'74 fj40 F engine CARB issue (i think) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, new to me fj40, rough running since purchase, needed choke pulled out almost fully to run her (but grateful that I got her to run at all). Changed and set points/plugs/condenser/coil/plug lines/vacuum pipes/flushed gas tank/new fuel filter. Still rough. Skimmed intake manifold, new gaskets. Vacuum better, 1-2 points on the low side.
Valve clearances seem ok (first time ever doing this check, so not 100% sure)
Still rough so i rebuilt the carb.........
Now, starts 1st turn, idles a bit better, choke needs to be pulled 25% to keep idling. But as soon as I push gas she stalls :( . I reset points and timing, no better. I tried a road test, 100yards of start and stall, heavy backfiring, embarrassing noisy limp home.
I am close to towing it to a shop, but i hate to be defeated and brief inquiry finds no shop really interested in this old school tinkering.

This is my last resort, hoping someone will say "you rookie, it's obviously the..........." :)
thanks
Garry, hawaii

Post up a pic or two under the hood so we can see the carb, distributor, etc. Knowing what you're working with will help us help u.

Classic signs of a non- functioning fuel cut-off solenoid

You still have a vacuum leak. You also haven’t mentioned ignition timing. And the centrifugal weights in the distributor may may have frozen up, maybe causing stumbling off idle.

So how many carbs have you done? Did you take it apart and clean everything by soaking it in carb stuff ( I just got an ultrasonic cleaner with a gallon of carb cleaner for it) then running a wire threw all the passages/jets... and then a good high pressure air blow. Usually there is some guidance for the mixture/idle setting but they still need adjusted for your engine/fuel/altitude...

Just because you bought new parts doesn't mean they are good. Start it up in the dark and look for sparks leaking out of the ignition system. Check your plugs again and do a compression check while you are at it.

crap in fuel? You look in your tank? Old fuel lines will deteriorate and clog carb. New filter? Glass bowl type, might be able to see crud. Idle solenoid as mentioned above, remove from carb and watch if it moves when you turn key.
Pics will help get responses. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom