'63 FST gets roll cage keeping stock seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
nothing hardcore, just some added protection for a "beach cruiser"

I turned this project over to a friend of mine with the premise of retaining factory seating, comfort and ease getting in/out of truck and creating some protection for the family.

we opted for some 1 1/2" x .250" tubing. all of the mounting areas have 1/4" plates scabed to the tub. the mid section plates are tapped, the rear plates are drilled through with a one piece underneath plate coordinating with a body/frame mount.

I'm very happy with the end result

I'm thinking the cage will be getting painted body color as will the soft top frame
'63 roll cage 001.jpg
'63 roll cage 002.jpg
'63 roll cage 003.jpg

Wow, very nice work!! And yes on it being body color.

I'm no cage builder, but couldn't that cross member behind the front seats be higher, and be used as an anchor for front shoulder belts?

Oh, and should there be a diagonal at either the A or rear corner, on the rear sides?

I'm no cage builder, but couldn't that cross member behind the front seats be higher, and be used as an anchor for front shoulder belts?

Oh, and should there be a diagonal at either the A or rear corner, on the rear sides?

yes actually, I'm pretty sure the horizontal is high enough to support a 5point. who needs collar bones:D

yes
yes and yes ;)

the cage in my opinion was over built for my intent. I was asked if I wanted to add a horizontal across the dash or a horizontal across the rear, and it's not something I felt was necessary.

it will offer way more protection than the factory cage:meh:

Last edited:
That's awsome! I actually had to sell my cage because of the limited foot room. I had bad knees and found it very painful to get into the rig. I've since got new knees and now looking at how your front bar attaches. Hmm?:hmm:

Nice! Clean install and some good looking welds

yes actually, I'm pretty sure the horizontal is high enough to support a 5point. who needs collar bones:D

yes
yes and yes ;)

the cage in my opinion was over built for my intent. I was asked if I wanted to add a horizontal across the dash or a horizontal across the rear, and it's not something I felt was necessary.

it will offer way more protection than the factory cage:meh:

I think it looks great, but had to ask...just used to seeing cages with tons of diagonal and "X" bracing in them...but then again, they are intended for some pretty heavy duty :beer:

That's the tits man! I can not tell you how many hours I spent studying my 64 FST looking for a cage solution. Getting an even B-pillar while still clearing the seats with the lower transverse is trick. Great job and original A-Pillar solution as well.

Sometimes I think we get "blindered" by things we have seen in the past. I am often amazed by what a fresh set of eyes can see without any preconceptions of past builds.

I think it looks great, but had to ask...just used to seeing cages with tons of diagonal and "X" bracing in them...but then again, they are intended for some pretty heavy duty :beer:

He is using 0.250 wall tubing. That's pretty heavy duty for beach cruising.

He is using 0.250 wall tubing. That's pretty heavy duty for beach cruising.

Yeah, it is. My friend that bent up the cage for me builds high end sand rails and buggies that run in the Baja's so the tubing is what he had. All the tubing and assembly for $500 leaves me with zero room for complaints

A bargain at twice that price. Some great ideas there for sure. Did he come up with them or did you?

A bargain at twice that price. Some great ideas there for sure. Did he come up with them or did you?

I asked him to incorporate the front hoop into the dash somehow but that was about it. having seen a lot of my friends work, it was not a hard decision to leave the project entirely up to him.

I'd like to take credit for the ideas, but none of them were mine:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom