86’ Fj60 Exhaust leak?? Help a 19 y/o out! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys! I need to call in the big dogs here. I’ve scoured all the forums on Intake/ exhaust manifold leaks and nothing has been of value.

I sucked a bit of sea foam through the pcv valve and could see white smoke coming from the area circled. I can always consistently feel air with my hand. Is there a plug of some sort that’s suppose to be here? It seems like it’s bigger than just an old gasket/small leak. What about this buildup on the Down pipe to the exhaust is this related??

Any and all help appreciated thanks guys! Sorry if I missed something in the forums. This is my first fj build!
IMG_1888.jpeg
IMG_1887.jpeg

Guys! I need to call in the big dogs here. I’ve scoured all the forums on Intake/ exhaust manifold leaks and nothing has been of value.

I sucked a bit of sea foam through the pcv valve and could see white smoke coming from the area circled. I can always consistently feel air with my hand. Is there a plug of some sort that’s suppose to be here? It seems like it’s bigger than just an old gasket/small leak. What about this buildup on the Down pipe to the exhaust is this related??

Any and all help appreciated thanks guys! Sorry if I missed something in the forums. This is my first fj build!View attachment 3493019View attachment 3493020
It runs like a top. No issues I’ve come across thus far.

Thanks for the response!

I got both manifolds out currently. While I am in there with everything out what else should be changed. Just manifold gasket and the two heat riser gaskets?

Thanks for the response!

I got both manifolds out currently. While I am in there with everything out what else should be changed. Just manifold gasket and the two heat riser gaskets?
EGR J-tube gasket if it still has smog, verify the actual tube isn’t cracked as well. The exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe gasket, and make sure your intake manifold isn’t cracked on the bottom side (above the heat riser)
Consider using a remflex exhaust/intake gasket as well, instead of OEM. It’s much thicker and more forgiving of warpage.

EGR J-tube gasket if it still has smog, verify the actual tube isn’t cracked as well. The exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe gasket, and make sure your intake manifold isn’t cracked on the bottom side (above the heat riser)
Consider using a remflex exhaust/intake gasket as well, instead of OEM. It’s much thicker and more forgiving of warpage.
Rad thanks BlackCat

Always a bit more of a pain with these CA smogged trucks

Rad thanks BlackCat

Always a bit more of a pain with these CA smogged trucks
The stock EGR j-pipe often cracks back at the flange, where it attaches to the rear of the manifold. Or the flange warps and won't seal right. The diamond-shaped gasket back there often leaks too, with or without the warping.

With your manifolds out it's a great time to check that j-pipe and flange and spend some QT putting it all back together. SOR sells a good stainless j-pipe, if you feel like spending even more money.

X2 on the Remflex gasket. I have had success using their ex manifold gasket as well as the EGR j-pipe gasket I mentioned above.

Any and all help appreciated thanks guys! Sorry if I missed something in the forums. This is my first fj build!View attachment 3493019View attachment 3493020

n

1701389562769.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom