Events/Trails 4th Annual 200LCDC Event (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran solo last year, as the Mrs doesn’t like heights. You’ll be fine.

I appreciate the advise, I'm going to wait and wear down my current tires and buying new tires right before the trip. I may also end up riding solo for this trip, I hope not having a spotter wont be an issue.

I haven't wheeled extensively in the San Juans but I've been on many of the northern Front Range trails and the biggest thing coming form NC was getting used to the extensive and extreme elevation changes. Sure, I'd been off camber many times before, but the degree of pitch was something new (I sold one of my XJs largely due to the fact I hated backing down hills, the brakes sucked). The most challenging part of most of these trails is mental. They have the potential to be extremely exposed so if you're uncomfortable with heights, you'll be fighting yourself more than the vehicle. That said, you'll feel infinitely more comfortable on the trail if you know the dimensions of your LC and how to place it into and out of tight spots (granted locked center diff and on rocks ain't the same as maneuvering around the grocery parking lot).

So the thing you need other than tires is simply deep breaths. Your vehicle will be more than capable and you'll have many experienced individuals to support you.

Latest update:

Slee Off Road will be leading a trail run on Thursday for those who want to learn the basics of off roading and understanding the capabilities of your 200. This will include how to use a winch, hi lift and other useful tips.

The trail will be easy but will allow you get comfortable for tackling more difficult trails the rest of the week. Slee will offer a similar review another morning for the more seasoned drivers as well before we hit the trails.

As always Slee will help guide a group or 2 through Black Bear.

We are officially on Instagram! 200LCDC #200LCDC

bout time buddy

Slee Off Road will be leading a trail run on Thursday for those who want to learn the basics of off roading and understanding the capabilities of your 200. This will include how to use a winch, hi lift and other useful tips.

I won't be there until Thursday evening, but it would be great if someone (Slee or otherwise) would do a training session on winching and recovery techniques for those of us who have only dealt with the absolute basics so far.

Or maybe I just need to get myself stuck somewhere while with the group on Friday :)

I won't be there until Thursday evening, but it would be great if someone (Slee or otherwise) would do a training session on winching and recovery techniques for those of us who have only dealt with the absolute basics so far.

Or maybe I just need to get myself stuck somewhere while with the group on Friday :)
Slee will do another one Friday morning but at a meeting place vs on trail. Thursday is more geared for newcomers who want a better understanding of their rigs and general off roading.

I wouldnt really suggest last dollar road. Its beautiful, but its high traffic and isnt offroading per se. Its more just a dirt road that winds through a pretty area to people ranches outside of telluride.

Alta ghost town is cool, but a few spots get crazy icy and it is also not really an offroading type of scenario, albeit more so than Last Dollar.

Ophir is awesome, Engineer Pass and others right around there are good too. Anyone up for Poughkeepsie?

I wouldnt really suggest last dollar road. Its beautiful, but its high traffic and isnt offroading per se. Its more just a dirt road that winds through a pretty area to people ranches outside of telluride.

Alta ghost town is cool, but a few spots get crazy icy and it is also not really an offroading type of scenario, albeit more so than Last Dollar.

Ophir is awesome, Engineer Pass and others right around there are good too. Anyone up for Poughkeepsie?
On the sign up sheet you can see the list of trails we’ll be doing with ratings and suggested mods.

Also I think Slee’s trail run on Thursday will be last dollar road or similar.

On the sign up sheet you can see the list of trails we’ll be doing with ratings and suggested mods.

Also I think Slee’s trail run on Thursday will be last dollar road or similar.
yeah, saw that- was just more for general knowledge of the area for those who havent done it. There can be a lot of mud/wash out on Last Dollar if heavy rains come through making it almost impassible at points.

yeah, saw that- was just more for general knowledge of the area for those who havent done it. There can be a lot of mud/wash out on Last Dollar if heavy rains come through making it almost impassible at points.
Perfect scenario if they want to do a winch demo! Lol

It would be great if someone who knows the trials could post some photography notes in the Google doc as to which ones are the most scenic. ;)

I'll be bringing stickers to hand out for the event but haven't finished the artwork yet. What would you like to see as the focus of the sticker?

How about focus on a knobby tire? -Maybe with it's tread pattern disappearing into vague mountain shapes?

I still like my suggested motto from a year or so ago, "Land Cruiser: Because Paradise Ain't Paved" :hillbilly:
-But that seems more like a T-shirt than a sticker. I dunno.

Last year's was very cool. Could do a variation on that one.

Would very happily pay for a velcro patch again too. You do truly excellent work!

Last edited:
I have decided that camping 30 minutes away is going to suck so I am going to look for a place in town. All the close by or in town places are first come and I dont want to haul my camper out to be SOL. Figured, part of the event is hanging out with folks. I have only had lunch in Telluride before driving back over Imogene so this should be fun.

I have decided that camping 30 minutes away is going to suck so I am going to look for a place in town. All the close by or in town places are first come and I dont want to haul my camper out to be SOL. Figured, part of the event is hanging out with folks. I have only had lunch in Telluride before driving back over Imogene so this should be fun.

We gave up on Telluride lodging and are staying in Placerville, which is a 20 minute drive according to Google...

Pretty sure most days will be pretty full of trails, so lots of hang out time on the trail for lunches, & some dinners before heading to hotel for the night...

really looking forward to spending time in Telluride. Lodging is much easier for choices in Ouray for other years. I typically bring my camper and stay in Ouray when I go to this part of the state. Again really looking forward to staying in/near Telluride as I havent done that and it looks like a cool town.

really looking forward to spending time in Telluride. Lodging is much easier for choices in Ouray for other years. I typically bring my camper and stay in Ouray when I go to this part of the state. Again really looking forward to staying in/near Telluride as I havent done that and it looks like a cool town.

Definitely a cool little "strip" in Telluride. Didn't get to spend time there last time as we hit the trail again right after lunch to take a new route to Ouray. Looking forward to time in Telluride for sure... Glad you're gonna make it, Romer!

As an added bonus, we are meeting other family members for a full week in Breckenridge right after Telluride. Wooo!

Last edited:
Extra wheeling post-Telluride?

-If anyone in the Colorado area (or anyone hanging around after LCDC) wants to do a few trails in Breckenridge any time during the week after Telluride... I'll be there with family all week doing trail runs. Always great to have trail partners. :steer: :steer: :steer: :steer:

If you're up for it (happy to do anything from easy to tricky)... let me know and I'll PM my cell phone #.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom