3FE Owners Check-In (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I progress with my Project '91 with the 3FE motor....There will be 2 or 3 stages on my adjustments and modification to motor.

The first stage is a general tune up...plug points, cap rotor etc....I do not know anything about this motor yet, but I think there are some simple straight forward things I can do....to enhance her performance.

The second stage to begin making minor adjustments/replacements. Such as to remove the catilactic converters, open up the exhaust a bit....2 1/2 30 3 inch possibly. Taller tires possibly go 16" (285 x 75/16R) instead of the 31x10.50 currently on her. Will need to research the common problems for the 3FE and begin to address those concerns as they come up or if possible before I am stranded.

3rd stage astectic stuff....after market bumpers, wheel rims, wench and stuff.

The major thing write now.....is the motor. No clue on the maintenance or if anything has been done. I think I should change on the fluids....motor, transmissions, transfer case, differentials, radiators.

All this to say....I covet any and all thoughts, experience and concerns....as I proceed with my adventure. Thank you in advance...have a a great day.

Eventually will be looking for a second motor to rebuild while I am driving this one. When that happens, will more questions and suggestions. Right now, need to bring current motor up to the best I can.

I have heard this model has horrible fuel miles and lack of power....yet.my '83 did all I asked....so what happen or what is the different with this year and model? I am not into speed, more into low tongue and mountain climbing rig.

92 fj80 150xxx on the clock needs a tune up exhaust and some get around tires. Plans to do smog delete then fake rear axle lockers/gears and on to suspension and tires. And obviously the goodies to come

IMG_2518.JPG

93 cooked head gasket swapped motors from my 92 donor. Also trans trans case harness and both axles. Factory lockers New callipers rotors all around ARB bumper warn winch OME 2 1/2 in lift 285s on factory rims. Dd and weekend escape vehicle. Will keep it forever as it's perfect for my lifestyle. Dog loves the back windows wife likes the AC. Takes me anywhere I want to go. Wife likes privacy and we always have our dog.
Needs body work- DIY and new exhaust. Well anywhere I look I see work pm of some kind. But am way to busy driving the crap out if it right now. Originally from phoenix.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey fellow Cruisers!

Truck: 1991 FJ80, bought last week. Purchased for a weekend camping/overlanding-ish vehicle. Not a daily.
290,000mi, pretty much stock. Only has a Double din deck with back up camera. Awesome presentation when I checked it out, test drove it and bought it. Was thinking about doing service and maintenance until.....

Was driving down the freeway when my AC,windows, radio, sunroof, RPMs, volt meter, temp gauge stopped working. didn't lose power or anything crazy while driving. But car was completely dead the next day. terminal was loose. so tightened it. tried to jump it. no dice. Also have a red light on above my volt meter lol. did i mention i just got this lol -_____-

PS: currently searching what this red light means.... If you have any suggestions PM me:)

edit. Found what the red light indicates.

Last edited:
Well that musta been a shocker in a new vehicle. So you know what your light means. Q is why. Best guess is alternator. You will get good direction from others more knowledgable. Welcome post some pics. 1st land cruiser?

Well that musta been a shocker in a new vehicle. So you know what your light means. Q is why. Best guess is alternator. You will get good direction from others more knowledgable. Welcome post some pics. 1st land cruiser?

Yes. It was a shocker. Ive been reading multiple threads today. Most leaning towards the alternator. This is my first land cruiser. wont be my last. How are most of you guys loading pics? i use photobucket on other forums.

Yes. It was a shocker. Ive been reading multiple threads today. Most leaning towards the alternator. This is my first land cruiser. wont be my last. How are most of you guys loading pics? i use photobucket on other forums.
When you hit reply you will see upload file, tap on it, choose, then waitn watch, once loaded tap, post reply once 100% shows

image.jpg

As I progress with my Project '91 with the 3FE motor....There will be 2 or 3 stages on my adjustments and modification to motor.

The first stage is a general tune up...plug points, cap rotor etc....I do not know anything about this motor yet, but I think there are some simple straight forward things I can do....to enhance her performance.

The second stage to begin making minor adjustments/replacements. Such as to remove the catilactic converters, open up the exhaust a bit....

3rd stage astectic stuff....after market bumpers, wheel rims, wench and stuff.

The major thing write now.....is the motor. No clue on the maintenance or if anything has been done. I think I should change on the fluids....motor, transmissions, transfer case, differentials, radiators.

Can't contribute much, but I'm in the same boat as you. Our plans are pretty similar, so hopefully that's some validation. Good luck!

Everyone on here that has the rare and ultimate 3FE equipped 80 post here, and don't forget to mention any 3FE specific junk you've done!

Hopefully this will make it easier to find other 3FE owners to ask for help, etc. when that rare problem arises!

RE-Edit: aw hell, chat away, just give me enough info to compile it to a "database" type arrangement so that I can make a thread with everyone who has done what and who just owns the beastiest 80's

Vehicle: 1991 and 1992 FJ80's

Location: South Central North Carolina (Right near Uwharrie Nat'l Forrest)

3FE Junk: 1) Custom 2.5" Exhaust (pics to come)
2) De-smog (in progress, write-up to come)

3FE Issues: Coolant Loss (plastic tank crack, suspected rear heater and engine bay by-pass hoses)

Glad I came across this. Looking forward to see what others have done, as begin to refurbish my ‘91’. I am new to this FJ80 with the 3FE motor..... Want to Desmog my rig.....I can do that here in Montana.

'91 FJ80 287k miles Not running right now.... Been through everything on the fuel system and have great clean fuel pressure at the rail. I have no Fire on the plug when removed. Had a buddy pull codes out of the ECM and have no RPM signal when cranking. Have been told that there is no crank position sensor on a 3fe. I have new spark mod, coil, distributor, wires, plugs, button and cap. I think its the ECM need to get it remanned or find a good used one. Hit me at mwilkins65@gmail.com if you have any ideas.

Have you check the EFI relay? It's in the engine compartment fusebox on the drivers side.

Have you check the EFI relay? It's in the engine compartment fusebox on the drivers side.[/QUOTE]

Josey
yes I
have checked the relay and replaced it. The computer fires up as far as we know because the scanner was able to pull codes out of it. I have heard of a undersized wiring issue also.

Have you check the EFI relay? It's in the engine compartment fusebox on the drivers side.

Josey
yes I
have checked the relay and replaced it. The computer fires up as far as we know because the scanner was able to pull codes out of it. I have heard of a undersized wiring issue also.[/QUOTE]
Yea, under the fuse box on drivers side. Mine was done before I bought it. Fusible links? When I had my starting issue I just started replacing anything that was old. I found a rubbed wire going to my fuel pump. It was a bugger to find because when it was working no problem noticed. I required the pump and shrieked wrapped it all to avoid issues down the road

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom