'96 TO '93 Grill Swap Results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow, that last pic is a really good idea! I would be concerned though about airflow, especially since I am running a SC. Eventually I want to move to a larger light bar up on the roof rack.
That light bar is the same size as the Toyota grill center bar and provides plenty of airflow. You can always vent your hood either cowl or ram air too to help with cooling and/or intercool the SC... Only trick is fab of the brackets to mount it on. I love having light off the front end instead of overhead unless needed higher. It provides better night vision and less glare.

You did the right thing, looks slick!

Zona

Since the photos are missing in the first post I will share mine from today's grill swap.

Before
P1010284.JPG

AFTER
P1010285.JPG

Here is the tab situation, just move the block for the screw from the inside tab to the outside tab.
P1010288.JPG

P1010289.JPG

You can either cut the inner tabs off, but you will never be able to switch back to the newer grill, or you can notch the back of the older grill.
P1010292.JPG

Last step is to drill a new hole for the bottom, middle screw.
P1010293.JPG

My valance is a bit beat-up from the bumper being pushed into it from an accident so I plan to replace it with an older valance in the future that will eliminate the gap left at the bottom.
P1010300.JPG

Awesome, thanks for the pics I picked up a 94 grill in good shape at pull aprt for next to nothing so its going to be my Labor Day weekend project. Cheers!

Since the photos are missing in the first post I will share mine from today's grill swap.

Before
P1010284.JPG

AFTER
P1010285.JPG

Here is the tab situation, just move the block for the screw from the inside tab to the outside tab.
P1010288.JPG

P1010289.JPG

You can either cut the inner tabs off, but you will never be able to switch back to the newer grill, or you can notch the back of the older grill.
P1010292.JPG

P1010293.JPG

My valance is a bit beat-up from the bumper being pushed into it from an accident so I plan to replace it with an older valance in the future that will eliminate the gap left at the bottom.
P1010300.JPG

Thank you very much for posting this. I really like the older grill best, too. Whenever I finally find a '96/'97, I'm likely going to follow your instructions. Very cool! Thanks again.

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Just completed my grill swap onto a 1997 LX 450. Thanks to @quasi for the older model grill he hooked me up with.

Fitment is just as described. Had to Re-drill the lower Centre hole and replaced the plastic insert in there. Also followed the guidelines and ground off a bit of the older model grill to allow me to keep the oem tabs if I ever want to reuse the lexus grill.

Only issue I noticed (which is why some folks talk about headlight swap) is there is a 2 inch gap at the top corners of the grill on the headlights. It appears the Lexus has different headlights that are slanted at one end creating a gap between the toyota grill and the lexus grill. Barely noticeable to me and I prefer the toyota grill.... thanks again for the step by step guide....

20170408_220145.jpg

20170408_215015.jpg

20170408_220336.jpg

I’ve got the sombrero grill and would like to do the swap as well... but I don’t like the gap. Anyone seen how this grill mod is done with the fj cruiser front grill “TOYOTA” emblem? Just curious?

92930547-B4B7-4867-9C40-6CD8809DE474.png

800EC791-1346-4D28-BC25-CBF038584B07.jpeg

More details on your build?
I was scoping out his media files under his profile. Has a lot of good info but I couldn’t find a build thread. I don’t think that he’s active on mud anymore .

I may not be reading thoroughly enough.. are there variances between the FJ vs FZJ TOYOTA grilles, or is it simply between old vs sombrero?

There’s a 94 for sale in town from a cruiser family, and they have a bunch of extra parts available. Was considering grabbing the grille & lights for my LX. I’m aware of the LX differences.

If I got the grille, lights, and valance, I assume no gaps? Slight mod still required?

I may not be reading thoroughly enough.. are there variances between the FJ vs FZJ TOYOTA grilles, or is it simply between old vs sombrero?

There’s a 94 for sale in town from a cruiser family, and they have a bunch of extra parts available. Was considering grabbing the grille & lights for my LX. I’m aware of the LX differences.

If I got the grille, lights, and valance, I assume no gaps? Slight mod still required?
Im running into issues with mine right now. Check this thread: '96 with swap to older Toyota grill (vs. sombrero) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/posts/14073094/

Before
P1010284.JPG

AFTER
P1010285.JPG

P1010288.JPG

P1010289.JPG

P1010292.JPG

P1010293.JPG

P1010300.JPG
Wish I saw this before last night! Searched high and low on my phone but nothing. How has it been working since?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom