10.58.26.jpg

In the little plastic bag is a bunch of woven nylon thread and two giant needles. The leather felt pretty nice and the grain was pretty consistent. I'm not sure how it could have been any better. I don't know 100% that it's real leather, but the packaging certainly said it was, and it could have fooled me, a non-leather-working expert.

Just from looking at the illustrations in the instructions, I decided to go with the straight stitch.

The first thing to do is get the leather stretched around the wheel. It's sized a little small, so you gotta wrestle with it a bit to get the leather over the wheel, which is good because it makes sure everything stays nice and tight.

2015-06-04 11.35.19 HDR.jpg

This step is important, you want to get the seams where you want them. I actually made mine a little off center by mistake. Oops. It won't bother me, though, and I'm not gonna do it again until this wheel cover starts to fall apart.

It took some time for me to get the hang of lacing this thing up. The pre-punched holes in the leather are small, and can be difficult to find. I found myself moving around a lot to look at the wheel from front and back to make sure I was getting the needle in the right hole (giggity).

2015-06-04 11.48.18.jpg

The biggest challenge early on is that there's SO much thread you have to pull through each time, I kept getting it tangled up and caught on things like the e-brake lever and even the passenger side seat belt. This gets easier as you use up more and more thread. After some trial and error you kinda figure out how tight you gotta make each loop of the thread, and how tight the leather will hold the loops. My advice would be to not tighten the loop down until you're sure it's in the right place. Back tracking can be a real pain in the rear because you gotta pull the thread out and put it through the eye of the needle again.

You'll probably do this at least a few times -- getting the thread through the needle is easiest if you take the thread and fold it over and just kinda smush it through the eye of the needle as best you can until some is sticking out on the other side. You can grab that with your fingers and pull it through easily after that.

More in the next post (attachment limit)

To pass the time I put my phone on the instrument cluster and cranked up some episodes of DS9 on Netflix. Two and a half episodes later (about an hour and 45 minutes) I was done. It was not difficult, you just need to take your time. Here's the result:

2015-06-04 13.46.15 HDR.jpg

2015-06-04 13.46.20 HDR.jpg

2015-06-04 13.46.37 HDR.jpg

I probably could have done a better looking job if I'd practiced first, but I wasn't really going for looks in the first place. The top seam ended up being a little off center, and I think I could have come up with a better looking way to work around the spokes. But anyway, it came out looking better than I expected. I just wanted my steering wheel to feel nice, and now it does.

Hope this helps someone else out there who thinks that $55 for a piece of leather and some nylon twine is a bit steep. For $15 and a little under two hours of watching Netflix, I could not be happier.

One caveat though, which probably applies to installing Wheelskins'product too; I would wear a work glove on my left hand if I did it again. All the pulling of the twine to make the loops tight ended up giving me a blister on my left index finger.

Last edited:
Looks good but you forgot the before picture so I can compare my wheel and see if it's really time for a new cover.

Looks good but you forgot the before picture so I can compare my wheel and see if it's really time for a new cover.

I thought the same, I don't think I have a photo of the before. Suffice it to say, it was in terrible shape. I had lived with it for a while because it was kept oily by my skin oil over the past few years (that's my guess anyway, gross).

This week I got my cruiser back from the shop and someone had driven it around with greasy hands which got all this nasty black oil and road grime into the leather and seams. I busted out the saddle soap and went to town, and in the process of cleaning off all the new and old filth, the leather underneath turned out to be extremely cracked and chalky-feeling. It was just unpleasant to handle. All the color was gone, as was that smooth surface you expect on undamaged leather. The bottom of the wheel was fine, but the top had just seen way too much heat and ultraviolet rays, I guess.

Even if this only lasts a few years, whatever. $15.

Cool, Thanks for the heads up. I've been in that situation a few times now getting ready to ad wheelskins to the cart... always wuss out due to the price because I'm a cheap bastard lol. Think I'll give this one a try

So, this thread says get a Size C; your thread says Size B. I guess that means we should double check our dimensions first. Looks good.

Edit: This is a better link for the Size C option referenced in the other thread.

Last edited:
Whoops, didn't see that thread in my browsing before buying.

I measured my steering wheel grip circumference with a measuring tape and size B was what was indicated by the manufacturer. I'm not sure how the other poster arrived at size C or insisted that it must be size C or else. He has a lot of info about ripping layers off his steering wheel and beefing it up with tape, etc, so maybe that made a difference, I don't know.

Size B worked 100% fine over my stock steering wheel leather. He is correct though, it probably would have been easier to install with it off the car. On the other hand, heading out there on a whim this afternoon I didn't know how to remove the steering wheel off the top of my head and it seemed like too much trouble anyway. Doing it on the car was a minor inconvenience.

Good point. He must have built up the steering wheel to more than stock with his new layers despite removing the original leather since the size C is larger. Either way, if someone is going to do this it is probably a good idea to measure each wheel before ordering just to be sure. It doesn't take long to be sure you have it right.

I had the same thing over the top of my original leather. I actually cut it off whilst driving down the road only a few minutes after taking delivery of the cruiser. I couldn't stand the extra thick wheel. Its not that I don't like strength training, I love a pinch grip medley as much as the next guy, but I just don't like holding onto an extra thick wheel while I'm driving. Now if you could take the original leather off, then do this, that might be pretty sweet.

Nice, timely post. :clap: I was just thinking this morning that my s/w was looking pretty crappy, this would help.

Tan would be my choice, happens to be over $5 more than black, wonder why? :hmm:

My '80 is a poverty pack edition, I'll confirm wheel size then see if Amazon can make good on their 1-day delivery!

Dan

I have been using the $11 slip on cover at Wallyworld. 5 minute install. It has lasted 3 years in the Az desert sun. So far. If/When if falls apart, I will do it again, in 5 minutes. They do come in a multitude if colors: black , white , light gray, tan, brown, maybe more. No, I do not work @ WallyWorld. John

I have been using the $11 slip on cover at Wallyworld. 5 minute install. It has lasted 3 years in the Az desert sun. So far. If/When if falls apart, I will do it again, in 5 minutes. They do come in a multitude if colors: black , white , light gray, tan, brown, maybe more. No, I do not work @ WallyWorld. John
Same here. I have the same one on all my vehicles so the wheel feels the same whatever I'm driving. So far they are all still in good condition.

I did this about a year and a half ago. I used size C...which was difficult to source. However, the results are very similar. I have a bit more gathering at the seam in a few places. Overall, it's a great improvement over the worn out stock cover and I am happy with it.

Have a pair of needle nose pliers for finger relief. After 45 minutes of pulling the needle through you'll be thankful to have a tool. If I did it again I would pull the needle through each hole prior to the install. Reaming out the holes :) would make the final product really tight!

All the pulling of the twine to make the loops tight ended up giving me a blister on my left index finger.
Too bad the blister wasn't on your little finger or your thumb, or you could get your chicks for free. (...not to mention money for nothing.)

image.jpg I just did mine with a wheelskins. I think both are great options. Mine had the leather tearing off the top and was getting sticky. It's actually pretty easy to do. Just pull it tight and pre streatch the thread. I chose the brown. The color matches the brown trim. The oak seemed too light and I imagine it would show dirt and grease faster.

Also, do yourself a favor and wear gloves. I wore rubber fishing gloves and cut the finger tips off.

I need to do my wheel but don't care for how the DIY versions look on the 'spokes' of the steering wheel. Think I'll go the white-trash-China-lovin'-killthelittleman-Walmart version.

Well I got this one off ebay about a year ago...now I can't find the seller. It shipped from England and was about $35.

It's real leather and not padded. The gray color is only a shade darker in real life, pics make it look charcoal. I really like the way it laces on compared to a Wheelskins.

I know they had black and brown as well. Don't remember a tan.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433537300.142355.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433537318.641499.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom