72 FJ40 Chevota Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grishw1, the paint is Upol Raptor.
Amazon.com: U-POL Tintable TRUCK BED LINER SPRAY COATING-Bedliner: Automotive

Been working on it. It's just slow on the wiring.
View attachment 1349162
View attachment 1349163
Wired the tail lights, back up lights to the transmission, turn signals, and fuel sending unit.
View attachment 1349164
Connected the fuel fill to the fuel tank.
View attachment 1349165

View attachment 1349166
Been reading your build thread, looks amazing. How much Raptor Liner did you end up buying to paint the exterior? Thanks!

4 liters of black under and inside and 3 liters of tintable for the outside. To do it again I would have shot the outside with 4 liters. Lots of odd angles to reach on the outside parts. The spray gun needs to be held upright so it gets difficult to get good coverage with each pass. After one pass I rehung the parts to make sure I got the underside covered. They recommend 3 coats. I probably averaged 2 1/2 coats.

So, have you got those mirrors? Are you putting some miles on this thing? Please tell me you are enjoying all of your hard work.

I have gone through this whole build thread 3 times today alone.... thank you! haha

Baja73,
I take it out for drives around the neighborhood on weekends making sure nothing falls off.
I installed a set of Coleman ATV mirrors I heard about here on mud (looks only, cannot see anything through them). The mirrors from CCOT have not been in stock.
Although I can drive it, it is definitely not done. Still need to finish the dash wiring. Finishing details are hell.
The suspension is nice and comfy. My shackles are nearly vertical but the ride is soft over bumps. I need to check the caster cause the steering wheel doesn't return by itself after a turn. I don't have to fight to get it back. It tracks good going straight have not done freeway speeds yet. With the power steering I can turn those 12x35's with one finger standing still.
The computer throws a VSS code after about 5 miles. That's next on my list to finish.

m3roar, glad to hear you are enjoying it, hope it helps.

I've learned that they are a perpetual project. I don't mind though because I really like it. You have to. I'm glad to hear that you have it moving. That's great. Build confidence around town. I'm doing the same thing right now. I did take mine on the highway for the first time and got it up to 65mph. Now I think I know what it must have felt like to be in the nose of a rocket heading into outer space. They were definitely not built for speed. That is awesome that the power steering is working so good. That will make driving it that much more enjoyable. Thanks for the update.

Finally got my mirrors but have not installed them yet. Replaced the right rear caliper that had a leaking piston. When I first installed the rear calipers I had not tilted the rear differential. After the diff was tilted could not remove the lower caliper bolt. Flipped the caliper plate and all is well now. Been on a break doing family stuff. 3000 mile Road trip to Mt Rushmore and back (not in the 40).

Love the build. Excellent work.

On your rear tank what did you use for the filler neck, hose, and door. Did the lines fit well without the body lift or was that what allowed enough clearance?

Thanks,
Tim

I don’t know if that door is sealed or not. I have one on my rig that is not sealed and when I turn the fuel sloshes up against it and finds its way out and onto the paint. I found a recess and door that I am getting ready to weld in. That will have a stock fuel neck that should be sealed and will stop this. Make sure it’s sealed.

The fuel neck I used uses a screw on sealed gas cap behind the door.

The fuel neck I used uses a screw on sealed gas cap behind the door.
That’s perfect. You need that to contain the fuel vapors as well.

How is your FJ doing? Have you been driving it much. I was tracking your progress as you were putting it together and posting. I like what you have done. Hopefully you are enjoying it.

Hello everybody. After driving for a while I had some oil leaks and the engine didn't want to start reliably. I was really disappointed after all that work. Went off and did other things for a while, then retired. Finally decided to dust her off and give it another go.
The leaks were mostly from transfer case bolts. Got them fixed in a couple of days.
First I traced the hard starting to a wrong 'in tank' fuel pump. (Pressure was too low for a TBI).
Second I tracked down an ignition wiring error. I had the ignition connected to the 'ON' terminal of the starter switch instead of the 'ON while cranking' terminal. I don't know how it ever started.
I can now stand outside the vehicle, turn the key and this baby starts every time and idles nice!! Really happy with it. It acts like a fuel injected, computer controlled engine now.

Had this aluminum glove box door back when I did my gauges. Could never figure out how to mount the hinges. Well, it finally came to me. Picked up some homedepot hinges, pulled the pins and did some trimming. Getting away from this for a while seems to have helped.

C9270C0C-DF93-41A0-9519-CEEC1164B48A.jpeg

CC770B80-E927-44D2-96D5-C97DDF61FFC5.jpeg

AE021129-2AE0-4708-9981-7348D8FAFA98.jpeg

B97B3D28-FF57-423E-9F5B-2DC6F4A764F0.jpeg

On to installing switches in the dash.

394C2794-77EB-489F-B342-1342E9CE4303.jpeg

FD8633AB-98C2-456A-977F-29A5FB3B93FE.jpeg

AF8B1E12-5FB3-421A-9099-1FD2B926C931.jpeg

DFABC682-8D98-4FC7-B219-E6804E9C4991.jpeg

Sometimes you gotta walk away. As long as you come back. Glad your back with renewed zest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom