93 Transmission Rebuild or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Friends:

I have a '93 FJ80 with >150K miles on it. She recently started spewing trans fluid from the bell housing when the engine is running. To me it seems as if a seal has gone bad that's letting the trans fuild get sucked into the bellhouse, but I'm not an expert on these things.

However, I've been getting quotes from my local transmission shops on options. All of them are telling me I likely need a full trans rebuild to the tune of $3K plus. While I haven't had anyone drop the transmission yet to verify the real problem, does fully rebuilding the trans sound like the appropriate course of action? If so, does $3K sound realistic for a trans rebuild?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Friends:

I have a '93 FJ80 with >150K miles on it. She recently started spewing trans fluid from the bell housing when the engine is running. To me it seems as if a seal has gone bad that's letting the trans fuild get sucked into the bellhouse, but I'm not an expert on these things.

However, I've been getting quotes from my local transmission shops on options. All of them are telling me I likely need a full trans rebuild to the tune of $3K plus. While I haven't had anyone drop the transmission yet to verify the real problem, does fully rebuilding the trans sound like the appropriate course of action? If so, does $3K sound realistic for a trans rebuild?

Thanks in advance!

Not common. Check hoses around outside of bell housing and above transmission.

Otherwise, it could be the seal to the torque converter. If the truck has sat for years, seals may have dried out.

Also check to make sure it's not a power steering hose with a hole in it spraying oil back that direction. Are you actually losing oil from the transmission? These transmissions are very robust.

Check and if necessary replace all of the trans cooler hoses. What you describe does not sound normal unless a trans cooler hose failed. What does it look like inside the bell housing inspection hole (rubber plug that's easy to pop out)?

Not common. Check hoses around outside of bell housing and above transmission.

idk man, the 440 is a known turd. he said FJ80 so maybe he got the year wrong? fj80 with a bad trans isnt unheard of. i have one i am parting out with only 117K on it because the trans went out and it cost more to build it then to replace the truck.

Hey Guys:

Sorry for the confusion. It's a '93 FZJ80 so I'm pretty sure I'm working with the a442F. Not the a440.

ok, well the 442 is super tough. i have a few i would sell you really cheap if you need one. my guess would be front pump seal is bad from sitting too long. could replace just that but its always a gamble. i have some that are known to be good.

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on what else I should consider changing out/replacing while I have the tranny out?

I'd say replace the engine rear main seal while you're in there.

You could have a look at the rear heater lines while you have easy access.

Just my $.02.

A tranny rebuild is highly unlikely, my 93 has 285k and the trans is solid. The transmissions in the FZJ80 often outlast the engine. As mentioned earlier, it’s probably the TC to input shaft seal. I can supply the part number if necessary.

Once the trans is out, you may consider replacing the engine rear main seal, inspect the trans pump seal, inspect and wrap harness wires that are routed over top of the transmission, clean all electrical connectors including on the transfer case, delete the rear heater or, if you want to retain the rear heater, replace the 4 short sections of rubber hose that are part of the plumbing to and from the rear heater......

Alrighty Friends:

So I finally bit the bullet and took her into a trans shop. After dropping the trans, they're telling me the input shaft on the torque converter has sheared off in the engine pilot. (Or whatever the input shaft sticks into). As a result, I need a replacement Torque converter and they'll have to drill the piece of the input shaft stuck in the engine out. They're also saying that the weight of the trans was being supported by the Trans oil pump as a result of the break, and the trans pump needs replacing too. On the plus side, they say the rest of the trans look fine.

A couple of questions....

1. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? I can't even fathom how a shaft on the torque converter could shear off if not in a major accident. But, I'm somewhat of a newb and could totally be wrong.
  2. Also, sounds like torque converters and trans pumps for a '93 FZJ-80 might be hard to come by. Anyone have any thoughts on where I might source some used parts if my shop can't find them?
  3. The shop is also telling me there are 2 types of 11-tooth trans pumps that were used in the FZJ80's and we have to get the right one. Does this sound right?
Thanks in advance!

This was put together recently but is far from complete, I'm sure.

Any consolidated list of used cruiser parts dealers?

You may also want to search the classifieds for someone parting out a similar rig.

Good luck, I've not heard of that ever happening before.

i have one (complete trans with TC) sitting on a shelf in my shop. i can have it in the mail headed your way monday.

Never heard of this happening. I would just get a good used tranny and rebuild the TC, use your existing tranny as spare parts.

On the plus side, you will get a tranny flush with this :) while you are in there, replace the lines up from to the cooler, the rubber pieces went bad due to age.

We had a truck come into the shop with a similar problem, but the problem was that the transmission input seal wore a groove into the TC, which caused it to leak. We did have a hell of a time trying to find the right torque converter. Usually we would go OEM on this part, but needed to be cost concious. All of the transmission shops around us used the same aftermarket parts catalog, and in there was the wrong part for the A440F that we needed. My suggestion is to have the supplier measure the distance of the bolt holes to make sure it matches up with the flywheel. May as well replace the rear main seal while the transmission is out.

i have one (complete trans with TC) sitting on a shelf in my shop. i can have it in the mail headed your way monday.

Thanks for the offer, slow95z-

Let me wait and see how much the trans shop is gonna try and pistol whip me on the parts through their suppliers (if they can find them). Ill let you know if it's looking crazy.

Regards,
J

When I say cheap I mean like 200 bucks plus shipping so dont let them take you for too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom