'93 1fz-fe engine knock. Main bearings = toast = cracked crank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah after some thought, engine in the car is best.
He may do, though I think it is air, which doesn’t help cause I can’t get the car to him amd I don’t have a compressor.

I have a decent rattle gun that may do the job but it just doesn’t fit between the A/C condenser and the bolt unfortunately.

I’ve got a flywheel bolt out and will persevere with trying to find a bolt in the vicinity of 75mm long that will work to replace it and stop the engine rotating.
If this doesn’t work I’ll source some steel and make a pulley holder.

Now, enough thread hi jacking lol
Back to normal programming.

@mudgudgeon have you got your crank back yet?

No, tried calling late this afternoon with no luck.
Partsouq apparently delivered my parts to my son's house today.

Yes, this would be my go to with an engine in the car that can still be turned over.
Oops, just read that @Snowy105 had tried this without success.

Don't mind me, I'll just butt out now.

Oops, just read that @Snowy105 had tried this without success.

Don't mind me, I'll just butt out now.
I have suggestion if the engine is still in the car.

2 chains, loop them around the chassis rails on each side of the harmonic balancer and put a bolt through the end to secure the chain.

Now with the free ends of the chains, bolt them (M8x1.25 from memory) to the HB left chain to the top of the HB, right chain to the bottom of the HB.

This will stop the HB rotating when you try to undo the bolt.

I then used a 3/4 drive socket, 3/4 breaker bar, and a 2m length of 50mm water pipe over it, and yank on it. It was insainly tight.

That was the only thing that worked for me. I don't have a massive 1/2 impact gun.

No, tried calling late this afternoon with no luck.
Partsouq apparently delivered my parts to my son's house today.
Ah well, at least there’s some progress!
And you are right what I started with may as well have been cheese lol
But I was just working with what I could gather. Limited resources etc.

I’ve borrowed 3 sockets and two bars now lol. I need to get this thing off so I can return it all 😂

@rob2pedals now that’s an idea! Cheers 👍🏻
I was trying to dream up something with a ratchet strap as I saw that mentioned in another thread but couldn’t envisage how it would work.

The very first thing I tried was using the starter with a breaker lashed to the chassis rail it just stopped the motor dead, not even a hint of it working.

The thing is, my balancer came loose at 100km/h on the hwy cause the guy I bought the car from had the oil pump seal done right before I got it. His goon mechanic didn’t torque up the balancer properly.
Ended up having it towed with a tone of glitter in the oil, and my mechanic just inspected and retightened it. Which seems to be an understatement 😅 Oil pressure amd power steering came back she’s all good mate! NOT!! now the bottom end is shot.
Compression is good at petty much 190psi per cylinder.
So I’m pulling out the engine to redo the bottom end and patch it up till I can afford a V8 swap.

Can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate all the suggestions and help, it’s awesome. Thank you so much 👌🏼

Last edited:
dang, that sucks dude.

In my case, I'm the goon mechanic that probably should have / could have done things different when I had the head off. :meh:

Oh well. its part of the experience hey!!

I was asked today if the new VDJ79 I was standing next to at work was mine.
I laughed and said I'd love to own it, but not a chance I'd buy one. I'll stick with my 28year old 80. It owes me less than the deposit on old mate's finance package on the VDJ79

dang, that sucks dude.

In my case, I'm the goon mechanic that probably should have / could have done things different when I had the head off. :meh:

Oh well. its part of the experience hey!!

I was asked today if the new VDJ79 I was standing next to at work was mine.
I laughed and said I'd love to own it, but not a chance I'd buy one. I'll stick with my 28year old 80. It owes me less than the deposit on old mate's finance package on the VDJ79
Haha to true, to true.

It’s just the game though when you buy secondhand cars, usually just buying someone else’s problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m set now though, love this 105, so good to drive off road. Just have to get through these teething problems and enjoy the process of having a constant project 😉

Welp, now I'm on the search for a replacement crank shaft.
Mine is cracked :cry:

I'm a bit annoyed that it took two weeks to get that information, but dealing with small shops in a bit of a dying trade, it is what it is.

Problem now is, when I find another one, I'm probaby resetting the clock with the machine shop, assuming it's good.

Ah that’s a total bummer man.

Would be interested to know if it was the bearings getting cooked that did it. Hoping mine is t the same 🙏🏻 Otherwise it’s Time for an LS conversion

I finally got my balancer bolt loose today so I had a win finally!!

here’s a pic of the set up that only just worked….

2937998F-7B5F-414B-8A58-77E5951F4F58.jpeg
E2620619-D707-4CE2-B0E4-F77D4E7FABB5.jpeg

As you can see that bottom bolt really got a work out! Lucky it’s disposable.

It looks like I can get a new genuine crank out of UAE for $1600- ish to my door.

Or try to source a used one, wait another week or two to get it crack tested and maybe linished or ground.

No guarantees yet but potentially can supply a good quality aftermarket if you're interested in that option?

It looks like I can get a new genuine crank out of UAE for $1600- ish to my door.

Or try to source a used one, wait another week or two to get it crack tested and maybe linished or ground.
Why not do a new Toyota short block? By the time you get done sourcing the individual parts, that's where you may end up.

Why not do a new Toyota short block? By the time you get done sourcing the individual parts, that's where you may end up.

Source??

Right now, I see 10,756.57 reasons why not go for a short block, if one is even available
Screenshot_20210824-235446_Brave.jpg

Not opposed to it, but the number would have to be a LOT smaller. At that price, I'd prefer to find a wrecked 105 series at auction, and transplant a later 1fzfe, or convert with the turbo charged 1HZ I have in storage.

Source??

Right now, I see 10,756.57 reasons why not go for a short block, if one is even availableView attachment 2767998

Not opposed to it, but the number would have to be a LOT smaller. At that price, I'd prefer to find a wrecked 105 series at auction, and transplant a later 1fzfe, or convert with the turbo charged 1HZ I have in storage.

Olathe Toyota, Olathe KS.

Order it, ship it to my house.

Then order another one because that one got lost. Then you can come to my house, and we can ship it to AUS.

Wondering if your oil filter is made by Wix....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom