80 series craigslist scam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just to warn everyone. I am looking for an 80 due to totaling mine and happened across this one in Dothan, AL. I have contacted the seller with emails and this is a scam. My wife researched the information and they make it sound as if they cannot get you a chance to see the car and want you to send them money. We were able to find other instances of this online. Buyer Beware

The tip off was the odd statements made in the email on the first email. the second email confirmed my suspicions. Their email address is jonesrebecca870@gmail.com and the address the email was sent from is nitro-912@cox.net

Craigslist ad:
95 LAND CRUISER

The Information they sent me in an email:
Email 1:
Hi ,

I am glad you are one of the people interested in buying my car. The price is $2000
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser Sunroof, 7 passengers. automatic transmision, hydramatic, cold A/C front and rear, CD player, cruise, air bags safety and much more.

No squeaks, rattles, noises, or smells...and of course, it was never, ever smoked in. Neither the ashtray, nor the cigarette lighter have ever been used. And with 139k mileage this car is just getting broken in. It looks great, and during the day, the sunlight really makes this elegant color dance. Of course, no dents, dings or unsightly parking lot mishaps.It is fully loaded with all available option.

Because of my divorce settlement, I own this car and as a woman I don't need it so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. The title is legally under my name, clear and free of any liens or loans.

Please let me know if you are interested and where are you located.
Thank you,
Rebecca

Email 2:
Hi again,

I'm a flight attendant for American Airlines and because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person. Before leaving I had pre-arranged a deal with eBay so my presence is not necessary. The vehicle is in their possession ready to be delivered. eBay will handle this transaction for me. The total amount that you will pay is $2000, with shipping and transfer fees included. You will receive the vehicle in max 48 hours and you will have the chance to inspect it for 5 days. The eBay department will hold and insure your money throughout the inspection. If by any reason you find something you don't like about the car you can send it back at my expense and eBay will send you a full refund. I'm sure it won't be the case because the vehicle is in excellent condition. It will come with all the necessary paperwork (clear title, bill of sale, user's manual etc). You will receive all the original documents. I signed all the paperwork and the clear title is ready to be transferred to the new owner.

If you are interested in buying my vehicle please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number so I can register the transaction with eBay and they will reply you with more details and information about this transaction.

Hers is a link to the car photo galley: Postimage.org / gallery - 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 21
Thanks, hope to do business with you soon!

I'm curious whose 80 that is though. They have the @bhicks upholders...

I'd beat someone's ass if they stole my pics and was scamming people.

Also saw those Craigslist ads, figured it was a scam based on the wording, too slick, and the price was too good to be true unless maybe it had a blown head gasket or major damage on one side. I sent a couple of emails but they never responded, one in Dothan, AL., the other in Northern Florida.

English as a second language in any kind of Internet deal makes me pause. Call me judgemental or paranoid, but never ripped off. Yet.

Something like this occurred back in 2009 when I was looking for an 80 series. Similar setup where the person wouldn't be around but I just needed to give my money to a trusted "escrow" and the truck would be delivered. I told the lady (yes, she claimed she was a female) that I would have one of my friends, a federal law enforcement special agent who was in the area of the supposed location of the 80, take look at the vehicle for me. As I suspected, that was the last i heard from her and her email was no longer active. Nice pickup on the warning signs!

At heart I am a vw guy. When I drove vw corrados I would always check ebay for parts cars etc. I was shocked one day when I found my car for sale on ebay lol.

Someone took my pics of a vw forum and used them to create an eBay ad.

This ad was posted on Detroit CL a few days ago. Same pictures and price, but without the elaborate story...

Last edited:
Yup posted here in Winston Salem
Nc with a local number for once instead of odd gmail or out of area #. I called yesterday and they actually answered and couldn't have been vaguer about "the" car and "its" condition and were unable to show it yesterday. They hung up when I told them add stated it had a bumper and it didnt and the add said coopers when clearly you have RWL bfgs :)

See those all the time on CL-It you use Searchtempest same ads in all the cities around you too. Lots ot times Palm trees-mountains-etc in the background-when this is Illinois. I scan the cars for sale by owner sometimes-it's done with all makes.

Same scam was ran about 6 months ago here in atl. Same emails sent to me, when I emailed them again and said ebay doesn't handle sales.... never heard back again.

I sent her $2K Western Union and love my new Cruiser.
Can't believe I got it for the price of Lockers alone!

On another note I bought my last car off Craigslist!
I'd rather get Scammed on Craigslist, then raped at the Stealership.
There are deals out there if you know what your looking for.

95" Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale - $2000
00w0w_jZfRW92FrgD_600x450.jpg

00202_asQ5oCpUW0a_600x450.jpg

1995 Land Cruiser For Sale

fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

White exterior with tan interior. Newer brakes, tires and shocks. 149k miles currently with regular Toyota oil changes. Overhead dvd player, rear view display, blue tooth, all the bells and whistles available in 1995. Clean Carfax, non-smoker, no pets.

Thanks for looking and good luck.

show contact info
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

when I was selling my teryx a guy got ahold of me and told me he was an engineer of sorts and worked off shore and wanted to send someone to come and pick it up. it so happens he used the same story with a buddy of mine who was selling his Harley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom