96 fzj80 cruise control part time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RocketCityCrzrs

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rocketcitycruisers.com
I have done some digging around the forum looking for some info on this and am not having much luck.
Has anyone had success getting the factory cruise control to work after doing a part time conversion? I've pulled the speed sensors on the wheels and capped the holes, which has pissed the cruise control off. I'm sure the system is looking for a consistent reading from the sensors which could probably be artificially sent, but I'm being lazy and want to copy someone else's homework

Interesting. I wonder what's disabling it. I haven't tried mine since I removed the sensors and ABS (part time also).
The signal comes from the cluster. See below pic. The cluster signal comes from the transfer case.
EDIT..I'm assuming its a 96-97. The diagram is 96

cruise.JPG

I'm assuming somewhere down the line it goes through the ABS computer. Because if you have the cruise control on, and the ABS engages, it kicks off the cruise. Right now the truck thinks that it needs to engage the ABS because two of the wheel speed sensors aren't reporting back

1690580572106.png

I used a kit like this and kept my ABS wheel speed sensors when I did my part time conversion. Cruise still works but once in awhile it kicks into the Error Green "Cruise" Light Flash mode.

What all did the kit delete?

The part-time kit is very typical. Replace center diff with spool, remove VC, manual locking hubs, removed all abs tone rings etc.

As for the ABS, I deleted the entire pump, and the LSPV and added in a willwood prop valve and I think an fj80 MC but can’t recall that for sure….. it’s been a while.

Found this in the 96 fsm, states if a wheel speed sensor fails it will cancel cruise which is where I am. Unless I'm reading that wrong.

View attachment 3386036
Might want to read that again.
It doesn't say "wheel speed sensor", it says "No. 1 vehicle speed sensor".
The #1 VSS is located on the transfer case. It feeds the speedometer which, in turn, generates the speed (SPD) signal used by the cruise control.

HTH

I deleted the ABS and cruise still works but sometimes it's flakey. It was flakey before the ABS delete. I can activate the cruise but it may not engage and hold speed. When that happens I've found I need to pop the hood and manually operate the cruise cable to the throttle body. That frees up something and cruise will work again, for a while at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom