3FE Owners Check-In (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It lived in MD before i got ahold of it. After i low sided my FZ09 and tore my knee all to hell the wife said the bike's gotta go. So i countered her reasoning with more illogical behavior and acquired the 3FE. Did I mention I hate money? True to my luck, my first fill up and the condition of the charcoal canister split the gas tank a the seam. Ordered a used tank, replacement vapor canister, and going to do the fuel pump, sock, fuel filter and any lines that need it while I'm already soaked in gas and throwing money in the hole. Despite that and "the clonk", i really am enjoying it. if nothing else it's been a great conversation piece and won't likely try to kill me like my bike wanted to.

Due to the aforementioned injury, it'll be a bit before i can get some frame/rust body/engine pics; ill try to get some good ones when i do the tank drop. plus the weather here is s**t today. I'll get them up soon enough though.

Man. Thats sounds very painful. But totally logical with the 3FE bike swap. When you do the fuel tank you should start a thread. I havent looked into how to perform that stuff but when I'm done with my front side stuff I'll be headed to the back. Keep 3FE in the title.

Anyone know where I can ge a kick down cable?

Rock Auto but I believe the part is still offered OEM. Hate saying it without verifying it but I could have swore I read that it is available. I could also have swore that I read bad stuff about the AM cable versus the OEM. Im just regurgitating so take it for its worth. Ill post back when I can verify.

speedo cable sketch.png
Where is the guy that designed this? It's the speedo cable on my 91' 80. A few more turns would make it perfect.

Last edited:
Vehicle: 1992 FJ80 with about 225K miles.

Location: Flagstaff, AZ. The truck has also had stints with me in Bluff, UT, and Salida, CO.

IMG_4055.jpg

It's been in my family since new. I bought it from a family member 12 or 13 years ago to keep it around; as you all know, that was the right decision. This is a dedicated travel truck - for long trips in Baja or the interior west, sometimes for weekend camping / photography trips, and occasional access on high-clearance public-lands roads. It's always packed, rigged, and ready to go. It sees about 2.5K miles per year. Not a daily driver and no four wheeling for its own sake.

Over the past three or four years I've begun doing some mid-life preventative (and some forced) maintenance and a few small upgrades: Alternator, starter (twice), brakes, power steering, plugs, wires, distributor, MAF , EGR and vacuum system, PCV valve, valve adjust, filters, belts, fluids, OME heavy duty stock height springs, new shocks, etc.

For upgrades, I added an expedition rack to sleep on, to photograph from, and to carry a sea kayak in Mexico. I also added 33s that smooth out the ride and, alongside the springs, get the truck up off the ground a bit more. I'll be adding a 24 gallon aux tank this spring to ditch the sketchy roof-top gas cans and replacing some tired bushings to tighten up the steering.

Having had this truck in my family for 27 years, I have a keen appreciation for the 3FE 80 series' unique combination of durability, capability, reliability and simplicity. There's nothing else like it. Since I'm the most mechanically challenged person I know, I signed up here to learn what I can about this truck as I intend to keep around for as long is it still goes, which will be a long, long time. I'll gladly share what I can, but lots of folks here obviously know vastly more than I ever will about how these vehicles work.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is anyone smart on fan blower issues? My fan only works in the first and second position, not med or high. I searched and it sounds like the resistor controls 1-2 position, so if those work that's not the problem. The later rigs have an ECU that controls everything, but I looked and ours don't have it, or at least I couldn't find it.

Edit: It was the blower HI relay. It's located in the drivers side kick panel on the top right of relay block 1.
I’m also having this issue but only on high. I replaced the resistor but no such luck. I’m assuming a switch now

I’m also having this issue but only on high. I replaced the resistor but no such luck. I’m assuming a switch now

I wouldn't assume that. There are separate relays for Lo, Lo med and med hi, hi. Relays go bad a lot easier than switches do. As for the location of the other relay, I have no idea. One of the manuals I saw shows it behind the glove box somewhere. 3-FE/early 80 schematics are hard to find.

Hey guys. So i did some wrenching on the cruiser this weekend. Vapor canister replacement and fuel filter, all preps for when my tank comes in. I also replaced the hood supports because they were shot. everything went smooth until i noticed the Tee connection on my EGR valve was cracked all to s**t and completely nonfunctional. After extensive research cheapest options to replace are in the hundreds, so I read up on the "desmog". Right now, until i learn more about my cruiser's operating characteristics, i would only want to do the third section. The EGR removal. My question is, are the three sections in Spook's guide exclusive? or do they assume you have completed the previous two? Also, if anyone knows a thread that helps out with the EGR vacuum hoses, please let me know. Ive done the research for the needed parts, i just want to know what hoses I am blocking off before i do it. thanks.

20180206_171242 (2).jpg

Just do the whole de smog unless you have emissions / inspection. Also there are lots of threads on the topic, with pictures, I don’t think asking in this thread is going to get you more info.

I wouldn't assume that. There are separate relays for Lo, Lo med and med hi, hi. Relays go bad a lot easier than switches do. As for the location of the other relay, I have no idea. One of the manuals I saw shows it behind the glove box somewhere. 3-FE/early 80 schematics are hard to find.
If there are multiple I assume that’s possible but how many relays are there? I replaced one for sure.

If there are multiple I assume that’s possible but how many relays are there? I replaced one for sure.
Two are shown on the schematics I have, but it's for the RHD overseas model so who knows? I'm sure someone has some decent electrical diagrams, however I have never seen them.

Hey guys. So i did some wrenching on the cruiser this weekend. Vapor canister replacement and fuel filter, all preps for when my tank comes in. I also replaced the hood supports because they were shot. everything went smooth until i noticed the Tee connection on my EGR valve was cracked all to s**t and completely nonfunctional. After extensive research cheapest options to replace are in the hundreds, so I read up on the "desmog". Right now, until i learn more about my cruiser's operating characteristics, i would only want to do the third section. The EGR removal. My question is, are the three sections in Spook's guide exclusive? or do they assume you have completed the previous two? Also, if anyone knows a thread that helps out with the EGR vacuum hoses, please let me know. Ive done the research for the needed parts, i just want to know what hoses I am blocking off before i do it. thanks.

View attachment 1628300
"
Hey guys. So i did some wrenching on the cruiser this weekend. Vapor canister replacement and fuel filter, all preps for when my tank comes in. I also replaced the hood supports because they were shot. everything went smooth until i noticed the Tee connection on my EGR valve was cracked all to s**t and completely nonfunctional. After extensive research cheapest options to replace are in the hundreds, so I read up on the "desmog". Right now, until i learn more about my cruiser's operating characteristics, i would only want to do the third section. The EGR removal. My question is, are the three sections in Spook's guide exclusive? or do they assume you have completed the previous two? Also, if anyone knows a thread that helps out with the EGR vacuum hoses, please let me know. Ive done the research for the needed parts, i just want to know what hoses I am blocking off before i do

There's good information in this one: threads/1991-3f-e-de-smog-performed.315482

Noticed my ps pump is leaking slightly by the input shaft. has anyone had one of these fail resulting in more damage to other parts, or does it just slowly die predictably? I put it on hold for next weeks front axle overhaul, calipers, rotors, etc.

don't want the ps pump it to grenade though and ruin my new radiator belts and hoses. Any experience? if so, any good replacements that are not $600?

Noticed my ps pump is leaking slightly by the input shaft. has anyone had one of these fail resulting in more damage to other parts, or does it just slowly die predictably? I put it on hold for next weeks front axle overhaul, calipers, rotors, etc.

don't want the ps pump it to grenade though and ruin my new radiator belts and hoses. Any experience? if so, any good replacements that are not $600?

I had a leaking pump as well. I just rebuilt it with a seal kit. Pretty sure rock auto and the like have them. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Toyota still made them. That pump was the same for a few other models of the same vintage, iirc.

I had a leaking pump as well. I just rebuilt it with a seal kit. Pretty sure rock auto and the like have them. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Toyota still made them. That pump was the same for a few other models of the same vintage, iirc.
Thanks!. I've read here people have done the rebuild, but it might be outside the range of my tools/skill-set/time, and yes T does have them, but 600 clams.

Mine had a wobbly pulley from worn bushings (can't rebuild those) so I ordered a rebuilt one off amazon for $250. It works, sort of. In the morning there is no assist at idle. I have to blip the throttle to get out of the driveway. I paid $150 for them to send a replacement, which they say they will refund when I send the old one back. I'll install it in the morning. Hopefully it functions better!

I had the heat on, full bore, driving at highway (laughable) speed, and I noticed a strong burning smell...turned down the heat a little and it went away. Where would I start looking for where the smell is coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom