8x Series V8 Swaps (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think the majority that stick with auto trans are using adapter from Marks. Sourced through AdvanceAdapters. Although I've read of going straight to Marks for it.

yep go directly to marks. don't waste time with A/A and them adding more to the cost. And marks will ship to you by DHL and it will arrive in a matter of days versus weeks/months. They take paypal which takes care of the currency conversion.

That's very interesting about the signal strength. Thanks for the heads up.

before i went with the dakota box, i tried a 'pull-up' circuit to try and boost the signal. I must have done something wrong because that caused a lot of smoke. the dakota box was ordered after than experiment failed.

Hi guys,

I'm hopefully a way off from this on my truck but was curious about the cost of having a shop do a v8 shop. I just don't have the skills or experience to do it myself. I have been asking around and I keep getting answers around 25K to 30K. That seems kinda crazy. Is that really the going rate? Hopefully this comes down over time

I have been quoted any where from $18k to $30k depending on the condition of the v8 engine your putting in plus other factors. This is definitely not an easy job and requires more than just a swap. There are vendors here you can contact for more details.

What are the differences electronics wise between a 4l60/4l80, and a 6l80/6l90? I believe that the driveshaft clearance is the same for all of them, what are some of the pros and cons to these trannies other than cost, strength and gearing?
Thanks, I am headed to the yards today to figure out what is available... and how much$

yep go directly to marks. don't waste time with A/A and them adding more to the cost. And marks will ship to you by DHL and it will arrive in a matter of days versus weeks/months. They take paypal which takes care of the currency conversion.

Absolutely agree... I saved several hundreds dollar going direct to Marks.

What's the deal with GM e-rod swaps onto post '95 models and emissions?

It's my understanding the e-rod is only 50-state emissions compliant in '95 and earlier models?

What are the differences electronics wise between a 4l60/4l80, and a 6l80/6l90? I believe that the driveshaft clearance is the same for all of them, what are some of the pros and cons to these trannies other than cost, strength and gearing?
Thanks, I am headed to the yards today to figure out what is available... and how much$

There are differences in wiring between the 4 speed and 6 speed transmissions however the GM harness and PCM takes care of this. Where people get in trouble is trying to combine different years and it's why i would recommend getting a complete assembly from the donor vehicle. Gm made a lot of running changes over the years and it's just easier to get a matched set. Example: GM made a running change in certain vehicles where a sensor was added in the transmission to detect input shaft speed. Not all vehicles got them so if you happened to get an engine and harness from one vehicle and a transmission from another and this sensor was either part of the trans or the engine/harness you could run into issues. there is also the whole PWM torque converter thing. Moral of the story - get the whole shebang from a single donor vehicle.

I Just received my tcase adapter from advance. It is the marks one of course, for the 6l90e. I was quoted the exact same price from marks and advance for the kit. Difference for me was I only paid for shipping from advance in California and not from austalia. Advance gets a crate from marks once a month according to them ,so if you hit it rights you may not wait long. It took me 2 weeks.

I Just received my tcase adapter from advance. It is the marks one of course, for the 6l90e. I was quoted the exact same price from marks and advance for the kit. Difference for me was I only paid for shipping from advance in California and not from austalia. Advance gets a crate from marks once a month according to them ,so if you hit it rights you may not wait long. It took me 2 weeks.

took me 2 business days, and was cheaper to ship from australia than AA for my case being from Canada

Can somebody help me sort out the VSS connections for the 6L80?
Is the sender internal and connected to the PCM via the large circular connector at the rear of the 6L80 tranny?

Or do I need to wire the Toyota sender at the back of the T-case to the PCM as well as wire it to the speedo in the dash?

I have the Toyota Oil Pressure sender mounted on the oil cooler manifold for the sole purpose of providing a signal to the dash gage. I have the original Toyota harness plugged into it, I cannot recall for sure, but I think the sender has 3 wires (seems like there is an unused pig tail still on the harness and I have not yet opened it up. 3rd wire might in that pig tail and unused as well).

Does anybody know which wire(s) I need to pick up for the dash signal? which is the ground ?

I have the Toyota Oil Pressure sender mounted on the oil cooler manifold for the sole purpose of providing a signal to the dash gage. I have the original Toyota harness plugged into it, I cannot recall for sure, but I think the sender has 3 wires (seems like there is an unused pig tail still on the harness and I have not yet opened it up. 3rd wire might in that pig tail and unused as well).

Does anybody know which wire(s) I need to pick up for the dash signal? which is the ground ?

Did you get what you needed on this?

Aktundra, I'm doing the same swap now. the trans has its own vss built in. the trans ecm is in the trans oil pan so any info shared with the engine ecm is by data cable. The factory toyota vss will be left intact to run the speedometer only. That third wire in your oil pressure harness is for the a/c clutch if I recall correctly

a couple updated photos. I hope to fire it up monday. I was not able to use the mark's motor mounts so I built my own . They started with some plates from liquid iron industries and i went from there. I made the computer and fuse box mount out of 1/8" plate with a couple strategic bends in it and welded all the nuts to the backside to make component removal easy
IMG_4394.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom