72 FJ40 Chevota Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The black just needs the hardener added, shake and spray. Scary at first but you get over it. The pressure and distance control the texture. If the first coat isn't the right texture then you can change it with the second coat. I didn't cover the bolt holes. It's thick enough that it doesn't fill the holes. You have to really work to get the spray into inside corners.

Edit:'I needed to run a tap with my drill/driver in some of the holes to clean up some paint.'

The tintable needs color added. The color thins it a little so the texture changes. Requires increased distance for a fine texture. First coat close up to fill the inside corners then the second coat further away to adjust the texture. Lots of stuff on Youtube. Once its cured, its hard as a rock.

Last edited:
Is that black star kind of a milky looking product? When you paint it on does it turn rainbow like colors and then dry like a translucent black color? I had a product that I used about twenty years ago on a jeep that I had that worked great. What I described is what it did. I tried to figure out what it was to buy more but could not. My research led me to rust bullet which I purchased and have used. It seems to work very good. It provides a very hard finish.

The black just needs the hardener added, shake and spray. Scary at first but you get over it. The pressure and distance control the texture. If the first coat isn't the right texture then you can change it with the second coat. I didn't cover the bolt holes. It's thick enough that it doesn't fill the holes. You have to really work to get the spray into inside corners.

The tintable needs color added. The color thins it a little so the texture changes. Requires increased distance for a fine texture. First coat close up to fill the inside corners then the second coat further away to adjust the texture. Lots of stuff on Youtube. Once its cured, its hard as a rock.

Thanks for the information. I've seen the you tube stuff. I'm a little apprehensive about be leaving everything I see on the Internet. I can trust your opinion based on your commitment to your posting here. It really looks nice. Does it scratch pretty easy? Did the four bottles cover the inside? I'm not a patient painter so I would be petrified until I got it figured out. Everything I've read has been for the most part positive.

Way more forgiving than regular paint. I'm not a painter either, that's one of the reasons I used it.

Kevin,
The side markers are aftermarket from Spector Off Road. I painted the metal trim matte black.

Do you have any prints/plans drawn up for your custom rear bumper?
This is one of my favs.
I have 3D models and some drawings of my initial design in solidworks. The final build is slightly different. PM me with your preferred file format.

Thanks Mikkelsen

Over the weekend I added the other front fender and hood.
Pass Side Front.jpg

Drvr Side Front.jpg

Also assembled my gauges. (JT Outfitter panel)
Gauge Cluster 1.jpg

Verified they fit. . .
Gauge Cluster 2.jpg

Bolted more stuff on the front. Still wiring the dash.

Drvr Side front w emblems.jpg

That thing is looking great. I like the color scheme. Are you gonna put black rims on it? Your garage looks like a clean room by the way. Bright and clean.

Thanks Baja, Black rims for sure!

Waiting patiently for some new pictures and progress. I really like what you are doing.

Installed new Dash cover. Looks pretty good and well worth the $64
Dash Cover 1.JPG
Dash Cover 2.JPG

Where did you find the dash cover? I just installed my new gauges with the JTO panel..worked great, nice to have functioning gauges again.

Where did you find the dash cover? I just installed my new gauges with the JTO panel..worked great, nice to have functioning gauges again.

CCOT
Eliminate Dash Problems Perfectly !

I also bought the Dash Panels from JTO. The curve on the dash panel doesn't follow the curve of the Gauge Panel or the Glove box door. They drilled mounting holes close to the curved edges so it cannot be reshaped. Pretty disappointed.

I'm still up in the air as far as the OEM Dash switches or panels with toggle switches. When I decided to use stock switches and holes. Wired in the headlight switch and found out its worn out.

Found a way to fit LEDs into the large OEM indicators. They could glue in from behind for the recessed look.
LED Ind 1.JPG
LED Ind 2.JPG

Once the lens is knocked out the hole is enlarged slightly to .5 inches.

Windshield Installed. Tried to install it myself 3 times then took it to a Auto Glass Shop.
New Windshield.JPG

Cleaned the wiper assembly.

Wiper Assy Cleanup.JPG

John,

Have you started your engine yet? Just curious what your exhaust sounds like and if your happy with that muffler...

Looks like your close to the finish line!!!
Keep up the nice work!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom