(5 minute) 7 pin mod also OD in Low mod in 5 minutes. 80 series fzj80 Lx450

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Hello all... @Shoredreamer showed me this mod back in 2018 & now I wanted to share it with you.

I haven't seen this in any other threads so I thought to put it here.

The black wire with a blue stripe is the famous 7 pin mod wire. It is normally moddded on the left driver side floorboard panel, but the way I did it was by removing a connecter from the top of the transfer case. The yellow wire removed allows the transmission to go into OD overdrive while in Low.

Screenshot_20190713-200047.png

The connecter to remove is the #1 circled connecter.

20190713_184820.jpg

This diagram is for the smart folks to read.
Screenshot_20190713-200409.png

(My rig is a 1997 Lx450) = 95-97
93-94 might be a little different.

If you have not done a CDL switch mod you have to do this 1st before the 7 pin mod otherwise you wont be able to lock your center diff.
I did this vid back in 2015
(Best to watch at 1.25x speed)

Happy Trails to you....​

Last edited:
Website
www.tralaz.org
The earlier models have OD in low 'from the factory'.

This was Tools R Us's preferred method way back in '06 or so, but that info may have gotten lost in the archives.

@GW Nugget i was told of this mod as the pin 7 pro mod haha. Still have the bookmark link in one of the Pin 7 threads on here. Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line - http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/centre_diff.html I like this method cuz it’s reversible easily and the shift points in Low range locked and unlocked are much more enjoyable doing this mod vs doing the standard pin 7 at the kick panel, which retains that annoying super late shifting jerky 1st-2nd shift. This is especially true with 90-94 who don’t have 2nd gear start.

this one is new to me

i have a CDL switch but never got to the pin 7 mod. tell me why i want to do it this way, vs in the footwell? other than this is easier than wedging myself back into the footwell area

is the only change to the ECM getting a +12V signal on pin 9 the change to the shift points? i do have the 2nd start button.

GW Nugget

GOLD Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm un aware of the pin 9 & the about shifting points. comments that @Shoredreamer mentioned.
I'm still learning... I myself am curious if the PWR but is effected also with shift points.

Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
You're simply unplugging the low range position switch on the transfer case.
This was common on the FJ80 as they had the CDL dash switch and the transmission was not electronically controlled. It was a non-invasive way of getting manual control of the CDL in both low and high range.
On later FZJ80s the transmission shift points change when in low range, so it is somewhat beneficial to do the PIN 7 mod.
And if you're going into OD in low range, you really should be in high range.

Website
www.tralaz.org
...if you're going into OD in low range, you really should be in high range.
That depends on your tire size and/or gearing. With my setup my top cruising speed in low range is 30mph at 3000 rpm. In 3rd I'd be limited to around 25. The 5mph makes the difference between too slow and acceptable on dirt roads, without OD I'd be shifting in and out of high range all the time, which is annoying and gives less speed control. To each his own.

GW Nugget

GOLD Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
All good stuff guys, thanks.
Im running 4:88 minus 10% UD in High Tcase gear set so that comes to 5:36 so I like the little extra speed the OD gives like Spike wrote just above.

Last edited:

ChaseTruck

--
SILVER Star
I should add that both trucks also have the 3:1 low range t'case gears, so having O/D in low is a good thing.

I have a 93 with stock gearing and 285 tires, and I added the OEM CDL button. Based on this thread, it sounds like it would be better off doing the "T-case disconnect mod" rather than "7 pin mod"-- with the only down side to the T-disconnect mod that I may lose the special low range shift points that later 80's have (assuming this is even true for 93). If I want to turn off the OD I can use the OD switch.

Sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom