Builds 4 door FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think my measurements came out to 112"

How wide are the 2nd doors & do they roll all the way down?

I'm planning on 80% of the front door width. Windows should roll down all the way

Subscribed! I have been dreaming of making mine a 4 door and now I am feeling compelled!!!

Great job! I look forward to watching your progress!

Does anyone have the early stay doors they could measure for me. I want to know how wide they are and then how wide they would be if you cut them straight down the inside of the vent window so that I was just a single window skinny door? If anyone could do that for me that would be great!

I know you have been all about your trailer build, but I was wondering about the new frame you got are you ready to start over?

I'm working on stripping it down. Taking off the axles tonight. Then the cab. Nothing really post worthy. Part of the hold up has been that I have been without a trailer to move things around and haul scrap. I got a trailer over the weekend so I can finish scrapping it out.

IMG_20150814_122021547_HDR.jpg
Something that has been a struggle is the scale of the project. It has been overwhelming. And I've been without a 40 series to drive since before this project started. If I waited until it was finished....... I still haven't located a drive train or a roof cap, and there is an enormous amount of fab work to do ......So, I don't really know exactly how far out that would be. I have my 80 series as a daily driver, but we all know that there is nothing like driving a 40 series. So I've secretly been looking for a cheap 40 that would satisfy my cravings while I continue to chip away at the 4 door. Thursday night I found it thanks to a friend spotting it and letting me know. ( I owe him big time) It's a 74', more or less complete with a 76' 2f , shackle reversal/ 4" skyjacker lift sitting on 35's. Pretty straight. Minimal rust. Runs and drives. I really don't need to do much to it. Maybe a trollholl carb and a little exhaust work, but not much.

It's nice to be back in the saddle again.
IMG_20150817_144549.jpg

You said it. I also have a 80 series, but it's nothing close to a 40. Hopefully I'll get a 40 again some day. Maybe after I get the family hooked on wheelin in the cozy Lx450.

IMG_20150818_071134116.jpg
Getting closer to being able to cut the new front frame section.

In my opinion man, I would recommend u not build a 4 door 40. It's just a huge project, and for what? A 80 series basically but has 40 styling. Cool? Ya it would be. But the running 40 u just bought is very cool. 40s are much more rare now, enjoy a pure 40. It's just as cool to have a regular 40 if not cooler than a 4 door.

A 40 is rare? 4 door not cool? What planet are you on?
Umm, I think you don't understand. How is a 40 not rare? I rarely see 40s on the road anymore. 10 years ago I would see usually one on the road 2 or 3 times a week. Now I am doing good to see a 40 on the road once a month. And I drive all over Denver throughout the week. I didnt say a 4 door wouldn't be cool. I simply was trying to advise him to enjoy the rig he has rather than risk getting burned out on a giant project where you just spend tons of money on parts, cut up several cruisers, get burned out, and selling it all for 1/4 of the price you got it for.

Last edited:
Super bump!
This is the best FJ40 4 door thread on the planet. I've searched through thousands of pics to finds 4 door 40s & they usally link back to this thread. I can honestly say this thread has over 90% of the best pics on the web for reference. I just went back through to check if it has this next one I'm going to post. Some very talented person drew this & is exactly like I would build if I ever get to.
Here it is. Enjoy...
2014-09-29-14-17-40.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom