71 fj40 pictures of stock carburetor and cable bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
C3EFAC17-873A-4CA1-ACC2-94C6FF35A119.jpeg
Please, please, please share a close up of the clamp/bracket that connects the throttle cableks shroud to the carb.

Either there was an extremely drunk guy on the assembly line or my prior owner’s, PO’s, PO’s, PO swapped the stock carburetor for a Rochester GM carb and fabricated a bracket to clamp the throttle shroud/sheath (?) in place. I took this carburetor to National Carburetors and they had three Toyota cores and took mine in exchange! Rebuilding the Rochester would have been $50 less and I’m cheep enough that I almost kept the GM carb.

The Toyota carb has a choke clamp, but not a throttle cable clamp. I’ve found some pictures but the clamp is on the back side of the carburetor on the valve cover side. You’d get a fantastic picture if you were standing behind the dash with the roof off and didn’t have a hood. The best picture I found is attached but you can see the truck had a hood.

I guess I'm missing some photos of your carburetor here ??? Also, I've not seen a 1971 with a power brake booster and tandem master cylinder, nor have a seen a 1971 with a throttle cable coming out the firewall like your later model cable is ??? .

2BE6166E-A9E9-47BE-8D18-4286B72FB194.jpeg
I guess I'm missing some photos of your carburetor here ??? Also, I've not seen a 1971 with a power brake booster and tandem master cylinder, nor have a seen a 1971 with a throttle cable coming out the firewall like your later model cable is ??? .
That’s not my truck. It’s the one that I found with a picture. My carburetor is here. Behind the spring is the choke clamp. But no throttle clamp. BTW I wish that was my truck.

That’s a ‘76 2F carb. They didn’t have a cable to the carb; they had rod linkage.

You will also need a throttle return spring bracket. I posted pics in this thread. New carb - can't get RPMs down from 2500

Also you’ll need an insulator plate with a PCV port
32E13A9C-3527-49A3-926D-4139D175DFC1.jpeg

The guy who identified your new carb as a 76, sells everything you’d need. My understanding is a 76 carb might be the best year for power. I’m sure 65swb45 can help you make that carb work in your 71. He likes to speak with his customers over the phone, Mark’s Off Road land line—>1 (818) 953-9230

You will also need a throttle return spring bracket. I posted pics in this thread. New carb - can't get RPMs down from 2500

Also you’ll need an insulator plate with a PCV port
View attachment 1844060

The guy who identified your new carb as a 76, sells everything you’d need. My understanding is a 76 carb might be the best year for power. I’m sure 65swb45 can help you make that carb work in your 71. He likes to speak with his customers over the phone, Mark’s Off Road land line—>1 (818) 953-9230
Awesome. Thank you.

Here’s a 71ish carb. Note that it will accept a barrel end theottle cable. Also no vacuum pod secondary, 71ish was mechanical secondary.

View attachment 1844046

View attachment 1844047

View attachment 1844045

If you decide to switch to later linkage style, 73fj40 posted some good pics here—>Picture needed of throttle cable routing, Stock '73 FJ40
Perfect thank you for the pictures. Seems like the linkage I have requires the metal rods to even engage the secondary. I’m pretty sure the later linkage is the route I’m gonna go.

If you stick with the 76 and get all the needed conversion parts from Mark’s, make sure you ask him if you’ll need a different gas pedal, choke cable, air cleaner, riser plate, return springs blah blah blah;) You could post some engine bay pics in this thread so Mark can see what you’ve got. He has a sharp eye. If you don’t like messing with points or have wobble in your old distributor shaft, he can hook you up with the newer vacuum advance electronic ignition. You’re old dissy is probably the less desirable 71 OEM retarding type. Spark is key:beer:

Seems like a slippery slope. I think that if I had one from 71 I’d only need an accelerator and choke cable. I picked up the insulator.

1. Insulator for the F or the 2F?

2. The accel pump lift rod on that ‘rebuilt’ carb is fubar, and the tension spring won’t even drive the pump properly. IOW, it’s going to have the flat spot from hell.

3. Was your air cleaner hacked to fit the aftermarket carb?

I am doing the same rochester to stock carb conversion that you are on my '72. I found a stock carb from a Ih8mud member, and got a rebuild kit from NAPA. Here are photos I got when doing the research:

2018-10-20 11.39.17.jpg

2018-10-20 11.39.32.jpg

2018-10-20 11.59.56.jpg

Okay. Here’s what I’ve got. You can see my throttle and choke cables, or what’s left of them. I’m definitely needing to replace both no matter what the option but I’m wondering if I sell this one and get the right year if I’d need anything else.

DF581CF4-A8BC-4006-A9BF-41E2375D3933.jpeg

0804E813-2DD0-4D4D-91C5-2FAB9B690A5B.jpeg

24CA887D-6E79-45F4-A75D-16B48EABD747.jpeg

1376182E-13DC-4365-A02F-608F90E85984.jpeg

50BEA2A1-86A8-4596-90BF-EDBCDF649687.jpeg

Remember if you use that carb, you need to remove the cotter pin on the accerator pump rod. Remove keyed rod end from butterfly shaft side of carb. Reinstall rod opposite to how they have it now.

That carb looks nice.

Very nice example - What year is it?

Remember if you use that carb, you need to remove the cotter pin on the accerator pump rod. Remove keyed rod end from butterfly shaft side of carb. Reinstall rod opposite to how they have it now.

Which just begs the question: if they didn't know that, what else didn't they know?:eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom