Builds 77 FJ40 Build, It begins...and may take a while (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have a downey tank too so i need the posts positioned in front of the cross member. i’ve kept the alcans in the stock orientation but i’ve moved my hangers back a bunch. so yes my axle has been moved back so the shock mount will be i front of my axle

i’m not sure about the 1/4 tire size measurement but so far i’m happy with my antiwrap bar. i just tried to get the upper bar horizontal while keeping the axle tube bracket out of the way of other stuff. mines the heavy duty one from ruffstuff

back at it tonight. i pulled the driveline out to start the real welding. hope it works out. i’ve been so careful tomlibe things up that i hope once it’s all welded up it still matches up!! i got the rear shock tabs tacked on. i’m going to leave the axle stuff until i get the frame finished and coated and the body and all the weight on. then i can adjust castor and do all the jump turn stops and gussets as well and brake line tabs. ill cost them and do the final build then. ill also seal the open box ends of the tranny cross member and probably add some built in nuts to mount a skid plate to it
CA6B7D6E-886B-4B23-9808-E53700E57CB4.jpeg
16FA5B66-A72B-4D17-834C-6D9D3A25BDB4.jpeg
5B7464C0-40F1-4ED4-960B-099F98A8E3A2.jpeg

BC9B584C-9FBE-4193-B13A-DA520BC84030.jpeg

can anyone tell me what this frame mount is for. it’s just in front of the passenger side step support.
1E2AD10E-E974-455F-8ACB-2DF54ED2A258.jpeg

i can’t remember if i need it for the body or not. i think it’s an engine or tranny mount but can’t remember

pretty sure its a tranny mount. the one on the outside of the frame is for the body.

that’s my plan. just want to leave ones i might need!! if that’s a tranny mount it’s going! i’m going to hot tanknthe frame and galvanize it so the mounts that might have some rust behind that are staying will be ok. i just don’t want extra unused mounts that’ll get in the way of exhaust and fuel lines etc. and yes i’m cleaning th rust on the frame to clean metal before any welding of new mounts

all i know is that that mount was tossed aside on mine :) 4l60e to atlas combo.

that’s my plan. just want to leave ones i might need!! if that’s a tranny mount it’s going! i’m going to hot tanknthe frame and galvanize it so the mounts that might have some rust behind that are staying will be ok. i just don’t want extra unused mounts that’ll get in the way of exhaust and fuel lines etc. and yes i’m cleaning th rust on the frame to clean metal before any welding of new mounts

I assume there’s some facility near you for galvanizing?

I assume there’s some facility near you for galvanizing?

yep. they’ve got a big enough tank to dip it and then they’ll also top coat it before the zink oxidizes.

i was going to ask what are you planning to use for brake line attachment to your axle tubes?

lol. i know i’m jumping the gun a little. just want to plan ahead for when it comes so i haven’t painted and made everything pretty just tonhave tongrind a bunch on stuff off to weld tabs on or something. funny all the little rabbit trails the brain takes when building something like this

lol. my welds are improving but not going to win any beauty contests!! the frame will look good but more importantly hopefully last in the canadian winters.

i figured i’d just weld them up. those holes are just for the bumperettes anyway right? i’m hoping to get a 4 plus bumper or build something like it anyway so it’ll be covered. i like the Awl Teq ones for sure. my metal is still pretty good otherwise and i don’t really feel like pounding out more rivets and cutting some welds i’ve made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom