3FE Owners Check-In (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My mechanic did a bunch of work on her this week, he tackled the fuel filter by removing a larger section of fuel line where it was not rusted, took the whole big piece out, put it on the bench, more pb blaster and it came right apart, looked worse than it was, happy I could keep it original.

Had my first real experience with lack of power in the 3FE this weekend. I can deal with it being slow around town, but getting over the Rockies with a truck full of camping gear was a real drag. At 10k+ feet, the truck often shifted into 2nd just to go 40 in the right lane. Was happy to get to the other side. I would certainly make the trip again, but this engine at altitude (and uphill) is a real dog. Ouch.

Had my first real experience with lack of power in the 3FE this weekend. I can deal with it being slow around town, but getting over the Rockies with a truck full of camping gear was a real drag. At 10k+ feet, the truck often shifted into 2nd just to go 40 in the right lane. Was happy to get to the other side. I would certainly make the trip again, but this engine at altitude (and uphill) is a real dog. Ouch.
I have not had the pleasure yet of 10k passes. Nothing that big around here. It is good to know though.

That was my first experience with lack of power, going to big bear (6700ft) as I started to climb I was dropping speed quicker than a semi lol. I had a fresh tune up and complete baseline before this trip. Since then I've installed upgraded injectors, advance timing to 12 degrees, removed the cats, added a magnaflow muffler and a snorkel ( which actully helps alot with power). After these mods I'm 15 mph faster up the same climb.

That was my first experience with lack of power, going to big bear (6700ft) as I started to climb I was dropping speed quicker than a semi lol. I had a fresh tune up and complete baseline before this trip. Since then I've installed upgraded injectors, advance timing to 12 degrees, removed the cats, added a magnaflow muffler and a snorkel ( which actully helps alot with power). After these mods I'm 15 mph faster up the same climb.

Can you pass smog without the cats?

Can you pass smog without the cats?

No you cannot. I did not want to buy new cats without know it would make a difference. Now that i know my old cats were part of the problem i will install new cats. I do not think new cats will hurt the power just old partially clogged cats did hurt the power and MPG's.

(Solved) Power Steering Pump.

I have been through all the threads (i think), and been around the web and the FSM. The 3FE OEM PSP is NLA. A rebuild kit only consists of O-rings, a seal, and clips. On mud I learned this PSP has a "journey style" bearing. The re-manufactured ones available have mixed reviews. I think this is because they simply use the rebuild kits (only seals) and it is tough to replace the journey style bearing because it is part of the whole unit.

My PSP has a little play in the shaft, and a slow seepage around the front shaft / housing area. It will probably need to be replaced at some point. Does anyone have a long term solution to this? Is there another type of pump that is available that can be adapted (aftermarket has poor reviews)? Can it be sent it out someplace to do a proper rebuild? I have found nothing. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Disregard:I posted in the bigger 80's tech section and we sorted it out, got over my OCD and found an aftermarket with a lifetime warranty from a helpful member.

Last edited:
Welp found a long lost treasure...1992 with 117k was parked in a field damn near 10 years ago. Started working on getting it running. New battery and fuel pump. Hope to change out the fuel filter this weekend.

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

I have a 91 fj80 and the engine develops a miss around and above 2,000 rpm. Real low power output too. Idles sweet and timing is perfect. Just seems to happen under load. Any of you learned folks have an idea on what it could be?

I'm a diesel guy, never done much with petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom