72 FJ40 - Pierre (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guster

SILVER Star
Threads
I was fortunate enough to pickup a 1972 FJ40, Pierre, this past weekend. Pierre was the original owner who passed the cruiser down to his daughter. My sister/nephew/brother-in-law told me about the truck and I let them know if the owners would sell I'll buy. They were able to get a deal done so I made the 13 hour trip to get Pierre on a trailer and tow home. I've owned a FJ60 in the past and I'm working on finishing up a FJ55 project for my son but this is my first FJ40. I'm pretty sure this was originally a factory soft top model that was switched to a hard top many years ago. The last tag on the license plate is from 1985 but it has been driven around a little lake community since that time.

I'm super excited about the lack of rust and getting this thing running. We were told the engine has some issues but no details were given. They included a second engine but I also don't have any details on its condition. The current engine runs for a few seconds if you pour fuel in the carb. I'll be checking the fuel pump and lines for any problems. Planning on keeping this as original as possible but need to look into getting hard top doors and a rear hatch while not removing/ruining any of the factory soft top components.

fj40-front-ds.jpg

fj40-front.jpg

engine1.jpg

winch.jpg

I was fortunate enough to pickup a 1972 FJ40, Pierre, this past weekend. Pierre was the original owner who passed the cruiser down to his daughter. My sister/nephew/brother-in-law told me about the truck and I let them know if the owners would sell I'll buy. They were able to get a deal done so I made the 13 hour trip to get Pierre on a trailer and tow home. I've owned a FJ60 in the past and I'm working on finishing up a FJ55 project for my son but this is my first FJ40. I'm pretty sure this was originally a factory soft top model that was switched to a hard top many years ago. The last tag on the license plate is from 1985 but it has been driven around a little lake community since that time.

I'm super excited about the lack of rust and getting this thing running. We were told the engine has some issues but no details were given. They included a second engine but I also don't have any details on its condition. The current engine runs for a few seconds if you pour fuel in the carb. I'll be checking the fuel pump and lines for any problems. Planning on keeping this as original as possible but need to look into getting hard top doors and a rear hatch while not removing/ruining any of the factory soft top components.

View attachment 1561221

View attachment 1561222

View attachment 1561228

View attachment 1561233

Great buy. Its an FST too! Have fun with it and resist the urge to repaint.

Very nice looking 40. For what ever reason the passenger's seat has been replaced with what looks like a 68-70 seat. 72 seat would have a split back with emissions in the small sectio. Is the latch on the driver's seat different? If you plan on running hard doors I would start soaking something for ruse on the threads on the eyebolt for the safety straps. They need to come off to run hard doors. I strip a set out of a 71 years ago and bolt the weld on the fixed nut in the dash. When I said years ago this was in the late eighties.

For what ever reason the passenger's seat has been replaced with what looks like a 68-70 seat.

Noticed that, not sure why they made that change. For comfort I'd like bucket seats but will probably look at finding the correct passenger seat for a 72 then reupholster all seats.

If you plan on running hard doors I would start soaking something for ruse on the threads on the eyebolt for the safety straps. They need to come off to run hard doors.

Did not know that, thanks for the information. Might push me in the direction of restoring back to a FST.

Are the soft top bows kicking around?

Are the soft top bows kicking around?

Unfortunately, the sellers were out of town when I went down to pick up. They had moved everything to my sister's place the prior week. It looks like they included every part they thought was related. I now have extra carbs and intake manifolds but no body parts, except they did include the spare tire carrier.

Unfortunately, the sellers were out of town when I went down to pick up. They had moved everything to my sister's place the prior week. It looks like they included every part they thought was related. I now have extra carbs and intake manifolds but no body parts, except they did have the spare tire carrier.

'72 is a bit of an oddball year. There are a few one year or a few year only parts. Yours looks really complete amd original except the hardtop and passenger sode bench. Good Luck.

I would probably get a picture of what factory bows looks like back to the owners. They may still be around and think they are tubing for something else. Couldn't hurt to try.

I'll give it a shot, found a decent picture from another thread. Thanks

Had a food problem with the muffler....

muffler-food.jpg

Completely full of some kind of pet food. Engine ran for a bit, started smoking pretty bad, burnt pet food from a muffler is a different kind of stink.

Very nice find! Looks very similar to the red 1971 FST I just picked up. It was originally from California with blue plates like that. Only thing missing are the soft top doors. Have fun tinkering!

As the others have said, don’t paint it!

:)

Very sweet find. Agree on keeping the patina if possible, but if your heart says 'shiny red new paint job', I won't second guess you on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom