40 series general tech and classifieds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you bust that out? lol

It came like that, the window is still solid, just has some cracks in it. Ill try and grab a photo tonight. Looks like it might have cracked in storage because it didnt shatter or anything.

Last edited:
So my ceramic coat is all crumbly.

1C4DF0FC-C5D4-4827-99BE-A326A40EDCA3.jpeg

Mine did the same. $200 down the tube.

Theyre going to recoat them in a more durable finish for me and pay for removal and replacing. I guess we will see.

Going to take this time to timesert the sketchy somewhat stripped head bolts. Going to go with this kit,

www.amazon.com/dp/B07VN67D4H/ref=sr_1_1?m=A2N5EWWITZXTMB

Anoyone know if this is the correct size for the exhaust threads? I believe they are M12 x 1.25

and Ill need to order another remflex gasket. Might just take them the bill for the timeserts and the gasket and call it a day.

I would try just running a tap in there versus putting an insert. Those things are hard to get right.

The outside ones are smaller. M8 or 10.

Since they only need 23# it does not take much.

I would try just running a tap in there versus putting an insert. Those things are hard to get right.

The outside ones are smaller. M8 or 10.

Since they only need 23# it does not take much.

Its looking like the outer threads are toast on them, but there are a few inner threads left. I kind of just used longer bolts when I installed it last and they kind of bit, the original bolts just spun

Might just take them the bill for the timeserts and the gasket and call it a day.

Try to get reimbursed for the shop rate for the header removal and re-install while you’re at it. Make sure to livestream so we share in the fun.

When I was building one off hot rods I would use the folks at Jet-Hot. Definitely $$$$ but even after 10+ years no cracking or peeling.

Cerakote is also a good product and can be applied by most do it yourselfers as long as you have access to an automotive spray gun.

But on a serious note, what is different about the good coating, and what does it cost?

Its silver... and is supposedly stronger. I read that jet hots black coating was their most durable, so thats why I went with black in the first place.

Ricks said they would reimburse me for the shop removal and replace of the header... I'm not sure how much that would be. But a timesert kit is $100, a 90* drill attachment is $40, and a new gasket is $35. So im at $175 right there hah

@FJ60Cam can you write me up an invoice? ha

When I was building one off hot rods I would use the folks at Jet-Hot. Definitely $$$$ but even after 10+ years no cracking or peeling.

Cerakote is also a good product and can be applied by most do it yourselfers as long as you have access to an automotive spray gun.

I almost sent it out to jet hot, they wanted $280 plus shipping both ways for the header. Went to a local shop and they only charged $200, I guess we will see how the silver coat turns out.

You get what you pay for...

I don’t know why they owe you for a timesert kit, but I’m impressed they’ll pay for shop labor. At this point they’d be paying out more than they charged you.

I didn’t realize yours was done in black, I thought it was silver. Curious to see how the silver holds up.

I could be wrong but it looks like the ceramic coating was applied over some sort of primer. Appears primer could not hold up to the heat and cause the coating to flake.

I don’t know why they owe you for a timesert kit, but I’m impressed they’ll pay for shop labor. At this point they’d be paying out more than they charged you.

I didn’t realize yours was done in black, I thought it was silver. Curious to see how the silver holds up.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a shop labor quote, and taking 50% of that and asking for that to be honest, or just half or the original price

I could be wrong but it looks like the ceramic coating was applied over some sort of primer. Appears primer could not hold up to the heat and cause the coating to flake.

I cant tell if whats under the flaking black is grey or the steel. The black definitely didnt take to whatever it was coated to. I drive the 40 just about every day, but 2 weeks is a little soon for it to fail. Especially since it never gets above 3,200 rpm

Cruiser Karma tells me that you send them a bill for parts and just do it. Like Cam said, they are losing their ass on this deal.

Yeah to be honest, I was probably just going to ask for half of what I paid back. Not looking to make a buck off of this, just want to not ever take off my header again, unless its for a cop motor ha

A good ceramic coat should last a long time. I had my MAF ceramic headers for 7 or 8 years before I sold them, and they didn’t rust or peel, the silver just dulled to a matte finish.

Man, I was really hoping for a good local ceramic connection.

A good ceramic coat should last a long time. I had my MAF ceramic headers for 7 or 8 years before I sold them, and they didn’t rust or peel, the silver just dulled to a matte finish.

Man, I was really hoping for a good local ceramic connection.

Well im planning on getting the header off tonight after work, and getting it to them tomorrow. They said they could have it back to me in 2 days. I leave for Oregon this weekend, so wont be able to install it back until I get back. Maybe the black coat is just not very strong or durable, and their silver is the stronger spray? Ill be sure to keep you updated. I have used Ricks for powder coating stuff before and their powder coat is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom