71 fj40 hazards and signals: why mine didn't work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am new here. First post.

Signals and hazard lights on my 1971 fj40 stopped working both at the same time. Turned out to be 2 seperate problems simultaneously. Figured I would post this up just in case it could help somebody else out and save some time.
My wiring appears to be stock and complete other than under the hood which is now 24V for the 2H diesel swap which I then ran a 24v to 12v converter to my 71 fuse panel.

#1 hazard lights
This turned out to be a connection on the hazard switch that let loose from the solder on the bottom....this was not visibly apparent until I took the hazard switchout of the dash. It was the Green-red wire that let loose.
1453066417881.jpg

In addition to re-soldering the wire back onto its contact point I also pried opem the 4 metal tabs and opened up the switch to clean the contacts since I was thay far anyway.
Also to note: there is a hidden fuse for the power to the hazard switch way up under the dash, mine was tightly tucked conveniently behind the harness bundle.
I had an easier time accessing this through the air vent in front of the windshield, rather than cramming myself under the dash to try to reach it.

#2 The signals still didn't work after i fixed the hazard switch. This turned out to be bad contact in the fuse block. Even though everything looked clean enough there was just enough oxidation on things to disable the signal circuit. So make sure to clean up the fuse and wire contact areas and it might save some unnecessary wire chasing.

Anyway, hopefully this helps somebody. If nothing else I gained a bit of knowledge on the subject.

Yup, that fuse is a bugger to get to from under the dash, almost impossible. Pretty easy going through the vent. I was told on here where to find it, but I could not even see mine on the 68 from under the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom