93’ Cruiser coming back after 10 years of sleep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all I’m new to the forum and need some help from you well educated folks for my fj80.

Purchased by my dad in 1993 the rig was driven for a few years on and off but for nearly the last decade it has not been driven. Fired up a couple times several years ago but not driven. I need some advice on how to start this thing up and what all I need to do before I start it up.

1993 only 113k miles

Pull the drain plug on the tank and then fill with fresh fuel. I would also change the engine oil right away. After that turn the key and see what happens and fix things from there.

I would love the idea of such a project. The challenge and joy of seeing it run again would be fabulous.
Anyway, just off the top of my head, I would pull all the plugs, borescope the cylinders (you buy one for your phone for about $20). Assuming it all looks good, I would hand crank the engine to make sure it rotates. Check the remaining cylinders with the borescope. Now pull the oil and make sure it is not full of the coolant. Make sure the coolant is topped off. New oil and filter. Check the condition of the plug wires. If all looks ok then move to gas. Drain the tank. Put some new gas in. Make sure your battery is good. Make sure your check engine light is on with the ignition on. If all is good then spin it up and see what happens.

Good luck

I hope it’s a quick fire up after a complete fluids flush. I’ve been over thinking and was going to start ordering new hoses, all new pumps, etc. lol. Thank y’all! I’m excited to get this thing back on the streets soon!!!

If it doesn't fire right off report back or send me a message. I have about 5 of every part you would need and sell them cheap. I love seeing people fix them up and give them a second chance on life.

I would remove the plugs and put a bit of oil in each cylinder to lube the rings. Check the fluids, if usable, wouldn't change, yet. Pull the EFI fuse and crank the motor over, don't burn up the starter, crank ~30sec, rest, repeat, until oil pressure is indicated on the gauge. Now put the fuse back in and start it, idle for the first few min, if it runs well, allow it to warmup.

When motors sit, condensation builds causing rust, etc. Rings can stick, be broken, oiling the cylinders helps. When run, the debris from sitting will be scraped/rinsed off into the oil. Unless the oil is heavily contaminated (if so likely has other problems) changing it before starting does little good. Much better to run it, warm it up, possibly drive it a bit (gently), use the old oil to cleanup the debris, then change it.

If it doesn't fire right off report back or send me a message. I have about 5 of every part you would need and sell them cheap. I love seeing people fix them up and give them a second chance on life.

What a boss! I’ll keep up with you through my journey forsure! I’ll probably need something along the way. I just ordered some new crawlers and I’m looking for a cheap set of 33x12.5 15 or 35x12.5

I would remove the plugs and put a bit of oil in each cylinder to lube the rings. Check the fluids, if usable, wouldn't change, yet. Pull the EFI fuse and crank the motor over, don't burn up the starter, crank ~30sec, rest, repeat, until oil pressure is indicated on the gauge. Now put the fuse back in and start it, idle for the first few min, if it runs well, allow it to warmup.

When motors sit, condensation builds causing rust, etc. Rings can stick, be broken, oiling the cylinders helps. When run, the debris from sitting will be scraped/rinsed off into the oil. Unless the oil is heavily contaminated (if so likely has other problems) changing it before starting does little good. Much better to run it, warm it up, possibly drive it a bit (gently), use the old oil to cleanup the debris, then change it.

This makes sense. I’m thinking about taking it to a buddy who runs a little scheme out of a Toyota dealership and he’s well experienced with this stuff so I might just have him start it up for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom