Builds '73 FJ40 rebuild - family wheeler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello! I’m an long time ‘Mudder but I’ve never ventured into the world of 40’s before, so I figure an introduction is needed. When I joined TLCA and ‘Mud, I had just bought a ’97 FZJ80 that was built and beat over the course of my ownership. Due to financial issues, the poor thing got neglected to the point where I needed to do a complete rebuild to keep it safe for my growing family. I had also discovered that it would never be good at what I wanted it to do: rock crawling. The farther I built it, the more limitations it showed and it became worse at what 80’s are so good at. It was time to let my baby go.

This is one of the last pics of “Jillian”. You can find her build thread here: The Rebirth of Jillian
RockyUp-Hill.jpg

Luckily, a good friend of mine was starting to build up an 80 and wanted a lot of the parts Jillian had. He also had a well-built ’84 Toy p/u that he was willing to trade. I have to say, this little truck is amazing and instantly won my heart. The only problem was the small cab. My daughter is getting older (will be 4 next month) and I want to start taking her along on my adventures. I knew the ownership of this truck would be short as I needed a family wheeler but it was so much fun!

Here is a shot of the mini, just for reference. If you are interested, here is the thread on her: Project Turn-Key
2012-06-10-12-05-03-853.jpg

I decided that the perfect family wheeler for me would be an FJ40. I have always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. I thought it would be a great idea to buy a shell and build it up while I could wheel the mini in the meantime. I got a great deal on an abandoned project: a 1971 FJ40. I bought it sight-unseen with the grand illusions of what it could be. I could build it exactly how I wanted! My wife and I took a weekend to get it and I started making a plan… Then I made the mistake of trying to figure out the cost of my plan. And how much time it would take. I came to the realization that I wanted my daughter wheeling with me now and not when she was a teenager! My plan wasn’t going to work…

Pic of the ’71 getting strapped down for the ride home:
20130126-164514-zps53033a00.jpg

I was discussing the plans and getting ideas on my club forum when an inactive member got ahold of me. He had a 5/73 FJ40 that he built up and parked. The last time it was used was 3 years ago and hadn’t seen it for at least 5. However, the set-up was a lot like I had planned: 1F, SM465, 205 doubler, 3-spd case, 5.29’s, lockers, Saganaw PS, SOA, stretched WB, etc. What made it better is he would be willing to trade for my mini-truck… I was intrigued. We finally got a chance to get together and check out the trucks. There was a lot of good stuff on the 40 and a lot of things I would like to change. However, the price was right and it came with a long box full of parts!

Here are pics from the PO. This was the last time the 40 was on the trail:
DSCN383612_zps3626d46c.jpg

DSCN383412_zpsae169275.jpg

DSCN379812_zps75767dd8.jpg

DSCN381812_zpsd9cc4b05.jpg

And some of the trade:
ResizedImage951362457143869_zps1b28799f.jpg

ResizedImage951362457099189_zpsa4a9d310.jpg

ResizedImage951362457062616_zpscac45d1e.jpg

Due to the 40 being stored for so long and a lot of half-done projects, it will take a while before it is on the trail. However, everything works. It just needs to be dialed in… I need to start by organizing the parts that came with it so I can get it into the garage and then start tweaking what is there.

Like I said before, I am very new to 40’s and I would appreciate any advice that you can give. This obviously isn’t going to be a restoration, but something as capable as I can get it on the rocks and trails while being safe for my family and staying street legal. I’m not going to put this in hardcore because that is not the goal. I will be sticking with old school tech and the KISS philosophy…

Last edited:
In for updates, even though I'll be wrenching on this with you soon enough. :beer:

I finally got to DMV yesterday, so it is officially mine! That also means it got off the trailer and into the garage. The biggest things now is to tie up loose ends. The only thing I'm not sure about is the carb. I have all of the parts I need to bolt on a Tollhole but that's money I really didn't want to spend right now. It has a freshly rebuilt Weber 32/36 but it is not tuned and I really don't know anything about carbs... Ideally, I would love to modify/tune the Weber to work well but I will definately need some help with that. I may check the compression and adjust the valves just to make sure that I'm not chasing my tail.

So I got a little bit of work done. The Rancho RS9000 shocks are back on the front. They didn't have the sleeves in the bushings but I was able to find some in my bolt bin. I also re-grounded the front turn signals so they now work all of the time! Last thing I did was try to adjust the alt. The belt was squeeling but seemed to have good tention. I figured that it was due to the brackets being loose (too small of bolt on the pivot, stacked washers, etc.) when it was converted to a 1-wire GM setup. I got it all sorted out, put it back on and the bearings promply locked up. Looks like I'll be adding an alt to my list of things to buy!

So I have a Kayline/STC Fast Trac top that came with the 40 but it is missing the rail that bolts to the body, the mounting bracket for the bows and a couple other misc hardware pieces that I could make. It also came with full BesTop soft doors but I'm not sure if those doors will work with a Kayline top. I have had no luck finding those missing parts for sale and the STC went out of business 10+ years ago. Judging by how much they are going for, I could probably sell the Kayline for $300 - $350 and buy a new BesTop for $550 (they are on sale right now on Amazon). Again, it's just money I wanted to spend on other things... So I ask the masses: What would you do? I need to get a top on it to keep the :princess: happy in the fall...

Trail rig, right? Go for the newer top. You'll never have to worry about replacement part availability again.

Last thing you need is to invest more money and time into a top that will be difficult to mend if it eats sheet during a trail run.

What'd you do with the other project rig?

I found out my alt wasn't shot! Once it was adjusted to where the belt was tight, the fins were binding on the bracket. I'm going to blame that oversite on it being late! LOL. I put the belt on as tight as I could without interferance and she is LOOSE but not squeeling or throwing the belt... Oh well. Belts are cheaper than alts!

I was also able to drive it around a bit. Something is for sure not tuned correctly but all in all I was shocked at how well she drove! More tweeking to come... And maybe some pics. I know that I've been slacking on that!

I am also working on a To Do list, itemized out into stages. I do have a question though, do any of you guys care about this build at all? I have a thread on my club forum as well and I can let this die if you guys aren't interested... No hard feelings either way, just let me know.

Keep it up! :beer:

(I don't want to have to check multiple sites if I don't have to :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom