3FE Owners Check-In (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would like to do my belts next. I have read a couple of threads on it a while back, but always got confused because other members arguing about 3fe variations. If someone has bookmarked a good thread on this for the 3fe in the 91-92s, please share it. Thanks!

The belts are pretty easy and they’re not that expensive for OEM Toyota belts. If your truck still has the original decals under the hood, then there should be a diagram of the belt position as well as a vacuum line diagram. It’s on a sticker on the underside of the hood above the driver-side headlight. Good luck

I did mine a month ago after my AC belt crapped out on me. Had to remove all 3 belts to free the AC belt. Had to loosen the PS pulley and Alt. To get the main belt lose. Good luck

Is anyone smart on fan blower issues? My fan only works in the first and second position, not med or high. I searched and it sounds like the resistor controls 1-2 position, so if those work that's not the problem. The later rigs have an ECU that controls everything, but I looked and ours don't have it, or at least I couldn't find it.

Edit: It was the blower HI relay. It's located in the drivers side kick panel on the top right of relay block 1.

Last edited:
Resurrecting my FJ80 with the 3FE. Does anyone have experience with replacing the fuel filter where the connecting lines are corroded to the point that makes it sketchy to mess with? I'm thinking I might have to do the whole fuel supply system, starting with fuel lines. Searched the site to no avail, any experience is helpful.

Resurrecting my FJ80 with the 3FE. Does anyone have experience with replacing the fuel filter where the connecting lines are corroded to the point that makes it sketchy to mess with? I'm thinking I might have to do the whole fuel supply system, starting with fuel lines. Searched the site to no avail, any experience is helpful.

I haven't messed with mine but you can buy lines and tools to flare the ends and whatnot, you can replace it all or just repair sections that way. If mine were that rusty I'd probably take a shot at DIYing the lines.

I haven't messed with mine but you can buy lines and tools to flare the ends and whatnot, you can replace it all or just repair sections that way. If mine were that rusty I'd probably take a shot at DIYing the lines.
Yep, that's what I expect is going to have to happen. I need to study those line maps, buy a good parts with everything I could possibly need, and do it right. It's a big job for me, might try to convince my mechanic to supervise and let me tackle it at his shop on a slow day or few days.

Anyone know if terrible rust is typically expected inside the tank?

Hey guys and girls. New 80 series 3fe owner here. Traded my motorcycle in after low siding and completely tearing my knee up. Post surgery, wife and i had a coming to jesus meeting and lo-and-behold im now an LC owner. There's some issues but it's not fun if it's easy. Body rust, leaking gas tank, clogged charcoal canister, suspension in need new bushings everywhere, brakes need servicing and im sure im missing something. Even with all that, the 3fe has already won me over, have the 3rd row seats, oem tool kit and a very nice interior. Trans is solid, electrics are good to go and what really matters, I like wrenching on things. This is my first toyota, so i know very little about the brand or even LC's in general. I have a 96 pathfinder so i'm no stranger to fixing japanese 90s suv's. I crossed paths with Trollhole already and looking forward to getting involved with active clubs in and around my area(upstate SC). Take it easy and drop me a line sometime!

Hey guys and girls. New 80 series 3fe owner here. Traded my motorcycle in after low siding and completely tearing my knee up. Post surgery, wife and i had a coming to jesus meeting and lo-and-behold im now an LC owner. There's some issues but it's not fun if it's easy. Body rust, leaking gas tank, clogged charcoal canister, suspension in need new bushings everywhere, brakes need servicing and im sure im missing something. Even with all that, the 3fe has already won me over, have the 3rd row seats, oem tool kit and a very nice interior. Trans is solid, electrics are good to go and what really matters, I like wrenching on things. This is my first toyota, so i know very little about the brand or even LC's in general. I have a 96 pathfinder so i'm no stranger to fixing japanese 90s suv's. I crossed paths with Trollhole already and looking forward to getting involved with active clubs in and around my area(upstate SC). Take it easy and drop me a line sometime!
Welcome!!! Would love to see a pic of your rig!

Welcome!!! Would love to see a pic of your rig!

There she is. In all her glory

20180130_161133.jpg

Cool. Love to see some under hood pics and rust pics. How's the frame? Rust in an SC rig? Glad you like to work on cars. I feel like it's more like heavy equipment. Everything you need to know is here but I'm sure you already know that. More 3fe owners the better.

91 Fj80
23X,XXX miles and still chugging.

Bought from the states in 2015, spent a good couple months away from it and came back to it not being able to stay running, would turn over but immediately die. In short, once i got my hands on it i managed to bring it up to a decent baseline.
Replaced/fixed: MAF (keeping old one just incase), cracked accordian intake, hissing brake booster, power steering leak, failed PCV valve, heavy engine oil leak, upper radiator hose leak, cracked coolant sensor, sparkplugs/wires, distributer cap/rotor, failed alternator, fuel filter/pump, 02 sensors.
Working on: driver side wheel is leaking brake fluid, some body work (oxidized hood, roof, rust), warbling sound from engine bay, throwing codes 25/26 CEL code.
The truck is my DD, sees some light trails and will soon be my mobile detail rig. Ill be in the market for new suspension soon since i can feel every pebble on the road so suggestions are welcome. :D

91 Fj80
23X,XXX miles and still chugging.

Bought from the states in 2015, spent a good couple months away from it and came back to it not being able to stay running, would turn over but immediately die. In short, once i got my hands on it i managed to bring it up to a decent baseline.
Replaced/fixed: MAF (keeping old one just incase), cracked accordian intake, hissing brake booster, power steering leak, failed PCV valve, heavy engine oil leak, upper radiator hose leak, cracked coolant sensor, sparkplugs/wires, distributer cap/rotor, failed alternator, fuel filter/pump, 02 sensors.
Working on: driver side wheel is leaking brake fluid, some body work (oxidized hood, roof, rust), warbling sound from engine bay, throwing codes 25/26 CEL code, and a little clunky shift into gears.
The truck is my DD, sees light trails for the most part and soon to be my mobile detailing rig. Ill be in the market for suspension soon so suggestions are welcome. :D

Cool. Love to see some under hood pics and rust pics. How's the frame? Rust in an SC rig? Glad you like to work on cars. I feel like it's more like heavy equipment. Everything you need to know is here but I'm sure you already know that. More 3fe owners the better.

It lived in MD before i got ahold of it. After i low sided my FZ09 and tore my knee all to hell the wife said the bike's gotta go. So i countered her reasoning with more illogical behavior and acquired the 3FE. Did I mention I hate money? True to my luck, my first fill up and the condition of the charcoal canister split the gas tank a the seam. Ordered a used tank, replacement vapor canister, and going to do the fuel pump, sock, fuel filter and any lines that need it while I'm already soaked in gas and throwing money in the hole. Despite that and "the clonk", i really am enjoying it. if nothing else it's been a great conversation piece and won't likely try to kill me like my bike wanted to.

Due to the aforementioned injury, it'll be a bit before i can get some frame/rust body/engine pics; ill try to get some good ones when i do the tank drop. plus the weather here is s**t today. I'll get them up soon enough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom