80 Windshield R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes ladies, another 80 windshield thread! Cant believe I've spent the past few days going through old windshield threads. Ha!

Finally got tired of the constant leaks with the rains we've been having here in SoCal. After cleaning out the
sunroof drain tubes and gorilla/AL taping the sunroof (trying to isolate source). The 80 is still leaking... So I'm assuming it's the front glass.
Was going to wait to R&R (has a crack) the windshield after paint, but I figured I'd be dealing with rust issues by then, if I don't already it already.

So following the FSM Procedure

Question: Have any of you used the primer SUNSTAR 9002 T as stated in the FSM? Trying to do this right the first time.

Also thanks for all that have shared their install experiences. I hope to do the same as factory glass and factory gasket is waiting to be installed on Tuesday!

56111-60190 Glass (Green) 397.31
56121 Weatherstrip 61.03

Attachments

• FZJ80_WINDSHIELD_R&R.pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 411
Can’t open the pic because it took me down a rabbit hole. Why not post directly to Mud??? Works every time for me. I didn’t realize factory glass was still available. The Chinese crap windshield the auto glass company put in mine has an odd curve and my passenger wiper does not seat against it properly toward the outboard end.

I just sanded the couple small rust spots on my frame and primesd and painted with rustoleum. Here on the west coast rust isn’t near the treat that it is elsewhere. You might consider a rust converter then a top coat or a product like POR15 if you are overly concerned.

Yeah, I'm in SoCal also and for now my neighbors get to look at a blue tarp on my 80 because of the windshield and rear side window leaks. Probably get to it this summer or sometime during the 8 months of zero precipitation.

Any new leads on finding the sunstar 9002 T? Also how about the sikaflex 256 HV? I don't see it on the sikaflex site? If neither are available what are people using? Seems like most are just letting the glass installers do their job and leave it at that but there are too many bad experiences posted about windshield installs for me to let it go unsupervised.

Last edited:
Those products were spec'd 25 years ago, glass installers have the current equivalents.

Were you planning to do this yourself?

My installer Anthony at Alpha autoglass had Sikaflex brand Poly on hand. Finally found the culprit of the elusive water leak. It was coming from my front windshield. I used OE front windshield and all OE rubber.

Coming from an industry where anal retentiveness is just an everyday standard. Anthony went above and beyond on the install. Even though I could have done it myself it would have not been as clean as Alpha autoglass. It's a messy job and my motivation for anything past 1.5 bananas would gladly pass on doing this job.

My 80 is in the customer photos. It shows the rear glass, I had that done too... Hit Anthony up, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you his vendor. But better yet, have him do it. He's a Vet and is a perfectionist.

How is the installation holding up with the recent rains? My windshield is definitely leaking. I was planning on trying to reseal myself, but may just give it to Anthony after reading your post. Did you source the gasket yourself? Did you give him the FSM instructions? My windshield is OE and in good shape.

It’s been holding up excellent. I’m meticulous and anal about my stuff, almost as much as Joey, lol

Anthonyes work is better than factory, all I need to say. It’s a lot of work for the 80’s. Bummer I have to take it out again for
a full paint job. Yes, get the gasket yourself. Factory only... I gave him the FSM instructions but he already knew what to do. It’s good to have it just in case for reference. He went full retard on the install. Report back and let us know. I’m going back to him when it comes time for the paint job.

I had this dude do mine with all factory trimmings including new glass that I supplied.

Legit! Super nice guy, too.

Last edited:
Spoke to Anthony from Alpha auto glass at length today. He was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and it felt like he had the procedure outlined in the FSM memorized. I’m going to take a crack at resealing the gasket on windshield section myself, if that doesn’t work, it will be going direct to Anthony. He offered up all kinds of advice, including an open door to call him with any other questions. Solid guy for sure. I will be taking my truck and any other vehicles needing auto glass service to him going forward.

For those with leaks, you might consider trying to reseal it yourself without removing the glass. A few years ago my windshield started leaking on the PS and I asked the glass crack repair guy who had previously fixed a crack for me if he could fix it. He said he only handled cracks, but he would sell me some windshield sealant. I got a large tube of sealant from him, the size that fits in a caulk gun. I then carefully lifted up the top and side edges of the windshield seal and cleaned the crevice out really well with a putty knife and some rubbing alcohol, and some air from my air compressor. I was just trying to minimize dirt and dust. Then I got a decent bead of the sealant under the gasket. It was really strong smelling, very sticky stuff. It appeared way more serious than what I could have gotten at Pep Boys. I used gloves and tried to clean up any glue that got on the paint as quickly as I could. My truck is dark blue, and some of the sealant is visible on the paint if you get up close to look. If my truck were white I might not be as satisfied with the results, just because of the visible sealant.
A few years later and still no leaks. It was PITA and took me all afternoon, but I figured I had nothing to lose. I was going to pull the windshield if I couldn't get it to seal anyway.
I'm sorry I don't have the name of the sealant, but I think if you stop by a glass shop and hit them up they'd be happy to sell you some.

Since I'm dealing with my own windshield leak I've been looking for the correct sealant/adhesive to use.

Below are 2 links that may prove useful to other members who are looking for a sealant/adhesive to use.

So far i do have to point out that every sealant/adhesive I've researched has been made for gluing the glass directly to the metal windshield frame.

I've found NONE that are made for use with a rubber gasket like what's used on our trucks.

The first link is for cold applied sealant/adhesive.

The second one is for a Primer less applied sealant/adhesive.

My advice would be get the factory gasket and take your rig to a good glass installer. Mine does lots of hotrods and custom cars. I assume the glass was from China, but I'm not a purist. Installer did a great job and glass is great too. And it was pretty darn cheap to boot (for work on the cruiser). I personally think it is more about the installer, the procedure, and the gasket than the glass.

Had mine done recently. Wish I'd have done it years ago. Used a local independent installer recommended by a club member. OEM glass and gasket. Labeled Made In Japan. Had a few hard downpours lately. No leaks.

Since I'm dealing with my own windshield leak I've been looking for the correct sealant/adhesive to use.

Below are 2 links that may prove useful to other members who are looking for a sealant/adhesive to use.

So far i do have to point out that every sealant/adhesive I've researched has been made for gluing the glass directly to the metal windshield frame.

I've found NONE that are made for use with a rubber gasket like what's used on our trucks.

The first link is for cold applied sealant/adhesive.

The second one is for a Primer less applied sealant/adhesive.
I agree. I found that the black sealant my last installer used three years ago gave up its bond to both the rubber gasket and the glass. I used permatex non-solvent silicone windshield sealant to reseal and it has been working this past month.
All this talk about leaking windshields has me doing some snooping around on the internet. The H.A.M.B. Garage journal is a trust worthy sight where the focus is restoring classic cars. I read there where a long time auto glazier used red rubber grease on the type of gaskets our windshields use rather than a sealant. Apparently it aids install, seals well, helps to preserve the rubber and makes future removal easier. This may be worth looking into.

Here's a couple examples (there are others) of commonly used
products to attach a windshield. Key is to follow the FSM method,
no shortcuts.

There is also a specific type of primer used to seal off small scratches and to promote adhesion:

These fine 3M products are just like the Sikaflex products i linked to above. They are all make for a direct glue in of the windshield glass to the metal window frame without the use of a rubber gasket like what is used on our trucks.

Seeing as 99% of all the cars made today use glue in windshields, it may take awhile to find a suitable adhesive to use with our rubber gaskets.

So far I'm sorry to report that in all my research on line, I've been unable to locate one single product that even talks about being used in conjunction with a rubber gasket.

But as my wife says I'm a glutton for punishment, so i plan to keep looking until i find the correct product to use on our trucks.

Well i think i may of found a product that's made to work with rubber windshield gaskets, it's made by a company called C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.

First is a photo and info is on the tool to apply the sealant.

Catalog Number: 181AG

• Used to Dispense a Variety of Liquid Adhesives, Sealers and Primers
  • Includes Cap for Long Use Life
  • Fits Most 6 to 16 Fl. Oz. Cans

Next is the sealant info with part number.

Catalog Number: CRL1716

• Flow Grade Butyl Sealant Used to Fix Leaks in Both Gasket and Gasketless Installations
  • Adheres Well to Glass and Metal
  • Can be Used with Any Standard Adhesive Gun

CRL Professional Windshield and Repair Sealants are a flow grade liquid rubber polymer compound for auto glass installations and repair work. It remains elastic, adheres well to glass, metal and rubber surfaces and sets up as a permanent, flexible sealant. Apply with screw-on-adhesive applicator 181AG or by brush to fill any openings such as around clips in corners, or around setting blocks and backfilling operations on new gaskets.

And last is a little different product that should work with our trucks rubber gaskets too.

Catalog Number: CRL7711

• Can be Water Tested Immediately
  • Cures to a Butyl Tape Consistency
  • Applies Easily and Quickly

CRL Windshield Sealant is a one-part, ready-to-use sealant for resealing windshields and backlites. Also useful for sealing drip rails and pinchwelds after installation of vinyl hardtops. Cures to a tough, flexible, rubbery bead powerful adhesion to glass, butyl tape, and all metal surfaces. Black in color.

Links to where you can buy these products.

Amazon product ASIN B018HFJPJ6
Amazon product ASIN B000K40PGA
Amazon.com: C.R. LAURENCE CRL7711 CRL Windshield Sealant: Automotive

Used the method outlined by FireTruck41 over the weekend with SikaFlex P2G.

The SikaFlex was super viscous and extremely sticky, but appears to have worked - at least for 1 day of rain...

9EEA26D2-59C6-48D7-A064-52CE0FA69E93.jpeg

Used the method outlined by FireTruck41 over the weekend with SikaFlex P2G.

The SikaFlex was super viscous and extremely sticky, but appears to have worked - at least for 1 day of rain...

View attachment 2149373
Any update on the longevity of the repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom