For Sale 89 FJ62 2h Diesel, H55, locked, ARB etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: The turbo is on and running but it's not 100% done yet. It has been sitting for a year while I tried to find the time to finish the turbo.

Update#2
I got tired of trying to make my DIY turbo kit work and was able to buy a used kit from the forums. It's not installed yet.

The quick and dirty stats:

The good:
89 FJ62
2h Diesel rebuilt by me (Master Lexus Mechanic) with less than 5k miles on it I would guess. Rebuilt injection pump and injectors and alfin pistons installed for future turbo
H55 5sp. was purchased new when diesel went in. Not sure of mileage
~250k on body
Old OME heavy/heavy lift springs and shocks
ARB bumper
Warn 8270 (goes at asking price but otherwise might stay with me)
4.88s currently installed which dont work well with the diesel. Max highway speed is around 62 mph
Comes with 2 3.70 diffs and one 4.11 diff. (install them and sell the 4.88s for profit)
Detroit locker in the front
ARB air locker in the rear
33" BFG ATs with only a few thousand miles on them. (A few years old, doesnt get driven much)

The bad:
Currently in the middle of rust repair. I'm getting there but the previous owner had fresh paint donw four years ago over lots of bondo. If you know these trucks then you know where I'm talking about.

The frame is mostly solid with one little spot I will eventually worry about by one of the front rear shackles. The c-channel will need attention as well but the outer portion seems solid. The rear shock beam was just replaced with a new pipe. I didnt take pics for my thread.

All the seals were replaced with the engine rebuild but the crank was fairly grooved and the new rear main leaks oil. Next time the trans comes out I was going to see about getting a seal-saver sleeve for it and a new toyota seal. I used an aftermarket gasket kit from Australia.

Supposedly the steering box was rebuilt before i bought it but it has a lot of slop.

I put two new brake calipers on the front since they seized up but I havent done the rest of the brakes. Depending on when/if this sells the front will be getting new pads, rotors and birf service with the 3.70s

Flywheel has seen better days. Supposedly the clutch was new and flywheel resurfaced when I bought it. When I had it opened the clutch was new but the flywheel had seen better days with a few tiny surface cracks. It drove fine and I was short on money with the rebuild so I left it. Now sometimes she has a little clutch chatter.

Update:
It has been sitting for a year. Before I parked it I had replaced one of the brake calipers. The rotors need to be replaced but I haven't driven it yet since I got the turbo on. Just posting this up again if someone wants to take on this project that I don't have time for.

I'm located in Maryland.
Asking $8,000
$6000 obo

I have way more than that in it from being screwed by the mudder I bought it from with low compression and "no bondo," but I really wanted a diesel 5sp and she has served me fairly well for the last 4 years. Im just kind of tired of messing with her to get her where I wanted. She does still need work but is a good rig. It would be a bit slow but I wouldnt hesitate to drive her anywhere really. She was having problems starting when hot but I just rebuilt the starter solenoid and put in a new ground cable and she cranks like crazy now.

Build thread: My 2H is trashed

Last edited:
That'[s an awesome green color. Cool truck, needs some love! :)

The PO painted it a Land Rover green. Kind of sacrilegious if you ask me but the color is ok.

Come one people, don't make me post this in the diesel parts FS forum,
"2h, split transfer, h55 for sale. Comes with lockers, bumper, and a free truck. etc. You can even drive your new engine home"

Did you notice a change in fuel economy after the rebuild?

You know I never really measured the mileage again. The speedo is so far off with the h55 and gears that the mileage wouldn't be correct. I did the mileage before with gps and haven't run with it since really. I also run higher speeds on the highway than I did the day I bought it. On the trip back from when I bought it because the tires sucked and the LF wheel bearing was loose and about to let go I drove the whole way home at 59mph and 2450 rpms (digital tiny tach). I just did a three hour trip to DE and back last week and was pushing it up 95 going closer to 70mph running at 2750 rpms. Once the 3.70 gears go in she will be running a much better rpm on the highway but I wanted to get a turbo kit done first. I have a T04-16g turbo and flanges for it but I haven't started building the kit.

Would love to check it out. Annapolis?

Photobucket won't upload my turbo video. Bump for a great trail rig that is totally streetable. I'm tempted to keep it and bet it up offroad vs fixing it but I want to get rid of it and go another way.

Is that $8,000 asking price current or from pre-update?

That is current but I'm negotiable. I spent over $3k rebuilding the engine, pump, and injectors. It's probably worth more in parts but I don't feel like parting it out and I don't feel like continuing to fix rust. I don't have the time and I already have a new truck.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lowered price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom