3FE Owners Check-In (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HEy all need a quick answer wanting to purchase some steel 15 inch wheels today for my 91 cruiser will 15inch with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern be fine

Hello I am new to the forum. I have a 92FJ80, stock, with 265/70/16 BFG tires in it. Just picked it up this past Saturday. Need to clean the interior and have already started the usual, plugs, wires, etc. Really rolled to have one! I like this forum, you guys are great! Very knowledgeable! I look forward to looking at all the pictures and information.

I thought I had a water pump leak but it looks to be leaking from the hose wrapped around the driver side of the water pump. Anyone know what hose that is?

I thought I had a water pump leak but it looks to be leaking from the hose wrapped around the driver side of the water pump. Anyone know what hose that is?
Pictures please

Howdy, and thanks for having me! I own a 1992 fj80 3fe.

20170519_164324.jpg

Looks like green antifreeze hanging there, could it be coolant? Or was that from a sloppy pure :)

Everyone on here that has the rare and ultimate 3FE equipped 80 post here, and don't forget to mention any 3FE specific junk you've done!

Hopefully this will make it easier to find other 3FE owners to ask for help, etc. when that rare problem arises!

RE-Edit: aw hell, chat away, just give me enough info to compile it to a "database" type arrangement so that I can make a thread with everyone who has done what and who just owns the beastiest 80's

Vehicle: 1991 and 1992 FJ80's

Location: South Central North Carolina (Right near Uwharrie Nat'l Forrest)

3FE Junk: 1) Custom 2.5" Exhaust (pics to come)
2) De-smog (in progress, write-up to come)

3FE Issues: Coolant Loss (plastic tank crack, suspected rear heater and engine bay by-pass hoses)
So is there a general discussion thread for 3FE? Got the exhaust work done and one cat is clean and one cat is black, swapping plugs now to start the investigation. Also the guys had a fj55 roll in alongside mine, beautiful thing!

IMG_20170608_143552.jpg

IMG_20170608_162117.jpg

Matt, west central Florida 1991 FJ80 3FE w/285,874.9 original miles. Daily Driver. Had whole brake system done, new water pump, new radiator, head was redone after an overheat. Cats gutted, bought a used dizzy from a mudd vender couldn't be happier 32" Goodyear mtr . Needs new birfs, actuator motor, new springs and shocks. AC clutch replaced ect...That's what overtime is for. Love this rig. She runs great and looks rough same issues as most clear pealing on hood due to heat pad being removed prior to purchase But that's it really Won't ever sell her. I'll post pics after the florida rain is over.

Anybody got a rattle that gets audible only when you are deep in the throttle. Usually climbing a hill is the only time I here it. Has some irregularities to it. Thoughts, or places on the forums I should go look for answers.

Anybody got a rattle that gets audible only when you are deep in the throttle. Usually climbing a hill is the only time I here it. Has some irregularities to it. Thoughts, or places on the forums I should go look for answers.
I'm no pro but Ive owned a lot of old cars. If I have a rattle at higher RPM's I start with the exhaust system. Have someone get it up to the RPMs that the rattle starters and start listening in the engine compartment or under the truck.

I'm no pro but Ive owned a lot of old cars. If I have a rattle at higher RPM's I start with the exhaust system. Have someone get it up to the RPMs that the rattle starters and start listening in the engine compartment or under the truck.
I went on the trail and now it is much worse. But i never did more than a crawl, and very much a PG trail so I am at a loss as to why the issue got worse. Sound get loud under heavy load (hill climb) between 2 and 3000rpm. Goes away at higher rpms.

Second issue now is a lot of binding on low speed cornering, that was not present before.

Third I found a leak from the rear seal of the transfer case (see pic) and it seems the rear drive shaft as some lengthened itself by a 1/5 of an inch (see picture).

Any ideas as to what I did??

IMG_20170707_185057.jpg

the drive shaft adjusts for suspension travel. what your seeing is where you compressed the suspension and it just wiped the shaft at the slip joint. that's normal. just make sure you keep the drive shaft greased when greasing the u-jounts look for the seal around the cap to swell or when grease starts oozing out. My 80 is a 94 and there is a zerk on the side of the shaft to grease the slip joint, i am not sure when toyota added this option, your model may not have a zerk for the slip joint.

the rattle sounds like something with the exhaust follow the exhaust looking at hangers and angles, anything where the exhaust might touch.( you might see some rubbing marks) under heavy load your your drive drain is going to flex due to the torque from the engine. a loose motor or transmission mount might allow enough movement in the driveline to allow the exhaust pipe to move a 1/2 inch or so. also the resonance frequency of the exhaust could cause a vibration/rattle.

the binding while cornering could be due to lack of grease in the birfield joints in the front axle. when was the last time the knuckles were serviced or checked for grease?

also, looks like the rear seal on your transfer case is leaking pretty good.

i.m just down the road in F-V if your out and about you can stop by and i'll help you take a look at it. pm me for info.

also have you ever been to the clubhouse section of Ih8mud?
NC- Olde North State Cruisers

Last edited:
Bruce here from Winterpeg. Driving a 93 fj80 for the past 10years. At 316000 miles swapped in a fresher engine and trans n t case all at once. Big time saver. Also swapped axles with my 92 donor truck. Which provided factory e lockers wire harness etc. have installed the CDL switch and manual locking hubs. Awd/rwd/4wd. OME 2 1/2 in lift ARB bumper warn 6000 IPF driving lights. Rides on 285 Kelly's. Has the 3rd row seating and every thing works. As soon as my son leaves on his ventures(2weeks) with his "new"86 bj70 I can start paying attention to the 80. Need put flares on swap lift gate change n paint drivers door etc. donor provided rust free doors and both gate halves so no excuses. Except I keep beating it up. Vehicle from Phoenix originally. Paint cooked off by sun I Thot. Mainly dd lots of back country travel with kids I work with. (Even lil gang bangers are scared of the wilderness.) probably keep it forever.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am glad to see this section...Picked up a '91. I am like a spounge.....absorbing any and all thing related to this module. I am new....so it will take a bit to scan through the posts, before I know what I have and what mods would be the most beneficial for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom