40 series general tech and classifieds (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Random Question pertaining to a 40 I may have bought but not yet taken delivery of...

Are 1970 body parts interchangeable with a 1978? Primarily front fenders, hard top and full doors?

More to follow, thanks in advance. :smokin:

FJ40 Land Cruiser

1977 FJ40: Metal Tech cage and front bumper...may be a good parts pile: $1600

I watched that rig a few months back on an estate sale auction site. Lots of good parts, but needs a lot of work.

Well, we are finally respectable land cruiser folks. Took delivery today of this fine specimen.
0317181640.jpg

1978 FJ40, stock 2F, 4spd, AA Rock Box mated to the stock case. Detroit rear, ARB front, longs, discs on all 4 corners, 36" swampers, warren 9500 wench. Jim C de smog and came with a Jim C carb that needs to be sent off for a Jim C rebuild. Everything seems to work. Its a 15' truck and needs a little love, but is solid and works.

Short term plans include a bench and belts for the rear for the half-pint and thats about it.

0317181701a.jpg

0317181701.jpg

Long term: still taking stock, but if half pint is going to ride much, then a MT full cage and new front seat will probably be pretty high on the list.

Ok, so first order of business is to try and get some serious death wobble under control (right around 30 mph, seems to plane out above that). I know it can be due to a number of factors, but the truck doesn't have a stabilizer on it currently. I was thinking that would be a good place to start and also try swapping the tires around or even swap on a different set that i have around to try and start ruling things out.

So was curious, the truck has a saginaw conversion on it, is there any particular type of stabilizer or mount that works best with that setup?

Thanks

Mine was due to unbalanced tires...result of bent steel wheels.

Tried a bunch of stuff...went away when I replaced the wheels with striaght(er) one’s.

Agreed, but it will help manage the bleeding in the interim. Swampers aren't known for their road manners so I will see what a tire swap does. Knuckle rebuild will come next, then linkage and ends.

Thanks

Agreed, but it will help manage the bleeding in the interim. Swampers aren't known for their road manners so I will see what a tire swap does. Knuckle rebuild will come next, then linkage and ends.

Thanks
And make it harder to find the real problem. Add the stabilizer last. Start with that Saganaw box. It might just need the slack adjusted out of it. Then tires, tie Rod ends, bearings, etc.

And make it harder to find the real problem. Add the stabilizer last. Start with that Saganaw box. It might just need the slack adjusted out of it. Then tires, tie Rod ends, bearings, etc.

I wondered about that. I have noticed that it has that "old ford" feel when driving it. Seems like it needs a good bit of input to start to move. I will do some reading up on how to adjust it. Then tires and go from there.

Thanks

Half-pint is gonna have the best seat in the house...

195661.jpg

Should be here in a few weeks.

death wobble should be tie rod ends or the csator shims maybe broke, at least that was the main problems on mine.

Well, we are finally respectable land cruiser folks. Took delivery today of this fine specimen.
View attachment 1656226

1978 FJ40, stock 2F, 4spd, AA Rock Box mated to the stock case. Detroit rear, ARB front, longs, discs on all 4 corners, 36" swampers, warren 9500 wench. Jim C de smog and came with a Jim C carb that needs to be sent off for a Jim C rebuild. Everything seems to work. Its a 15' truck and needs a little love, but is solid and works.

Short term plans include a bench and belts for the rear for the half-pint and thats about it.

View attachment 1656227

View attachment 1656229

Long term: still taking stock, but if half pint is going to ride much, then a MT full cage and new front seat will probably be pretty high on the list.

Whoa! Congrats dude!

Also something easy to check on the wobble is your toe in, I’ve had it pretty bad on a rig with heavy 43,s on it and fixed it with a toe in adjustment

Stopped Mosely Motors (formerly Three 6 Hybrids) today to pick up some parts coming off the 40 and drop off a few parts I forgot previously.

What started as a simple disc brake conversion, AFI install, and fix a few oil leaks has now turned into replacing and/or repairing everything bolted to the engine. Aside from the few text messages, This is the first time I’ve seen it since I dropped it off with @FJ60Cam.

We still aren’t sure what compilation of F engine this is since it’s a early ‘80s long block mated to an unknown year remained head.

C5EE1D5C-53E4-4B3A-BCC5-A5EDC63ADDE8.jpeg
0EDE5CF3-BA97-480B-BCC4-911D2822872A.jpeg

After several trys, I found that Erin's old GX wheels cleared. Wheels off the white 80 are 17s and would fit, but the 15s off the 40 wouldn't fit back on the 80. Brown 80 wheels are 16 and the swampers fit, but the 16s wouldnt clear the TRE on the 40, so the GX wheels are on the 40 and the swampers are on the brown 80.... It was a helluva morning around here.

Bling bling baby

0324181211.jpg

Took it for a spin and got up into the mid 40s. Still a little shimmy, but not as bad. Also did a crude toe check and it is toe'd in about a 1/4". I also think the knuckle bearings could stand to be replaced. All total I think it is a little bit of all of the above topped off with the swampers being such road friendly tires.

Guess I'm going to start researching some replacement tars and wheels for it. Also think the brown 80 may have found its calling.

0324181155.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom