72 fj40 front spring Question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone run into this problem and come up with a easy remedy? Have new old man front springs with centering/locating pins installed as part of the springs which is long enough to fit into the hole in the spring perch to keep the front axle housing from shifting for and aft in rough conditions. The problem I have is when I install the caster wedge between the spring and perch the pin is now not long enough to engage the hole in the mounting perch on the front axle housing... I need longer pins on the spring to engage the centering holes on the axle spring perch... Any ideas before I break out the mig...... Thanks, Dave

Has anyone run into this problem and come up with a easy remedy? Have new old man front springs with centering/locating pins installed as part of the springs which is long enough to fit into the hole in the spring perch to keep the front axle housing from shifting for and aft in rough conditions. The problem I have is when I install the caster wedge between the spring and perch the pin is now not long enough to engage the hole in the mounting perch on the front axle housing... I need longer pins on the spring to engage the centering holes on the axle spring perch... Any ideas before I break out the mig...... Thanks, Dave

Call Georg at Valley Hybrids or Cruiser Outfitters, they'll be able to set you up with longer pins.

new center bolt and centerbolt spacer. Spring shops will have them

Or, OME should have a 10mm ( 3/8 ) centerbolt. You can use a long allen head style bolt. They are generally hardened steel.
If you have a drill press you can use a 3/8 nut and drill the center out . Slide it over the centerbolt. You may or may not need
to flatten the peaks of the nut to fit the spring perch.

An "official" manufactured spacer is just a short piece of 3/8" ID tube. A nut minus threads works fine

320468-leaf-spring-bolt-1c_320-468_1.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will look into checking the local spring shops first. Thanks again, Dave

If they're 10mm then FJ60 pins should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom