Picture needed of throttle cable routing, Stock '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73FJ40

After another night of rust removal!
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm reassembling the throttle linkage on my stock Aisin Carb, with the bellcrank assembly and cable linkage.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Anyone have some pictures to share?

Thanks!

I can get you pic tomorrow; however, mine setup is not stock, but should be what you are after. I'm running a '87 2F and Aisin carb but in a '70. I am running a bell crank and cable linkage because im also using a 2F air cleaner.

I have a 71 that uses the cable directly from pedal and has the barrel that hooks into the bell crank. If I understand correctly, that is what you are converting back to. If so I can get some photo’s:hillbilly:

I can get you pic tomorrow; however, mine setup is not stock, but should be what you are after. I'm running a '87 2F and Aisin carb but in a '70. I am running a bell crank and cable linkage because im also using a 2F air cleaner.

I have a 71 that uses the cable directly from pedal and has the barrel that hooks into the bell crank. If I understand correctly, that is what you are converting back to. If so I can get some photo’s:hillbilly:

Thanks guys! The stock cable does a loop-de-loop, but I don't remember how it's routed and I don't want to kink it.

I didn’t know about the loop-de-loop. I’ll be curious if there’s a better way.
D2A13F60-F133-4989-A72B-6AB405442E49.jpeg

Hmm, I see where the question has been asked but the photo’s are gone. I don’t think my cable is long enough to loop. Pretty sure I got it from @65swb45. I read some old threads that 73 cables approached carb from the fender side. Does yours not enter like my 71 from the engine side?

Thanks guys! The stock cable does a loop-de-loop, but I don't remember how it's routed and I don't want to kink it.

I shortened my cable so it is a straight (as possible) shot from where it exits the firewall to the carb. No loops. This is likely not what your approach will be but I will get pics regardless!

@thebigredrocker if that pic is your truck then I don't think you are running a bell crank on your carb. The bell crank attaches to the two intake studs closest to the fender.

Not the best pic but you can see part of the bell crank gadget here. Look for the shiny silver spring!

image.jpeg

@S4Cruiser @thebigredrocker :

So I took some pictures today of what I have, in order to avoid 'speculation' on alternative arrangements. It's an OEM cable, and it's the same length as the one I removed.

It shows the loop, I just don't remember where it should be placed. Right now it's too close to the valve cover.

7lm6gtKqpPubdKuAtuLX9_VUuCDSQpnvP6RiGywu6PQn-kezR_Jzst59OiLXbHkByMDR96-qPJd1bP6D3YqMxmJryeFW6xdED2x64AOsfToQRFgVRCBjM2wUWksk8mvtw2_7zYmUNNi4Z4e8461zyBCJ40aonC6zAp8Pm4i5fjR3AYRgsf7i9dU5f70f2b2tAvNfNIRLqSTmsRWAHLO69RseBvY7xGTjQUm-kZn-PjGy0-sFxkK6byu5tODuCnCeHT9-hbGeXtkrTvibRMa4SakcpAYOYv_R-pqBrfpNjqfPc0JCskTzgubzWQ3nVVAIk6oI4PSr2ItTdYs1vpVcQccT-S3U8QAKdf1I5kxqvf1XUnR3acWgMPRF-UfM1GQDqYuKwPI2FiQNHvc4Ft9VK1ifxkaCsyGplPkfKMGWuveIn-evT4TveXed5H1exg3nX64tB87_aNvq5CfAFr3m5T8GZOtVLXkMT2qcyrQoU4bNcBPIJjzKT15FbDjKU4c3BwbYkcT8WKd_KAgWlovA86abB5kOVoRabObr-vAN6Y_IApymu5M72NIEWnZHjoIbepuG6vLddoaVl_-NtTyJAZrpf4hpyXqi5wPIjcA3=w872-h1162-no

I5Z00vm8hKD52y8IhRvPR9OOKtwxyNjJCTfPZeAiRcYKCHBkjZuphWb3BgW9dN1n1-4TLKY13VZ4MJG9o4lpkfYnnMoxgA3DnCN2urUCk1oMbm2zQnDUb9nr6Tn-Uyw74X3iI-MJWvYoOuXLR8LHxOpWWUVT7L6lcOErHIWmdiWdy0FD0I7Jn0lCtWYO9cDdozqYlgC-dm2RdhR8GnOOUCBnpbhhQM5oQsuaNbikPvwDAhou8jcpuGbJnkixeXTbJLtoUtl675zPaSLvOC-KrukbkwwBSwJQ_EkBRmBXaEs2Jz1aDW82Ukve4J5vedMg9v--IudY7Uts034LeCfKQZr2mIbJnOum6AtHScC1TW1jw2mK1Ej0vpQSLeLhvo-EybLqpBb9Hse5yY68zzg9jBdiDSLURMEkS4SyULKJUGfcyf6A5eLZFcvYJH_PWox-b19k_VBO4JIgAPcAzqXgcdX6GO7k6A5rcz4ex2acgadmS9e_NWoSeQbnsl3bnVg9JYBkXrFl7r-_o_iXUS7nCtobJxtlA52L-Ssn0URQaup2Q1DDlTP67yZn_5kobFsQPCgBUkKZZFRj-xD6Z_RBwlIv36Pe9_BAxxrglq3D=w872-h1162-no

@thebigredrocker if that pic is your truck then I don't think you are running a bell crank on your carb. The bell crank attaches to the two intake studs closest to the fender.

Not the best pic but you can see part of the bell crank gadget here. Look for the shiny silver spring!

View attachment 1646779

Nice looking engine bay.

Great photo @73FJ40, now I see how that works. I haven’t seen many pictures of your project, your attention to detail is incredible. Is that carb the real McCoy? Looks brand spankin’ new. Japanese vac hose?

These pics won't help you with the stock appropriateness of the loop. Before I shortened my cable the loop was similar to what you posted but it leaned toward the brake booster.

@thebigredrocker
Great photo @73FJ40, now I see how that works. I haven’t seen many pictures of your project, your attention to detail is incredible. Is that carb the real McCoy? Looks brand spankin’ new. Japanese vac hose?

Yep, NOS OEM Toyota, non-USA but the 1973 model. It has the ported vacuum for the vacuum advance distributor as well.

Acquired it back in the 1990's when I was collecting parts for the "eventual" rebuild.

I like that blue. It’s the first color that really caught my eye. Do you have vintage looking tires yet? I like BFG’s on my 71, but boy those Super Traxion’s look cool though.

I think my loop is running downward, you just loosen the two big nuts rotate it. Up works too. I wish I could remember how it was when it came off 20 years ago, but I don't even know then if my dad had altered it prior, wish I knew what Toyota intended.

@thebigredrocker

I like that blue. It’s the first color that really caught my eye. Do you have vintage looking tires yet? I like BFG’s on my 71, but boy those Super Traxion’s look cool though.

It's the equivalent of Capri Blue, in a 'modern' paint formulation. The original was Horizon(tal) blue, but the modern formula wasn't available.

Haven't picked out tires yet, still on some scrap ones that hold air. No power steering, and stock springs, so I'll be looking for something 'tall and skinny'. Which BFG's (mdid you pick?

I agree the STA Super Traxion's have the look, but I'm not sure about 8-ply bias belted tires....:hmm:

I bought the KO2’s. Went with the smaller 30” x 9.5”. No plans to add lift springs and don’t care for the fender wells to look stuffed with tires. I did add 65swb45’s long shackles to the front, need to add them to the rear this summer.
21E22E44-3ECD-4D8B-A5A6-72D39154824B.jpeg

1193F201-81BD-42CC-9AB1-59648ABDC318.jpeg

I ran a ‘73 on my ‘68 for several years. Cable looped. No biggie. Never an issue.

Here's a picture of my dads '73. I do remember always looped upwards but don't know if he ever adjusted towards the valve cover or brake booster.

IMG_0170.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom