For Sale '78 FJ40 - As Featured in Toyota 4WD Magazine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well guys - it pains me to write this, but after many years of deliberation and putting the decision off, I'm selling Clifford. He's been sitting at my moms place in Portland Oregon for the last 5 years while I've been traveling and living in different places (now in San Francisco).

My mother is moving to Mexico, and parking in SF makes zero sense, so it's time for me to find him a home that will care for him more than I can right now.

As many of you know, I have over $25k in receipts, he's been in Toyota 4WD Magazine, and I've had offers at the $30k mark, HOWEVER - he's been sitting outside for the last 5 years, and has only been run a few times over that time span. His battery is dead, some of the paint is cracking a bit near the front cowl, and all the fluids and drive train seals will need to be done.

I'm going to list him for $18k $16,200 , and am listing here first with the hopes that a forum member will rescue him and not someone on Craigslist. He's obviously sold as-is since I haven't run him in a while and can't detail out each thing you'll need to polish up before he's ready for another magazine worthy adventure. The price is set so I hopefully don't have to deal with much haggling, as I won't be present for the sale (out of state). He's ready for pick up in Portland.

Here are some pictures to stoke the memory:

High Level Pro's:
  • Frame off restoration (sand blasted and powdercoated frame).
  • 3/4 Aqualoo Aluminum Tub
  • Crate 350 GM w. 4bbl Carb
  • TH350 Automatic Transmission
  • 33x12.50 Cooper TT's
  • Custom Fab Roof Rack
  • Custom Fab Rear Tire Carrier
  • Dynamat throughout front cowl to reduce noise
  • Hot Rod Guage Cluster
  • Freeborn Red Paintjob (2006)

Known Needs:
  • All fluids flush/replace
  • New battery
  • Has a roof top tent that's been sitting outside (on top) and probably is best just thrown away due to moist PNW air.
  • Carpet inside should be replaced as the interior smells very musty (from moisture)
  • Needs new headliner
  • Front drive shaft needs to be secured (missing 4 or so bolts)

Last edited:
Nice looking 40. Wishing you luck with the sale but also hoping it sticks around another month until I'm ready to buy.

Best line in any land cruiser video...

What's that?...

That a LandCruiser!!!!!!

Well, the site is odd. It won't let me PM you, because supposedly my inbox is full (it's practically empty), so I am trying to contact you regarding Clifford here. The whole thing may be a waste, but I thought I would throw it out there: I have been looking for a serviceable 40 for over a year. I have a project where I am supposed to travel throghout the west interviewing outsider collectors etc. The vehicle will be a character in the project. So I need something interesting, durable, collectable, with photographic eye candy. I worked with Toyota for a number of years, always I wanted an LC. While yours admittedly needs some refresh on the cosmetics, I feel I can handle those, especially as i go along. The mechanics, frankly I am not well versed. I'm in San francisco, (spend time in LA. etc). My thought, and it's out there, would be, to give asking, get us up to Portland, perform essentially triage on Clifford and drive him back to SF. That would give me some experience with the actual owner and better idea of what I will need to address before I start. Also I would assume a knowledge of Cliffords idiosyncracies, so when i am on the road alone, i can address. It's an odd proposal, and I am really just throwing the idea out, to see if theres traction. The only thing i can promise, is if it is something we went forward with, Clifford could not find a better caretaker, I tend to keep my cars forever, and there is a record of a will where I asked to be buried in a 1968 MB I owned and loved (turns out it's not that easy to do). Let me know if something you have any interest, understand if not, best hss

Well, the site is odd. It won't let me PM you, because supposedly my inbox is full (it's practically empty), so I am trying to contact you regarding Clifford here. The whole thing may be a waste, but I thought I would throw it out there: I have been looking for a serviceable 40 for over a year. I have a project where I am supposed to travel throghout the west interviewing outsider collectors etc. The vehicle will be a character in the project. So I need something interesting, durable, collectable, with photographic eye candy. I worked with Toyota for a number of years, always I wanted an LC. While yours admittedly needs some refresh on the cosmetics, I feel I can handle those, especially as i go along. The mechanics, frankly I am not well versed. I'm in San francisco, (spend time in LA. etc). My thought, and it's out there, would be, to give asking, get us up to Portland, perform essentially triage on Clifford and drive him back to SF. That would give me some experience with the actual owner and better idea of what I will need to address before I start. Also I would assume a knowledge of Cliffords idiosyncracies, so when i am on the road alone, i can address. It's an odd proposal, and I am really just throwing the idea out, to see if theres traction. The only thing i can promise, is if it is something we went forward with, Clifford could not find a better caretaker, I tend to keep my cars forever, and there is a record of a will where I asked to be buried in a 1968 MB I owned and loved (turns out it's not that easy to do). Let me know if something you have any interest, understand if not, best hss

If you're still interested, give my cell a ring today @805.679.1057

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom