'97 LX450 Steering Wheel Connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but failed to find the answer to this: What is this connector for behind the plastic panel on left side of U.S. spec steering wheel?

image.jpg

My guess: steering wheel mounted cell phone controls.

One of my LX's has em, one of them doesn't.

Thanks! Do you mean one of your LX's has this connector - and the actual cell phone control? Would you happen to have a photo of said controller?

That’s interesting. My LX450 didn’t have the phone unfortunately and I’m assuming that’s not a Toyota switch but a port installed option?

Some more info regarding that set of switches.... I bought a steering wheel out of an LS400 that had the switches on it. I hoped they might do something as I was running a Scion head unit in the dash with all factory wiring. But no luck, no steering wheel control.

Jump forward a number of years later and I replaced the stereo with a unit setup for steering wheel controls. One of the inputs for the stereo is for resistive switch controls. To work, you need to attach it to a set of switches that connect a resistor to ground. Each switch has a different resistance value, the stereo can learn the resistance value and assign it to a function.

I got it to work but it wasn't simple. First, inside the switch unit is a bunch of electronics including a microprocessor. Not what I was hoping to find but not too difficult to gut and replace with a simple resistor array. Next, the switches plug into a socket on the wheel which connects to the clock-spring. The other socket for the clock-spring is below the steering shaft just behind the steering wheel. Its a 6 pin connector. 4 of the pins are for the cruise control, (another resistive switch control arrangement). Unfortunately the other 2 pins for the phone switches aren't connected to anything. I tried jamming the 2 wires for the stereo control into the socket without the proper mating connectors - and..... it works. I hunted around the truck looking for another unused connector that might have the same terminals so I could grab those. I'll pulled a couple from the socket under the console. They are close but don't fit. Haven't found the right ones yet, trying to grab that connector from a part out vehicle to finish the wiring.

The one other odd thing is that 3 of the 4 buttons work, actually 2 buttons do the same thing as in the stereo is reading the same resistance vale from two buttons. I need to dig into that but its pretty tough to screw up a string of 4 resistors in series. I used 6.8k resistors, maybe the value is too low for the stereo?

Last edited:
Some more info regarding that set of switches.... I bought a steering wheel out of an LS400 that had the switches on it. I hoped they might do something as I was running a Scion head unit in the dash with all factory wiring. But no luck, no steering wheel control.

Jump forward a number of years later and I replaced the stereo with a unit setup for steering wheel controls. One of the inputs for the stereo is for resistive switch controls. To work, you need to attach it to a set of switches that connect a resistor to ground. Each switch has a different resistance value, the stereo can learn the resistance value and assign it to a function.

I got it to work but it wasn't simple. First, inside the switch unit is a bunch of electronics including a microprocessor. Not what I was hoping to find but not too difficult to gut and replace with a simple resistor array. Next, the switches plug into a socket on the wheel which connects to the clock-spring. The other socket for the clock-spring is below the steering shaft just behind the steering wheel. Its a 6 pin connector. 4 of the pins are for the cruise control, (another resistive switch control arrangement). Unfortunately the other 2 pins for the phone switches aren't connected to anything. I tried jamming the 2 wires for the stereo control into the socket without the proper mating connectors - and..... it works. I hunted around the truck looking for another unused connector that might have the same terminals so I could grab those. I'll pulled a couple from the socket under the console. They are close but don't fit. Haven't found the right ones yet, trying to grab that connector from a part out vehicle to finish the wiring.

The one other odd thing is that 3 of the 4 buttons work, actually 2 buttons do the same thing as in the stereo is reading the same resistance vale from two buttons. I need to dig into that but its pretty tough to screw up a string of 4 resistors in series. I used 6.8k resistors, maybe the value is too low for the stereo?
Hi 60wag,

Just curious how the volume up/down buttons are working? The ones where you modified telephone controls. I'm planning to do something similar and wanted to know more about the connector behind the steering wheel. Do I have to remove the steering wheel to access the backside connector? Do you have any pictures of what you did?

Thanks,
DannyG

Man, this is been one of those projects that’s been rattling around in my brain since the day I picked up my 80. But it’s just above my competency level which keeps me from trying anything.

I am very interested to see further discussion on how the factory steering wheel phone controls found on the Lx450 might be integrated into controlling an aftermarket head unit. My pioneer is great but it’s a touchscreen and it drives me crazy not having a tactile button to push to mute or turn it down quickly. It always requires that I take my eyes off the road or whatever else I’m doing.

I installed a pioneer avh-1300nex, a generic CarPlay touch screen head unit. It has a option for an external mute button. I hooked up a oem fog light switch for a mute which has proven really handy.
I too desperately want some steering wheel controls but have been to lazy to dig into that project.
I believe Sony still sells or did sell a touch screen CarPlay/android auto head unit with a rotary knob. I hate touch screens in cars.

My modified wheel controls still work. The 6 pin connector with the two missing pins is below the sheering shaft, no you don't have to remove the wheel. Just take the plastic covers off that are behind the wheel. I programmed the big button to be fast forward to the next song. That's the one that gets used the most. I had some pictures but they may have been lost when my server burned.

The stereo is an Atoto. Its a Chinese brand running on an Android platform. It has lots of options and features. While far from a perfect device, its pretty cool in that you can load whatever apps you want to run. It also has a remote control available. It has a rotary volume wheel that works quite well. I have one magnet mounted on the console in front of the lid. It makes it very easy to adjust volume with you right arm resting on the console.

Man, this is been one of those projects that’s been rattling around in my brain since the day I picked up my 80. But it’s just above my competency level which keeps me from trying anything.

I am very interested to see further discussion on how the factory steering wheel phone controls found on the Lx450 might be integrated into controlling an aftermarket head unit. My pioneer is great but it’s a touchscreen and it drives me crazy not having a tactile button to push to mute or turn it down quickly. It always requires that I take my eyes off the road or whatever else I’m doing.
Installed a gs430 steering wheel w factory controls in the sc400 coupe before I installed the pioneer head unit w built-in nav, front/rear camera inputs & cd/dvd dual zone entertainment - this head-unit is better suited for the lx450 so it will eventually get transferred. The pioneer accepts resistance control input. The plan was to do it in the sc400 first & then the LX later when migrated. Still need to locate just a controller as I like the factory lx steering wheel & it's still in good shape. The later steering wheel controller will mount where the LX phone control would normally go.
Can't locate all my pics but here are a couple plus some from internet. Pics I can't find had close-up detail - darn.
Wish I could provide sources for credit but don't have them - may have been a lexus forum.

61396F61-795E-48FE-B9DD-CBED8AB43A62.jpeg

FA45B161-754A-47BF-B1F2-232BB90F0A39.jpeg

1F037CCF-C6B0-4C59-B78A-60C0D6434507.jpeg

39FF76A1-7B09-4176-9DBB-D9883AB6B627.jpeg

Last edited:

this pic shows resistance values

6E48AABB-F25C-43CD-91E1-0B3D4C6E9A76.jpeg

This may be an option for steering wheel controls for those with a compatible head unit. Universal stalk..

Finally got steering wheel controls working in the LX. While technically not SWC, the controls are at my finger tips and easily accessed. Here are a few pictures and links to the products I used.

Head unit: Alpine iLX-W650

Steering Wheel Control Adapter: Axxess ASWC-1 *EDIT* You only need this adapter if your head unit does not have SWC settings built in, as some Pioneer and other Andriod based units have.

Steering wheel stalk controls: Steering wheel stalk
Axxess Programming Instructions: Programming Instructions

Here is a mockup of the wiring I did in order to test.

IMG_0572.jpg

Axxess black is ground.
Axxess red is +12 volts.
Axxess 3.5mm plug goes to "remote" port on back of head unit.
Access white/green connects to the stalk control red.

Stalk red, as already mentioned, connects to Axxess white/green.
Stalk black is ground.

Here are a few more pictures:

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom