3FE Owners Check-In (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2647365View attachment 2647366

Here's a picture of "the twins"! Coz one FJ80 just ain't enuff! The real one is pretty much bone stock with 234000 miles (US truck). I did the front birfs awhile ago & slid some Dobinson suspension under it a year or so ago. It's not a daily driver anymore but still sees regular softroad offroad in season. Still a very solid & dependable rig.
Hey how does the dobinson suspension compare to OME? Thanks

Well the OEM stuff was getting pretty tired, so ANY upgrade would be night & day. That being said, I'm really happy with the Dobinson kit. It provided a slight increase in ride height & obviously much stiffer but not in a harsh way. Potholes & bumps don't upset the steering & the truck feels much more stable. I have nothing else to compare it with but I'm very pleased with what I got. As an aside, I put Meister R coilovers on my 92 Miata last Fall & found the same effect (except lower!). Much more planted, less body roll, no more bump stop strikes! For me in both cases, it made sense to go with a quality manufacturer who had already done the hard work & put together a package which was vehicle specific. I wasn't disappointed.

Help!!! Early 1992 3FE
I cannot get the distributor to turn to adjust the timing. Read several threads and watched several vids but none specifically say how to loosen the distributor and I cannot get the damn thing to turn. I loosened the only bolt I found down on the right side just beneath the distributor. I’m afraid I’ll break something if I take a pry bar to it. Anyone know what I’m missing?

It is the one bolt and then turn. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a seized distributer shaft. It is going to take some pb blaster. And tapping to get loose. Be careful and good luck!

One of the nicest 3FE 92 LC's I have seen in a while. Last one really sold well. This one looks to be 100% original.

Hi all,
At 205,000 miles my 3FE suddenly started overheating. It'll run fine for 20-30 minutes at normal operating temp, then spike up and when I pull over coolant is overflowing. I replaced the radiator, cap, hoses and fan clutch 5000 miles ago. Note- apparently a certain idiot (me) didn't install the brand new thermostat sitting in my parts kit, been running the past 5000 w/no thermostat. First thought was an air bubble so I flushed the system 3 times with distilled, refilled with distilled/Toyo red, issue continues.
Obviously head gasket comes to mind, but:
-oil is clean, no coolant, changed and checked
-coolant is clean
-tested for exhaust gases in coolant, negative
-no white smoke
I'm leaning heavily towards water pump, looking for other ideas before I disassemble the girl. If I do the water pump, aside from the obvious (all hoses) anything else I should do while I'm in there since fan clutch is practically new? Going to pull the radiator for access and rebuild the PS while I'm at it.
Thanks in advance!

Hi all,
At 205,000 miles my 3FE suddenly started overheating. It'll run fine for 20-30 minutes at normal operating temp, then spike up and when I pull over coolant is overflowing. I replaced the radiator, cap, hoses and fan clutch 5000 miles ago. Note- apparently a certain idiot (me) didn't install the brand new thermostat sitting in my parts kit, been running the past 5000 w/no thermostat. First thought was an air bubble so I flushed the system 3 times with distilled, refilled with distilled/Toyo red, issue continues.
Obviously head gasket comes to mind, but:
-oil is clean, no coolant, changed and checked
-coolant is clean
-tested for exhaust gases in coolant, negative
-no white smoke
I'm leaning heavily towards water pump, looking for other ideas before I disassemble the girl. If I do the water pump, aside from the obvious (all hoses) anything else I should do while I'm in there since fan clutch is practically new? Going to pull the radiator for access and rebuild the PS while I'm at it.
Thanks in advance!
which brand/aftermarket radiator did you replace with?

My wife @CatskillsRunner and I are joining the 80 series fray again….

08/1991 (MY1992) FJ80.

Picked it up from Northern New Mexico and of course had to make a pit stop to my old stomping grounds….

B0D7C3DC-2312-4EB6-8195-43DC36159663.jpeg

Lots of restorative work coming up on this survivor. Future plans (once 3F-E or the A440F craps the bed) will be a 2UZ swap.

My wife @CatskillsRunner and I are joining the 80 series fray again….

08/1991 (MY1992) FJ80.

Picked it up from Northern New Mexico and of course had to make a pit stop to my old stomping grounds….

View attachment 2689494

Lots of restorative work coming up on this survivor. Future plans (once 3F-E or the A440F craps the bed) will be a 2UZ swap.
Looks sweet Onur. Glad you are rejoining the 80 crowd. Details on the survivor - poverty pack? Look.s like it has the 16" alloys which is nice. Looking forward to what you do with it.

Looks sweet Onur. Glad you are rejoining the 80 crowd. Details on the survivor - poverty pack? Look.s like it has the 16" alloys which is nice. Looking forward to what you do with it.

Lots of things will be happening with this truck. Incrementally.

I’ll be starting a thread on it later and outlining our plans (after 7 years of no 80 series and many, many years of experience now behind me).

I should clarify: this is my wife’s truck. I am merely project manager, parts procurement and labor.

She will be driving the direction of the build 💯

Just finished a 2500 mile round trip from LA to the Eastern Sierra, Vegas, Moab, Utah, and back to LA. 4 ppl, 4 tents, 4 chairs, 2 folding tables, 2 coolers, fishing gear, extra fuel, 5 gallons of water, extra oil, 4 gallons of fuel, recovery gear, spare parts, tools. Avg. 8-10 mpg fully loaded with AC......not too shabby.
20210604_131056.jpg
20210605_120304.jpg
20210605_214137.jpg
20210604_125052.jpg

Alright Marco...

I need to look up your truck. That is a lot of gear for a 3fe. I'll be researching what you have done.

The trip looks like a lot of fun!!

Alright Marco...

I need to look up your truck. That is a lot of gear for a 3fe. I'll be researching what you have done.

The trip looks like a lot of fun!!
Mostly upgraded cooling system...Have a Ron Davis put in a couple yrs back, added dual pusher fan for AC and tranny cooler, hood vents, desmog, adjusted timing, Fan clutch mod....etc. otherwise, engine is stock.

I looked up your rig and found a pick of your engine bay. Besides being very well sorted I was amazed to see it stock. I am assuming a regear to 4.88+ for the tires but otherwise stock. You have one of the better capable 3FEs I have seen built.

This makes me smile knowing 33s with a 2" lift, bumpers and desmog are well with in reach.

I have only driven my 3fe about 20 mi sense I owned it and it have never run right so it is hard to get a feel for what it is like to drive.

Have fun out there!

I looked up your rig and found a pick of your engine bay. Besides being very well sorted I was amazed to see it stock. I am assuming a regear to 4.88+ for the tires but otherwise stock. You have one of the better capable 3FEs I have seen built.

This makes me smile knowing 33s with a 2" lift, bumpers and desmog are well with in reach.

I have only driven my 3fe about 20 mi sense I owned it and it have never run right so it is hard to get a feel for what it is like to drive.

Have fun out there!
Thank you, my 91 was bone stock 1 owner from Arizona when i got her, and have done the transformation slowly by myself. Started with a 3" lift on 33s, 35s and now 37s. 4.88 is perfect for it...but could could probably benefit from 5.29 more for towing or pulling steep grades. It has front and rear ARB air lockers which works flawlessly since after upgrading to stainless air lines...Desmog and advanced timing is probably the biggest performance gain other than keeping up with maintenance and such. I can't remember. but it pulls much stronger now the way it sits than when i first got her...probably because most of the solenoids and vacuum lines were on in bad condition. The cooling is probably the most important upgrade for it since the motor makes alot of excessive heat and retains alot due to all cast iron block design....for the most part, the stock cooling is adequate for putting around town, but once u get bumpers, sliders, skids and such, you will want to upgrade cooling not soon after.
Fj80 - Imgur.jpg

@marco. I have never been one to think an LC is slow. My previous FZJ80s never had a problem with what ever I threw at them. I would do 1000 mi mountain biking trips with 6 people, 6 bikes and all our gear. Always did 65 to 70 on the hwy with stock gear and 33s.

With 4.88 and 33s it the 3fe should be just fine. Now that I have kids my pro4x is the camper/toy hauler. My 80 is going to be the rig to get me into the woods and go on my personal trips.

Your 80 has a lot of capability added to it and it looks damn good too!

I found the desmog posts. That is going to be top of the list after entire brake system (on order) and failed shocks are replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom