Builds 6.2 going into my 62!! With TT coil conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I scored mounts from TLC that utilize the GM isolator. The mounts were very reasonably priced. At one time they were developing a kit to adapt a LS into a 60 chasis which included the engine mounts, cross member, etc. Not sure if they are still supporting this project but might be worth contacting them.

-Ed

you mentioned getting the mounts from TLC. I am not familiar with all the Land Cruiser vendors. TLC = TLC ??

Wow, wish I had more progress to report. Work got in the way and had other projects take my time.
Got Rad and condenser out. Next start to disconnect everything keeping the body from lifting off.

Got aluminum radiator and near new 31s and black alloy rims in for sale section.

BCA5932F-F17E-4505-9311-DD414D0D6982.jpeg

Why are you taking the body off? Do you want this to take two years instead of four months? Because that’s how you make an engine swap take two years.

I bought this for the body and dash basically cuz I’m gonna do new interior and carpet. Originally from CO and there is some rust on frame that I can’t ignore. Gonna have it dipped and eCoated to last my lifetime and I can sleep at night. I gotta lift so also thinking it will be easier to swap engine with body off.
Hoping progress will pickup as I have more free time but then again hunting season is approaching

I gotta lift so also thinking it will be easier to swap engine with body off.
This is a misconception. You're going to have to have the body on and off several times to check clearance around the firewall and transmission tunnel if you do it this way. Just leave the body on it, get your engine and transmission in and worry about the "frame rust" later. From the one pic you have of your rig the frame looks fine.

Yes leave the body on mock up everything then pull the body i am just about finished doing a frame off lsswap and have rebuild or replaced everything basically a restoration except for body work has taken me a year with some delays don't have a huge shop or a lift.

Thanks for all the great input, keep it coming!

My goal with this project is to have a new modern 62 which will include:
New engine/tranny
New OME lift
New tires/wheels
4X4Labs rear bumper
ARB Front with winch
Trail Taylor sliders
Speedhut gages
Apple CarPlay and new speakers
JW speaker headlights
Leather seat covers and heated seats
Carpet
Cruise control
Plus a few other odds and ends.

I have already bought everything above except 2 more things in process.

Can’t see doing all this without starting with a freshly dipped frame. Besides, putting body back on to check clearances will be as easy as pulling 2 levers. 😀

Keep the feedback coming!!

You should do the engine swap first. You are most likely going to have bugs to work out in the first 500 miles or so. You can bolt on bumpers, stereo, lift kit later. If you stay focused on one project at a time you will get everything done a lot faster. If you try to do it all at once you will constantly be getting distracted and it will take forever.
I have seen it happen dozens and dozens of times. Myself included.

Or just take the body on and off a half dozen times and get pissed every time it doesn't line up just right, unbolt everything to blast it and have to bolt it all back on to do your powertrain placement, and take it all back apart again to paint, etc.

I would agree with Matt.
Do the engine first then if all good you can pull it then the body and blast and seal the frame.
I would not do anything to the frame until done with the engine.

You still have to deal with cross members, mounts, holes in the firewall etc.
I plan to clean and paint the inner wheel wells and firewall on mine, but not until I have the final mounting done on the engine.....hate to scratch it up after all that work.

Awesome to see some progression on your swap. Would like to do a swap myself - we will see, probably won't be for a year or two. Great seeing what it takes from fellow Mudders like yourself and @cruisermatt !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom