72 FJ40 Chevota Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tokamak

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,

I think it is finally time to introduce myself and document my build. I picked up this '72 FJ40 from my daughter in law in 2006. She needed to get rid of it and had always wanted one. I was in the middle of a house remodel and had no garage. So she sat waiting for me to get done. I started reading builds on ih8mud in the tech links and learning about the options. Didn't know about FAQ but sure wish I had. Finally finished the remodel and the wife let me build a garage.

I started picking up parts here and there but committed to disassembly in Oct 2011.

Thanks for all of your help so far with your build threads, posts and answers to my sometimes anal questions. This is a great source of knowledge, and I want to learn and contribute too.

John
DSCN2825 shed.jpg
Orig FJ in yard.jpg
P4060032 drag it in.jpg

Welcome. Looks like a nice project My 78 has been in my shop for 2 years without a body , Take your time and you'll be happy with the results.

Catching you up on the work already done

I decided on the GM 350 TBI. Went looking for a donor vehicle. I opted for a used engine and the safest was a low milage complete vehicle. Wasn't sure about the LS1 so I went with the Gen1. To do it again I would probably go with the LS1 for the lap top computer interface.

I found an 88,000 mile GMC 3500 Sierra running strong was originally owner by the city of Santa Barbara. Figured I would be safe.

Removed the engine, and the complete wiring harness to the tail lights, fuel pump, sending unit, fuel lines, computer, fuse box and relays.

Cleaned the exterior of the engine, removed the covers, intake manifold, and oil pan. Painted everything and re assembled.
P7140092 GMC Engine pull web.jpg
P7140094 dirty engine.jpg
PB130019 long block painted.jpg

Nice and Welcome. Keep the pics coming...

Looking good. Like others have said, take your time. I raced through my to get it done and it took 75% of the fun out of it

NV4500 Transmission

Still catching you up on my build.
I found a used NV4500 from a 1995 Tahoe rollover. Installed an AA Adapter and painted it.
1995 NV4500 b web.jpg
PB270002 cut shaft web.jpg
PC100004 4500 painted no bh web.jpg

More catch up

Removed old bell housing pins to install offset pins.

Installed new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Checked and centered Bell Housing.
PC140002 bell housing pins.jpg
PC170001 flywheel and clutch.jpg
PC170006 Bellhousing install.jpg

Catch up

Install NV4500 Transmission

Finished my Orion and installed it
PC310038 install Transmission.jpg
P2050048 install orion.jpg
Xfer case Bolted up web.jpg

Still catching up

Rebuilt the front axle. New bearings, old gears, new ARB.

Made my own knuckle centering tool to complete the job.

Added GM Rotors and Brakes
DSCN0091 arb w old gears.jpg
DSCN0461 Front rebuild and ARB.jpg
DSCN0482 Front Disks.jpg

Subscribed, this is going to be a beast.

Looking great! Keep up the good work!

holy smokes that looks clean, well done sir!

More catch up

Thanks for all the good feedback. Would have liked to keep you updated as I was doing it.

This is the rear axle. When taking it apart I found that the PO had not staked the pinion nut. It also had a crush sleeve installed. Found small tooth chips in the bottom of the housing. So I replace the R&P with a Nitro with solid spacer.

I couldn't picture what was good and bad in the pattern (first time doing this) so I used a .020 and a .010 to see what the two ends of the adjustment looked like. I could see the flat and curve in the pattern. Then split the difference with the .014 and could still see a little flat in the pattern. Looked like I needed a little more. So I settled on .017.

Installed a Spartan Locker. Was going to use a Lock Right but they didn't have any at the time. Don't know if one is better than the other.

Installed the disks and brakes.
Rear RP Alignment web.jpg
DSCN0409 Spartan install web.jpg
DSCN0473 brakes in axle done web.jpg

Very nice work! What color and type of paint is that, that your spraing on the motor and other parts? I like the cast iron gray look.

Dupli-Color Cast Iron and Low Gloss Black

Seems to be pretty tough banging around during assembly.
Duplicolor Engine Paint.jpg

Frame Catch up

The PO had hit the right front bumper hard enough to rack the frame 1/2" back on the right side. After calling around and getting crazy quotes to straighten the frame I figured I could do it cheaper. HF hydraulic stuff.

Got it straight and square without much trouble.

Sandblasted it. Then rattle canned it Dark Bronze hammer tone. The hammer tone didn't show up too good. Fine line between hammer effect and runs and I nobody wants the runs.
PA210010 Straighten the Frame web.jpg
DSCN0414 Frame Sand Blast.jpg
DSCN0419 Frame Dark Bronze.jpg

What are you using to support the rear of the transmission/tcase? I see you haven't removed the crossmember (yet)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom