‘99 Highway RPM range (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Before I start I have searched and probably read all that came up. I’m still a bit curious to why I have a high rpm range with my ‘99 4 speed auto.

It may be normal, or maybe not, but doing 70 with stock 265/70/16 I’m averaging 3100 rpms. Seems high for a v8. I feel every shift point up to 3rd but having a hard time sensing 4th. Maybe it’s buttery smooth I don’t know. At 70 I’ll hit the O/D button and I’ll get a slight increase in rpms. Maybe 500-800 rpms.

Are the shift points with this auto 1-2-3-4-o/d or 1-2-3-o/d? I feel like I’m getting a functional O/D so maybe 3100 rpm’s is the norm for 70.

I’m going to order the cable to start techstream and see if something is popping up. But I have no indication of anything wrong on the dash. The “D” in the shift column doesn’t light up but I’m guessing the bulb is shot.

That actually sounds like 4th is not working and the increase in rpm is the touqre converter unlocking.

Fluid level is full?
Fluid is nice and bright red? Doesn't smell like burnt toast?

That actually sounds like 4th is not working and the increase in rpm is the touqre converter unlocking.

Fluid level is full?
Fluid is nice and bright red? Doesn't smell like burnt toast?

I’ll check it out tomorrow am. I check the service history (just bought it a couple of weeks ago) and don’t see a service in a while. Maybe it’s time for a change/flush.

Power button depressed?

I engaged the PWR button as well. The shift points were definitely different but still high rpm.

Interesting. What rpm should you expect it to be at?

In my '02 LX,65 mph yields around 2200 rpm's. Can't imagine 70mph would be much more than 2300-2400 rpm's.

It's not uncommon to remove the "D" light as it's bright enough to drive many, including me, crazy on a long evening drive...best fix is to remove the light.

We all should be right around 2200-2500 at 65-70.
Even with the 5 speed because 1st gear is lower so it shifts into 2nd gear sooner.
But at speed, 4 or 5 speed transmission will make little to know difference in rpm.
I want to say I run around 2300rpm at 67ish which is where I set my cruise on the highway.

I run at 2600 RPM at 70 MPH (dashboard speed, I have bigger tires, so it's actually 76 MPH).
3100 RPM sounds like it's running in 3rd.

Do you run an app like Torque and an OBDII Bluetooth adapter? If not, get it. Cheap info. Set it up to watch the trans and water temp when you drive. I believe the trans ECU will not engage OD and/or 4th automatically if the trans temp (or engine coolant temp? Can't remember) is showing the fluid is not warmed up enough? The trans could be working fine, but you could have a bad sensor or electrical connection issue. That is where I'd start looking. I don't think there are any clutches or solenoids on an A343 that operate only on 4th gear, so I'd think that a mechanical failure of a lubricated part was not indicated.

Last edited:
You should be able to hear the engine screaming louder than normal if you're in 3rd at 70mph, 3100 RPM is definitely 3rd gear at 70mph.

Thanks everybody for the response. So I had some time to drain out the fluid. It was definitely dark red and it smelled like tranny fluid. I wouldn’t say it smelled burnt.
upload_2018-9-28_16-10-35.jpeg

I drove it back on the highway and I’m still in the same rpm. Shifts a little smoother. In one of the similar threads somebody mentioned having a failed fan clutch. He/she swapped it out and got into 4th gear. I checked my fan and it spins. Not sure that’s how you know if it’s working or not. Or maybe as @gatormark91 mentioned I have a failed sensor or electrical connection

I was curious as to what rpm, so I snapped this pic earlier.

IMG_20180928_121445.jpg

The light works. I get a slight blip in rpms when I hit it.
You should get more than a slight blip in the RPM.

Cruise set at 70 with my 99, converter locked based on the settling of the RPM in 4th.
IMG_20180928_172652.jpg

Exact same situation as above, but I pressed the OD OFF. Converter is locked based on the RPM settling in 3rd.
IMG_20180928_172700.jpg

Edit: I should add that I am running 33's, but my speedometer is not corrected at this time so the final indicated speed/rpm is still the same as stock.

Last edited:
On my drive this morning with stock wheels and tires on my 99, at 70 mph rev was just over 2400, at 75 was just over 2600.

You should get more than a slight blip in the RPM.
Cruise set at 70 with my 99, converter locked based on the settling of the RPM in 4th.
Exact same situation as above, but I pressed the OD OFF. Converter is locked based on the RPM settling in 3rd.
View attachment 1799580

That’s exactly where I’m at. So I’m definitely stuck in 3rd. When you guys release the gas pedal does rpm’s drop to about a 1000? When you are coasting.

Trying to find my Bluetooth obd reader to see if I can pull anything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom