80 Series -- Passive Grounding System? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Electronics (obviously) not my strong point. Do these rigs have a passive grounding system? ('95 here) I ask because something has to be modified if so...

What do you mean by "passive ground"?
Ha, can't tell you. I'm looking at headlights, mfr tells me they won't work out of the box if the vehicle has a passive grounding system, and points me to a shop that makes an adapter that mimics a standard ground for the headlight connections, if it turns out I need that. I can go back and ask what he means by "passive ground"--and hope he's not just repeating what someone else told him. Lemme do that...

Maybe he is referring to the switching concept. Typically lights and such like are energized by applying +ve voltage however Toyota energizes the headlamps on the 80 by switching on the -ve (earth). So if you tap off the headlight harness to activate the switch side of a relay then you get nada because you just applied a ground. A little fangling will sort it but its a pain in the arse if you don't know this beforehand.

Are your new headlights LED or HID or ?

There are some thing that must be done to adapt them to these truck because Toyota switches the ground side, not the hot side. Different than most other domestic vehicles.

Maybe he is referring to the switching concept. Typically lights and such like are energized by applying +ve voltage however Toyota energizes the headlamps on the 80 by switching on the -ve (earth). So if you tap off the headlight harness to activate the switch side of a relay then you get nada because you just applied a ground. A little fangling will sort it but its a pain in the arse if you don't know this beforehand.
Only the high beams are a switched ground. The low beams are switched +12.

The term "passive ground" has no meaning in electronics. Someone is making things up again.

LEDs with H4 connectors. Hmm. Lemme ask the shop he mentioned; they gotta know the deal...

Electronics (obviously) not my strong point. Do these rigs have a passive grounding system? ('95 here) I ask because something has to be modified if so...

Do you mean "positive ground"? Some older cars, especially those cursed with Lucas electrics, had a positive ground system. Every modern vehicle, including 80 Series', has a negative ground system.

Cheers

As long as their LED lights have a positive and ground wire coming out and the body/mount of the LED light is not electrically connected to either the positive or ground then they can be made to work.

Passive ground - if the manufacturer of the light (versus importer) states that, then I'd be questioning their engineering competence or congratulating them on creating a new bogus term :)

cheers,
george.

As long as their LED lights have a positive and ground wire coming out and the body/mount of the LED light is not electrically connected to either the positive or ground then they can be made to work.

Passive ground - if the manufacturer of the light (versus importer) states that, then I'd be questioning their engineering competence or congratulating them on creating a new bogus term :)

cheers,
george.
To my knowledge, the product is beyond reproach. Staff is very helpful. How knowledgeable they are on this issue, I dunno...

Let's do this another way. Is anyone running Vision X VX series lights--and if so, were they a straight install, or did you have to get tricksy with the wiring? I've seen them on 40s, but never thought about the wiring being an issue...

Last edited:
Okay, now they're just pissing me off. Now they say ignore the "passive ground" thing (doesn't apply to 80s); the 80 series has composite headlights with replaceable bulbs--which somehow means that their headlights (which are designed to replace sealed-beam headlights) will not work in these vehicles. I'm gonna say that's gotta be wrong; if you wire them in properly (whatever mods that may entail), they're gonna work. Do 40s have replaceable-bulb headlights? Because I've seen these lights on those... Anyone? ...Bueller?

Okay, now they're just pissing me off. Now they say ignore the "passive ground" thing (doesn't apply to 80s); the 80 series has composite headlights with replaceable bulbs--which somehow means that their headlights (which are designed to replace sealed-beam headlights) will not work in these vehicles. I'm gonna say that's gotta be wrong; if you wire them in properly (whatever mods that may entail), they're gonna work. Do 40s have replaceable-bulb headlights? Because I've seen these lights on those... Anyone? ...Bueller?
I was just looking at this. The lights you mentioned replace sealed beam lamps, like those on an FJ62. There's no way these will work on a US spec 80 Series. Look at the pictures on their web site. No gonna fit.

I was just looking at this. The lights you mentioned replace sealed beam lamps, like those on an FJ62. There's no way these will work on a US spec 80 Series. Look at the pictures on their web site. No gonna fit.
If you mean because they're round, @kelly saad ( landcruisergrilles.com ) has a very nice 7" round conversion housing (and various grilles to match). Electrically, it can't be that big a deal--or am I missing something (which is entirely possible)? Are you saying the sealed-beam design is too deep, or...? All I know is ICON runs these on their 40s, and they seem pretty awesome. :)

Last edited:
If you mean because they're round, @kelly saad ( landcruisergrilles.com ) has a very nice 7" round conversion housing (and various grilles to match). Electrically, it can't be that big a deal--or am I missing something (which is entirely possible)? Are you saying the sealed-beam design is too deep, or...? All I know is ICON runs these on their 40s, and they seem pretty awesome. :)
No, I mean because a US spec 80 Series doesn't have sealed beam lights. You would need to replace the headlamp assemblies, surrounds, and other bits and pieces to Aussie spec. They got 4 sealed beams, the US market did not.

Wiring LEDs shouldn't be an issue as long as each lamp has separate grounds for low and high.

If you replace the term "passive ground" with the term "common ground" it starts to make sense.

The 80's HI & LO beams do not share a common ground, they share a common positive. This is important when it comes to LED's, but it can remedied with a relay on the HI beam circuit.

No, I mean because a US spec 80 Series doesn't have sealed beam lights. You would need to replace the headlamp assemblies, surrounds, and other bits and pieces to Aussie spec. They got 4 sealed beams, the US market did not.

Wiring LEDs shouldn't be an issue as long as each lamp has separate grounds for low and high.
Uh-oh. Now I'm thinking Aussie enclosures and--four of these headlights? Gonna hafta rob a bank or something... But about those bits-and-pieces--in addition to Kelly's surrounds? Dunno much about the wiring side of things. Or swapping out square lights for sealed-beam rounds... :)

If you are using Kelly's grill then any round headlight will work. You will need a wire harness to connect the H4 plug for round headlight to the HB3/HB4 plugs on the Land Cruiser.

That's it? All other bits-and-pieces included with Kelley's setup?

Uh-oh. Now I'm thinking Aussie enclosures and--four of these headlights? Gonna hafta rob a bank or something... But about those bits-and-pieces--in addition to Kelly's surrounds? Dunno much about the wiring side of things. Or swapping out square lights for sealed-beam rounds... :)
I just visited landcruiasergrilles.com and now I see what you mean. That looks like it will take care of the physical installation.
Frankly, I didn't know that existed. After seeing the pictures, I kind of wish I hadn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom