Builds 97 HZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Such a great looking cruiser. One of my favorite parts of owning the BJ74 is to be able to take the top off. This is the 3rd summer I’ve had the top off.

As OGBeno said, it’s pretty easy to take off. You just have to be careful with the FRP badge on the side you have to pry off.

It’s not too hard to put on on, just make sure you line everything up right then tighten. I have the factory owners manual that shows you all the steps to remove the FRP top if you want I can post those.

The only caveat is that it appears you don’t have factory rear 1/2 doors. So your options are find some OEM rear 1/2 doors, chop some
Regular doors or just take the rear doors off and not use them, use a truck net or build a tailgate.

I don’t think leaving the full rear doors is an option. Looks weird.

Such a great looking cruiser. One of my favorite parts of owning the BJ74 is to be able to take the top off. This is the 3rd summer I’ve had the top off.

As OGBeno said, it’s pretty easy to take off. You just have to be careful with the FRP badge on the side you have to pry off.

It’s not too hard to put on on, just make sure you line everything up right then tighten. I have the factory owners manual that shows you all the steps to remove the FRP top if you want I can post those.

The only caveat is that it appears you don’t have factory rear 1/2 doors. So your options are find some OEM rear 1/2 doors, chop some
Regular doors or just take the rear doors off and not use them, use a truck net or build a tailgate.

I don’t think leaving the full rear doors is an option. Looks weird.
Good info. Thank you! Would love to see the manual if it's not too much trouble.

Want to trade for a HZJ77? Oh wait, you have one......
Tempted... yours runs well. Miss the cargo space the 77 has already. I carry so much crap with me all the time. Will need some sort of drawer system in the 73. Guess remove the rear seat for it? Doesn't look enjoyable to ride back there anyway.

Secured an old tote for the recent little road trip. Love the factory headache bar.

IMG_8205.JPG

IMG_8204.JPG

IMG_8203.JPG

Thank you. Good news I think. At least like to take it off to rust check that scary area under the windshield.
I’ve got to do the same with mine. I’m putting it off as long as possible, though. If you are getting the new seals for the FRP Top windows, I’d like to see “the build”!

Tempted... yours runs well. Miss the cargo space the 77 has already. I carry so much crap with me all the time. Will need some sort of drawer system in the 73. Guess remove the rear seat for it? Doesn't look enjoyable to ride back there anyway.

Secured an old tote for the recent little road trip. Love the factory headache bar.

I was kidding...sort of. This HZJ77 I own will be my last 70 series most likely. It is my third one and now I am super tired of the headaches that come with owning one.

Mostly the parts lead times, parts availability and the 24V woes.

I’ve got to do the same with mine. I’m putting it off as long as possible, though. If you are getting the new seals for the FRP Top windows, I’d like to see “the build”!
Calling this a "build" is really pushing it though. Do like the idea of documenting stuff more better. My memory is sh1t. Think I may start a thread on my 77 and document the 1HZ rebuild now that we are getting close.

yup. gotta fold that front windsheild down at least once and get the wind in your hair!
Kinda wish mine did that, nice to have that extra room in the back too

Did the OEM spare tire bracket thing last weekend. If the rig was meant to run the spare off the door does it have extra internal support? Seems to have vertical ribbing that I don't remember the 77 having.

View attachment 3313005
View attachment 3313006

View attachment 3313007
Did the OEM spare tire bracket thing last weekend. If the rig was meant to run the spare off the door does it have extra internal support? Seems to have vertical ribbing that I don't remember the 77 having.

View attachment 3313005
View attachment 3313006

View attachment 3313007
View attachment 3313009
Where did you pick up the bracket? A domestic (US or Canada) supplier or overseas?

52302-60010 and 52303-60010 Step Sub-Assy swap. Not stoked with how low it hangs. About 6" lower than the 77. The trailer is SOA and on 33's.

Before -
IMG_8224.JPG

After -

IMG_8306.JPG

Minor updates. Working on being able to tow my little trailer mostly. @Sundowner 's thread inspired me for sure. Thank you. Ended up building a box to house it for now. Plan to build/buy drawers and may move it all under a wing on that side like the 77's set-up.

IMG_8490.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

73 sits lower than the 77 and need to be able to tow with either. So ended up flipping a drop receiver I had and buying a second Max Coupler to make up the difference. Should get the trailer level on both rigs now.

IMG_8396.JPG

What else.... Oh. Pulled the rear seat and belts. Sorry ladies. Swapped the worn Rancho shocks with the OME take-offs from the 77. Little better. The extended shackles on it suck. Suspension upgrade in it's future. Replaced the glow plugs/caps. Snuggled and loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom