3FE Owners Check-In (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank goodness no. I caught it with two nuts still on the bolts- by about 4 turns each.
Fan is missing several blades, but all the hoses etc are intact.
I am not clear on how the fan is missing a few blades? Was it so loose that it was hitting the fan shroud??

Ouch! Glad you caught it before it took out the radiator!

NEW (to me) 1991 FJ80
Totally stock with new radiator.
315xxx miles and still as I remember my buddy's '92 FJ80 back in 1995.

Pierce County, Washington near the Carbon river.

Looking forward to many projects!
So a nearly 6 year update check in.

Just about 390k on the original engine.

Added (in order of memory, not installation):

ARB touring rack and FSR RTT

33"x10.50 Wildpeaks

Westcott Designs hitch mount tire carrier (for sale in classified's overland section)

Ironman 4x4 Front bumper

Ironman 12k winch with synthetic line

Delta center console (WHAT A DIFFERENCE!)

Front and rear facing cameras

Firestone air bags in the rear with FS heavy duty compressor and 1.5g tank. (Mounted above the factory spare tire crossbar.)

FS guage and switches installed to Delta console

Dobinsons springs (progressive 2") with Dobinsons steering stabilizer

Replaced the hood and lift gate struts.

Desmogged

Near Future:

Dobinsons rear bumper

New catless downpipes with new O2 sensors

Looking at a hard shell RTT

Maybe a different (read lighter) roof rack

Paint

How are you liking the bumper? Was just looking at them today
Love it. Super easy install done by myself. A little heavy but being two pieces made the difference. Lights were very easy to wire up. Schematics aren't great but if you've ever installed vehicle electrics, you'll be fine. Fit and finish is awesome. Folks at the shop in Sherwood are very helpful and very informative.

Great result on a nice 1991 3FE today on BAT. Truck seemed like a nice example with a decent repaint, medium mileage, and major mechanicals done. It needed OEM bumpers, lights lenses, mud flaps, and stainless trim to be right, but it really looked like a nice one. A bidding war brought the price up a little higher than I anticipated but maybe the clean 3FE's have finally found their audience.

Just because there is NEVER enough 3FE shots on MUD!!!

09CF33B2-36B6-4B37-9DDA-0686C3B45758_1_105_c.jpeg
F54AB5DE-8E84-4617-AC46-89CC264C4F42_1_105_c.jpeg
A0215033-614A-4CCA-B444-3A9F0121532C_1_105_c.jpeg
EB2D38CF-6E99-4F61-81F1-0049BD8FD654_1_105_c.jpeg

Driving the 3FE is actually lots of fun. You have to really learn how to drive it to get the best out of the engine. You really have to work thru the gears in the 4440F in all types of road condition, and not afraid to down s*** to 2nd or 1st gear on steep climbs or keep your rev. above ~4k. Simply putting it in "D" is not gonna cut it unless you are putting around in town. Anybody agree or disagree?
Screenshot_20200317-173601_Photos.jpg

Driving the 3FE is actually lots of fun. You have to really learn how to drive it to get the best out of the engine. You really have to work thru the gears in the 4440F in all types of road condition, and not afraid to down s*** to 2nd or 1st gear on steep climbs or keep your rev. above ~4k. Simply putting it in "D" is not gonna cut it unless you are putting around in town. Anybody agree or disagree?
View attachment 2907342
That’s what I have to do. Pulling up hills at 9k’ going 45 in 2nd gear. But hey, since the fan is fixed it feels like a new truck!

Great result on a nice 1991 3FE today on BAT. Truck seemed like a nice example with a decent repaint, medium mileage, and major mechanicals done. It needed OEM bumpers, lights lenses, mud flaps, and stainless trim to be right, but it really looked like a nice one. A bidding war brought the price up a little higher than I anticipated but maybe the clean 3FE's have finally found their audience.

Wow. It is surprising and not surprising how FJ80s have shot up in value. I bought my early '91 FJ80 6 years ago locally off craigslist for $5k (rust free original condition, ~160k miles, NM all its life). I really wanted a nice 60 series, but couldn't afford it at the time (and for sure not now!).

I was then drawn to the FJ80s because they were a great deal at the time, selling well below similar condition FZJ80s, and their simpler interior had aged better. I didn't care about the lower power compared to the FZJ80 figuring who cares, the FJZ80 was underpowered too when looking at them through an (at the time) 2016 lens. To me, the FJ80s were undervalued, and I was happy to get one, and it wasn't particularly hard to find one.

All that to say that I am kind of torn. I am happy that something I own has appreciated in value, but it is also sad that the cost of interesting and hardcore 4x4s has shot through the roof so much. That is a ton of money up front to be spending on a 30 year old rig. It is mind boggling to read the comments on those BAT auctions where people are talking about how good of a deal it is.

View attachment 2907342
Totally agree that outside of town, leaving it in drive doesn't cut it. I had owned my FJ80 for some months before I read someone's post here where they mentioned they drop the transmission into "3" or even "2" on long steeper grades on highway runs. That was an "oh, duh" style revelation I hadn't thought to do and it keeps that annoying gear hunting thing from going on where it wants to drop into 4th slowing you down even more. I had been using "1" and "2" off road already.

But yea, on this vehicle I have used the gear positions way more than any other auto trans vehicle I have owned.

Totally agree that outside of town, leaving it in drive doesn't cut it. I had owned my FJ80 for some months before I read someone's post here where they mentioned they drop the transmission into "3" or even "2" on long steeper grades on highway runs. That was an "oh, duh" style revelation I hadn't thought to do and it keeps that annoying gear hunting thing from going on where it wants to drop into 4th slowing you down even more. I had been using "1" and "2" off road already.

But yea, on this vehicle I have used the gear positions way more than any other auto trans vehicle I have owned.
Just zipped over vail pass and back, did pretty well, but I did notice that a couple times I wanted to put in 2 and despite the shift lever being in 2, the gears wouldn’t change. But a different time it did. Any clue why?

View attachment 2907342
Agree 100%. The 3FE is a rig that is designed to be 'actively' driven versus 'passively' driven, like all the new cars.

I just bought a 3fe bus. Was looking through the books. Any one know what options 740 are.
Oh it's a Stock vx she's never even been lifted. So I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to follow.

20220131_215333.jpg

Hi, all!

Had to make a new account, boo...

1992 FJ80, center locked. Checking in.

Done SO much work on her the last 4 years it's hard to know where to start. Needless to say, she is well cared for and runs like a top. A couple drops of oil in the garage every night and slow windows, but you all know that.

Have never loved a vehicle more.

92 3FE owner here too, center locked etc.

I desmogged mine as soon as I could (EGR, AI & Pump, & Cats) and with lots of trips to the garage for work out of my comfort zone, and lots of work that is in my comfort zone, I'm blown away by how well it runs compared to when I first got it. (Fixing the exhaust leaks made the biggest difference).

Frustrating thing is, I'm still getting super low MPG compared to "posted" averages. 8mpg with city driving only and 12 with highway. I know that most are getting low averages, but my exhaust has such a noticeable fuel smell that I'm sure there is an inefficiency somewhere in there. Is an injector overhaul or valve adjustment going to make any real difference here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom