Build 97 HZJ73

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Guyute
I was very unsuccessful at removing the brackets from the frame, without snapping off the bolts.

Mine look like various versions of this.

Before, with the bracket attached to the frame with the two bolts:
View attachment 4036703

After with the bracket off. Bolts sheared off due to the harsh winters with lots of salty roads
View attachment 4036702

Did you have an easy or hard time, getting the bolts out? I’ve had zero luck. Any advice?

These are the only bolts I had issues with >

IMG_3469.webp



LHS -
IMG_3474.webp

RHS
IMG_3470.webp



@LDRF - I pulled a set of steps off my HZJ77 way back. Used some of those bits/bob for this project...so have a mixed box of 73/77 brackets I'll likely never use. They look to be in a little better shape than yours. DM me if you're in need and we can work something out. Each bracket has a little different angle to the dangle but believe the front three are the same 77 to 73.

IMG_3472.webp
 
Your underneath is significantly cleaner than mine. My bits and bobs are rusty but usable. Most, if not all of the rivets that held the aluminum step to the brackets have corroded away. Every bolt but a few that attach the step to the side brackets broke off.
IMG_7689.webp

To get at the inner/outer rockers, I’ve had to take of the side brackets. The bolts broke as seen in my prev post. I figure I’ll just drill out the bolts and re-tap them, and just rivet the steps, through the top to the brackets. It will be a fun day when I do that. Your offer is an excellent one … so thanks, but I’m going to use what I have, as it’s still repairable without too much work. My biggest challenge is removing the broken bolts from the inside frame rails so I can bolt the assembly back on.
 
Finished the door and quarter panel sound deadening project over the weekend. It was a slow process and LHS (passenger) door was the last to do. Not sure if I'll do the floors or not. It still has all the factory stuffs in good condition. Seals are all new now so it's pretty damn quiet compared to my 77. The doors don't sound tinny when you close them now. That always bugged me so that was mostly my goal. My hands and arms look like I reached into a barrel of feral cats. Sharp AF edges inside the doors!

Don't think it's ever been un-vapor barrier.
IMG_3489.webp



IMG_3490.webp


Thud. Makes a huge difference.
IMG_3492.webp


Replaced all the window runs
IMG_3491.webp


Out with the oldish in with the new

IMG_3493.webp


Guess I do still have the FRP sliding windows seals to do. Have all new stuff already but the originals are in pretty decent shape and I'm super afraid of taking them out AND getting them back in.
 
Pulled the top and installed the back half doors in mid-May. Reminded me that I have some work to do on that silly project.

These are Prado doors. Had pulled one window frame then just cut the the other last year.
IMG_2331.webp


Easier this way >

IMG_2332.webp


The hole left behind

IMG_2347.webp


Ran them all last summer like this. Open for all the world to see the gooey insides.

IMG_2461.webp


Got a wild hair to just JB Weld TF out of them. Thought I'd fill the gaps with JB, grind, then do some bondo over it, then maybe high-fill primer, and DIY paint them with aerosol Dupli-Color 045 and clear. Cheap and easy. They only see sunny days and have them on for just 4 months if we are lucky here.

IMG_4446.webp


Good enough for who it's for or whatever.

TBC
 
Question and opinions wanted on the emblems.

I bought the aftermarket ZX badge. 3D printed and it's okay. These are NLA, correct?

Is there an all adhesive Toyota Sombrero badge in the correct size available? No holes for pins on these Prado doors.

Diesel badge was on the Prado doors when I bought them. Stock? It's angled and was in this location.

Anyone know somewhere to grab the load kg sticker in the states? Don't have a need to order from Japan/UAE right now.

All that said... thought on this badging approach?

Here is what I have on-hand placed.

IMG_0222.webp


Here is the full size door


IMG_0224.webp



The Toyoya badge I have is tiny. Not sure where it came from and the door doesn't have holes for clips.

IMG_0223.webp
 
So much to respond to here. That license plate holder/adapter is 🔥. I think that diesel badge in that location is correct, but uncertain. Further research required. I feel like one of @janyyc trucks has it there... maybe. Can offer no help on the ZX badge. Or the flaccid sombrero, except if it was me, I'd ditch the sombrero. Sorry, no help at all; the half doors look great though! 🍻
 
I believe the diesel badge goes where your load sticker is on the full door.

My BJ74, but just looked at pics of friends' 73s and that's how they were too, with the load sticker to the right of the badge.

49711126612_b5dedee505_b.jpg


Love the half doors!
 
Ahh. Thank you both! Google image search was showing a metric sh1t ton of emblem configurations. I do like the Diesel badge on the lower left of the tiny door.

Got itchy and placed an order from that sketchy VintageTEQ guy for the 400kg sticker. See if it shows. Figure I have 8 months of rain before the 1/2 doors come out again so there is time to FAFO.

Hoped a Camry/Corolla/4Runner Sombrero emblem was the same size. They look way larger though. Like twice the size so I also placed a Tosshin order on the correct part number (75441-16290). I'll try trimming the mounting posts off and go with just adhesive.

Looks like the schematic also shows the Diesel badge/ load sticker in those locations. Duh. Should have looked there sooner.

ps.webp


Silencers showed up yesterday at my local dealership. That is not 7X part number... trimmed it a bit. So that's done now.

IMG_0227.webp


May paint the AL panels grey. Funny how I went from feeling like the hacked down Prado doors in a different color with gaping holes and non working parts was fine for summer mode to whatever I am now about the doors. But... they do pull the entire room togther.

IMG_0228.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom